Overcarb'd vs. unbalanced system ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Hey maybe a stupid question: is there a difference between overcarb'd keg and an unbalanced system (e.g. Too short beer line, too warm beer, dirty lines, etc) ?

Everyone talks about fixing an overcarb'd beer by either turning the gas off and venting over a period of hours to the method discussed in the sticky by switching the quick disconnects. But if you're keg is overcarb'd, couldn't you fix by balancing the system?

I could be wrong. But I think an overcarbed keg will make foamy beer. Due to the fact that there's just too much CO2 in the beer, once it's out of a pressurized system it will release at a higher rate. Balancing a system helps to reduce foam by effectively setting a pour rate and the pressure at the tap to 0 PSI.

If the beer is overcarbed, then the beer will have too much carbonation. The fact that that may make the pour foamy isn't the major problem. You want to carb your beers properly (which can either mean to style or to your tastes.)

You also want your dispensing system set up with proper line lengths so that beers, with the carb levels you target, will pour properly.

You don't want to be adjusting the balance of your dispense system to deal with an improperly carbed keg.

Brew on :mug:

[...]But I guess it sounds like it really isn't truly overcarb'd until you the 4 CO2 volume range; depending on temp.

How'd you get to that conclusion?

Middle-of-the-road carbonation for ales is in the 2.4-2.5 volume range.
If you tune a dispensing system for that, tapping a 3 volume beer will likely show signs of CO2 breakout at the faucet. 4 would be untamed...

Cheers!

How'd you get to that conclusion?

Middle-of-the-road carbonation for ales is in the 2.4-2.5 volume range.
If you tune a dispensing system for that, tapping a 3 volume beer will likely show signs of CO2 breakout at the faucet. 4 would be untamed...

Cheers!

The chart at the link posted denotes over carb'd as being after 4 (depending on temp). But that's why I was asking if there us a difference between being over carbonated and just having an unbalanced system.

The chart at the link posted denotes over carb'd as being after 4 (depending on temp). But that's why I was asking if there us a difference between being over carbonated and just having an unbalanced system.

I think you misinterpreted the color bands vs the key at the bottom of the table. The yellow band is noted as being suited for highly carbonated styles, while the red band is noted as being "over-carbed" for all but a very few styles.

Ie: for a 2.5 volume beer, 2.6 volumes is over-carbonated, never mind 4 volumes...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back