Other hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyto

Reaction score
I am sure this has been done before, but what the heck.

What are your other hobbies?

Mine is modifying and building audio equipment, then listening to music while I drink my home brew. In the glass is an oatmeal stout I bottled in May. Mostly classic rock and jazz.

george shearing oatmeal.jpg

Attachments

• george shearing oatmeal.jpg
    george shearing oatmeal.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 55
I ferment everything (beer, wine, food like hot peppers, cheese, sauerkraut, kombucha, and more), make soap and other body products, hunt and fish, forage for mushrooms and other edibles, read, paint (both oil and acrylic), hike, travel a lot, kayak, garden, grow native wildflowers, grow fruit trees and bushes, cook, can pickles and other things like venison, build fun things for brewing like a couple of kegerators and my electric brewery addtions, and am a BJCP judge for beer competitions.

I think that's most of it. I'm a relatively high energy person.

I've had many hobbies throughout my lifetime. Currently the #1 is golf but a bum hip has been keeping me from it for a few months. The hip has also put a damper on hiking.

In the past it's been mountain and road bicycling, running, High Power Rifle competition, and spending far too much time and money modifying a perfectly good 2008 Mustang by building and installing engines, installing superchargers, learning how to tune the aforementioned supercharged motors, changing out all the parts that will fail with the increase of power, etc. It was an expensive midlife experience.

I'm a serial hobbiest. I have a few that go in and out. But I seem to be going a little slower as I've gotten older - they're sticking with me longer now, for the most part.

Current:
Brewing
Tobacco Pipe Smoking (20+ years, sure, we'll call it a "hobby")
Cigar Smoking ~5 Years
BBQ/Grilling/Smoking
Woodturning - Brewing has decreased my turning time immensely!
Saltwater Aquarium - I've had this for over 20 years. It's about to go by the wayside though. Don't seem to have much interest now though.

Recently into gardening. I have herbs, peppers and tomatoes growing at this time. Tried some yellow squash and zucchini earlier in the year but the zucchinis got worms and the yellow squash got killed by the heat. I got some banana plants from Amazon and potted then 2 days ago. Need to figure out what grows when here in Florida.

I also take wildlife photos, though that has been on the decline for a while. Canon Eos Rebel T5i with a Canon 100-400mm lens and 1.7 extender.IMG_1349.JPG

Kayaking, biking, bread making, hot sauce, sausage making,

Gold panning is my main non brewing hobby but I do enjoy whitewater kayaking, Mt biking, hiking, my herb and vegetable garden, and starting today baking. I am trying to make my first spent grain bread err first bread period got about 15 minutes before I find out if I made bread or hardtack.

Gold panning is my main non brewing hobby but I do enjoy whitewater kayaking, Mt biking, hiking, my herb and vegetable garden, and starting today baking. I am trying to make my first spent grain bread err first bread period got about 15 minutes before I find out if I made bread or hardtack.
I have just gotten into bread making myself and having a blast. Join us on this thread with your success or failures. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/homemade-bread-thread.457601/

Would like to hear more of your gold panning adventures.

I'm a full-time daddy so I guess most of my hobbies of binge-watching Sesame Street and Pokemon and wiping poop from a two-year-old are really more of a job. I also bake artisan breads, do food photography as a side gig, I'm somewhat of an audiophile & headphone enthusiast (I've built a few tube amps and DACs) and I frequently concoct passive income schemes that never pan out.

Nice! I also like building and modifying stereo components. I have some Magnepans that I plan on actively bi-amping with a Marchand crossover as soon as I get off my wallet and decide on what amps to use. Did you design and build that phono preamp (or whatever it is) yourself?

Nice! I also like building and modifying stereo components. I have some Magnepans that I plan on actively bi-amping with a Marchand crossover as soon as I get off my wallet and decide on what amps to use. Did you design and build that phono preamp (or whatever it is) yourself?

I built it from a schematic but made changes, yes it is a phono preamp. I changed the output circuit to use 6SN7 tubes instead of 12AU7, added switches and wired the 2 gain stages so I could use 12AX7 or Russian 6N2P tubes. Built the power supply in a remote box and put step up transformers inside to accommodate moving coil cartridges. I can't design from scratch but I can build from a schematic and make changes to circuits I understand. I was a CET in the 70s.

I also enjoy beer and audio. Below is a photo of my 2 channel and surround sound systems.

IMG_1132.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 39
I got back into flying and guitar playing, in addition to brewing, since I retired.

Brew on :mug:

I stumbled upon VASAviation on YouTube. I actually find it interesting. It is totally amazing the professionalism of the pilots and the air controllers even when one is facing extreme life threatening situations. Unfortunately, as can be heard on YouTube, not all incidents have a favorable outcome.

I have clients that fly regularly and I always wanted to. Just never enough time.

Safe travels...

gardening ,leather working ,always been a woodworker,listening to music, cigars/whiskey and as of recently my motorcycle hobby since 2003 is turning to the 35 yr long awaited attention of the resurrection of a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 5 window pickup that I got Monday .

Besides fermenting everything, Hiking/backpacking, tobacco pipe collecting (less smoking these days because I prefer to keep my taste buds sharp for BJCP activities), archeology (I participate in local digs when I can, and have gone as far as Cyprus for digging/training), fishing, I'll bake bread now and again, reading, writing short stories and maybe a novel someday, sport/target shooting.. Mostly just working too much recently though, need to get my focus back into balance

Klipsch Fortes?

Correct, sightly modified: titanium tweeter, recapped crossovers with upgraded caps and bi-amped. Pioneer SX-1980 (270 wpc) driving the woofers, Dynaco tube amp driving the mids and tweeters, Dynaco tube pre-amp replacing the solid state pre-amp in the Pioneer.

Home theater system is Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and SVS PB12+2 subwoofer driven by a 140 wpc x7 Pioneer Elite receiver.

It goes without saying I like my music at live concert volume levels, mainly classic rock and metal.

I also enjoy beer and audio. Below is a photo of my 2 channel and surround sound systems.

Are those Klipsch speakers with the stained wood finish and brass looking logo on the front grill? I'd guess they were Heresy's but they look a little too narrow to be Heresy's in the photo.

Correct, sightly modified: titanium tweeter, recapped crossovers with upgraded caps and bi-amped. Pioneer SX-1980 (270 wpc) driving the woofers, Dynaco tube amp driving the mids and tweeters, Dynaco tube pre-amp replacing the solid state pre-amp in the Pioneer.

Home theater system is Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and SVS PB12+2 subwoofer driven by a 140 wpc x7 Pioneer Elite receiver.

It goes without saying I like my music at live concert volume levels, mainly classic rock and metal.
I am a Klipsch man myself, La Scalas are my main speakers.

Woodworking
Biking (sorry, "Cycling")
Driving my wife and daughters crazy (I really don't spend enough time on this one, but it is rewarding)
Teeny bit of gardening/lawncare (I have trouble growing grass in the yard, but in the sidewalk and driveway, I excel)

Are those Klipsch speakers with the stained wood finish and brass looking logo on the front grill? I'd guess they were Heresy's but they look a little too narrow to be Heresy's in the photo.

They are Forte 1 speakers, Hersey’s are shorter. The tall black speakers are Klipsch RF-7’s.

I started a hi fi stereo thread please jump in there, I am b and w fan. But lots of good discourse and makes a great thread for those looking to up their game. I have 6 systems set up in my house. Haha, last night we were watching Godzilla in the garage. The garage system is a vintage marantz and b and w v202s. Would love to add all your great thoughts there and talk about how they sound.

Ot, I have lots of hobbies and lots more thanks to hbt!! I have learned an incredible amount here and still feel like I'm growing.

I started a hi fi stereo thread please jump in there, I am b and w fan. But lots of good discourse and makes a great thread for those looking to up their game. I have 6 systems set up in my house. Haha, last night we were watching Godzilla in the garage. The garage system is a vintage marantz and b and w v202s. Would love to add all your great thoughts there and talk about how they sound.

Ot, I have lots of hobbies and lots more thanks to hbt!! I have learned an incredible amount here and still feel like I'm growing.
I searched but couldn't find the thread, can you post or pm a link?

Thanks

A handful. I'm a minor electronic tinkerer. I work on fixing minor things and am really into screwing around with software. I also play guitar, though I admit that I haven't been as practiced in that discipline lately. But I go through fits then pick it up. Winter is coming and my desire to spend all day inside noodling on guitar. My main hobby right now is pretty much just D&D. Myself and my gf each run a game alternating between weeks. My game is in a homebrewed world using 5e and she's currently running Tomb of Annihilation. This hobby has mainly consumed us as I've gotten a 3D printer with the main purpose of printing minis. She's done a ton of painting and purchasing of minis. We've gotten massive collections of expensive accessories including DM screens, dice trays, etc.

Back