Out of Libya and enjoyinbg an Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh, back in the US. I evacuated out of Libya about a week ago. I was the last person out of the embassy. I spent the last week in Germany getting my brain picked. And now I am back in the good ol' US of A.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in the beer in Germany. Don't get me wrong, as far as pilsners and hefeweizen type beers go they are masters. But if you are the least bit of a hop head it is fairly boring there beer wise (unless I was overlooking some).

And I was really fixing for some hops. The last home brews I did weren't all that hoppy. So on this first day back in the US, DC to be exact, I made my way to a bar with Arrogant Bastard and DFH 60 min on tap.

The past few weeks have sucked big time. This is just what I needed. :mug:

What the hell were you doing in Libya?

I was there on vacation. It was a toss up between the Cayman islands and Libya. So of course I went with Libya. ;)

No, I work (worked?) at the US embassy. All my worldly possessions, to include my homebrew gear, are still there. But I am just happy, thrilled, ecstatic to have my family out of there. Looking out your bedroom window, watching tracer rounds fly over your house, while your 1-year-old son is sleeping in the crib next to you is quite a horrible feeling. Surreal and terrifying at the same time.

I fear for the people who can't leave.

I'm so glad you posted! I thought of you during the beginning of the crisis and watched the news to see if our diplomats had been evacuated. Glad to hear that you and your family are home safely.

You were leaving Libya soon anyway, right? Do you know what's next for you?

I'm so glad you posted! I thought of you during the beginning of the crisis and watched the news to see if our diplomats had been evacuated. Glad to hear that you and your family are home safely.

You were leaving Libya soon anyway, right? Do you know what's next for you?

I wasn't actually scheduled to leave until May 2012. Right now I am on TDY (temporary duty). It looks like they will be sending be around to embassies where they are short handed for a few weeks or months at a time. I think I will be headed over to Zimbabwe for a bit.

Back