Outdoor glycol chiller and outdoor fermentation chambers cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksullivan86

Reaction score
I have every little room so I am forced to use the outside, if turned part of my side hard into my brew area as I have my rig moderator and brewing storage (Rubbermaid totes with a outdoor furniture cover). I have been brewing for awhile my problem is my fermentation chamber is an my kegerator i built and I only have room for (2 buckets, or 3 kegs) so my plan is to build a glycol chiller and a fermentation chamber to shield vessels from the elements. I'm in SF bay area so heat in the summer and rain in winter. My idea is to use the a.c. Unit I got for $25 from Craigslist(11000 btu portable unit) this unit has a hose that blows hot exhaust air out. I will put the chiller components in a rain proof deck box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-50-Gal-Resin-Deck-Box-DB5500J/203701366
I paid $63 on eBay. I plan on puting a hole on the side of the box and pulling out part of the exhaust air tube to make a cane shape for a rain proof design. (I'm thinking a deck box is the easiest/ cheapest option for a box that is good for outside vs building one out of plywood since the plywood I would need isn't cheap) The system will be controlled by craftbeerpi. I would use a 3/4"(I think?) tubing to create a loop from the glycol container and back in. I will use a ball valve in the middle of the tubing to create separate cold and warm lines and each fermentation chamber will branch off and have a (I'm thinking 1/4") cold and warm lines with a ball valve somewhere to turn it on and off. As for the outside fermentation chamber I'm thinking several trash cans that are insulated. I'm thinking a smaller trash can (32 gal) inside a bigger one (44 gal) filled with insulation with an insulated lid. I am also thinking of making a taller version for a conical with another insulated trash can upside down as the lid and maybe a cutout door so I would have access to the dump/ sample valve. The chambers will sit on top the deck box and/or on the side and I'm planning on using a maybe 3 inch plastic pipe inside larger diameter ducting filled with insulation for any glycol transfer hoses and temp sensors/valve wiring. This setup will be completely modular with enough power for as many chambers i can build. really Does anyone have any input/ ideas for me.

Do you think this will work? What do you guys think? Has anyone done anything like this? Hope this makes sense as I'm typing this while on pain killers.

Also I'm thinking of putting a small computer can on the lid of each trash can that kicks on during cooling for a more uniform environment.

To add to this i was think if I wanted could also make an aide cooled chamber by using a radiator and fan. Might be usefull but idk has anyone ever tried something like that? I am thinking this could be used to store grain in the summer.

Last edited:
Back