Other Half Daydream (oat cream IPAs) - all grain clone attempts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you ferment it? I've been pitching around 68, bumping to 70 on Day 2 when I add DH1, bump to 72 on Day 3 and let it finish out at 72. I seem to get the most stone fruit out of it when I use this schedule.

Well, I've never used it before, but I pitched at 74 since I was wasting too much water trying to get it any colder and was too lazy to come back and pitch later, but brought it down to 68 to where it's been since then. I had planned on letting it chill there for a while until the end of fermentation and was going to raise it a little.

Thanks for your input.

Update on the clone attempt...

Color is getting there and the flavor isn't too far off, but its still carbing and conditioning. The flavor will mellow and smooth over the next couple days. Good mouthfeel. More to come and a picture in a glass for comparison.

I made some last minute changes to the finale recipe. Here is what went down on brew day:

5 gal batch
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.020
ABV ~6%

FERMENTABLES

56% 7.3 2-Row - US

20% 2.6 Flaked Oats - US

10% 1.25 White Wheat - US

8% 1 Rice/ Oat Hulls

8% 1 Carafoam (Weyermann)

HOPS

0.5 Citra Pellet First Wort 0 min

1.5 Citra Pellet Boil 10 min

4 Citra Pellet Hop Stand 30 min (@ 165* )

3 Citra Pellet Dry Hop 7 days (added day 3/ high krausen)

3 Citra Pellet Dry Hop 5 days (added day 7 post fermentation)

YEAST

1 Gigayeast packets 1L Vermont yeast starter 80

EXTRAS

1 lb lactose 0 min FlameOut

Mash 157 60
Mash pH ~5.2-5.5 (still working on my pH mash adjustments)
Mash Out 169 15

Fermentation 1 68* 10

NOTES

Whirlpool at 165*. Pitch and ferment at 68. First dry hop at Day 3/4 (depending on krausen). Let rise to temp to 72* F (around day 5) and hold for 2 days. Cool to 60* F and add Second dry hop post fermentation (~day 7) Cold crash 5 days after second dry hop and hold cold crash for 2 days.

Hey Brother, did you ever get the measurements to the water build down? I am a fairly new brewer here and was wondering if you could give me the measurements of everything if im brewing with distilled water.

Thanks,
Josh

Since I was reading this forum regularly 6 months or so ago, there's been a notable shift towards recipes with .ore malted oats vs flaked. Interesting, as that supports my own findings over the last 6 or 7 oat creams I've brewed.

Also, I saw an OH beer the other day where they said over 50% oats. Think I might up the percentage in my brew on Friday to those levels...

Just had a box of OH arrive today, which is super rare for UK. Wonder if they'll still be here tomorrow! 🤔 😅

Gonna brew this on Friday and also going the no lactose route. I know that technically means it’s not an Oat Cream IPA but my last two imperial oat creams have finished a bit higher than I would have liked.

28% Malted Oats
20% Golden Promise
20% Pale Malt
8% Dextrose
6% Flaked Oats
6% Golden Naked Oats
6% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated

Boil: Simcoe
Whirlpool: 1:1 Galaxy/Hallertau Blanc
Dry Hop: 4:2:1:1 Galaxy, Simcoe Cryo, Simcoe, Hallertau Blanc

LAIII

8.5% ABV

Here is the finished product.
D7E0EACD-7CAC-4741-90A9-970B1B2722DE.jpeg

It’s a very solid DIPA but it’s missing something for my taste and honestly I think it might be the lack of lactose.

I agree that the grist was a bit too busy. I think next time I’m just gonna go with Malted Oats and maybe some Wheat but nothing else adjunct wise.

I ended up losing 7 Litres or so during the ferment due to a careless mistake on my part, so I had to adjust the dry hop accordingly. No single hop dominates the flavour and I honestly find that it’s lacking the hop punch that I usually get. Not my favourite brew but Very solid nonetheless.

I’ll be looking to do a single hop Idaho 7 Oat Cream IIPA next.

Last edited:
Here is the finished product.
View attachment 701755

It’s a very solid DIPA but it’s missing something for my taste and honestly I think it might be the lack of lactose.

I agree that the grist was a bit too busy. I think next time I’m just gonna go with Malted Oats and maybe some Wheat but nothing else adjunct wise.

I ended up losing 7 Litres or so during the ferment due to a careless mistake on my part, so I had to adjust the dry hop accordingly. No single hop dominates the flavour and I honestly find that it’s lacking the hop punch that I usually get. Not my favourite brew but Very solid nonetheless.

I’ll be looking to do a single hop Idaho 7 Oat Cream IIPA next.
What was your OG/FG on that?

Brewed this up yesterday. Was a bit of a nightmare brew with the 38% malted oats and 10% wheat. Mash kept sticking and I couldn't get anything in the sparge to flow. Brewed a full batch in my Grainfather so the top of the mash was within a half inch of the top of the grainfather. Really pushed it to it's limits I think. Using London Fog and fermentation took off pretty quick. Used @Dgallo hop combination of Cashmere, Amarillo, Citra and Sabro. First time using Sabro and used the Lupomax from YAkima. The smell of these was insane. Can't wait to try this in a few weeks.

Follow up to my last post - Here's the cold crashed sample and final product. Turned out incredible. Most in your face aroma I've gotten, could be attributed to a few things... Fermenting and Serving in same keg, fresh 2020 hops, I dunno what else but it's fantastic. I know Nelson by itself isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's delicious.

YGieMO6.jpeg

Resized_20201018_150549.jpeg

Follow up to my last post - Here's the cold crashed sample and final product. Turned out incredible. Most in your face aroma I've gotten, could be attributed to a few things... Fermenting and Serving in same keg, fresh 2020 hops, I dunno what else but it's fantastic. I know Nelson by itself isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's delicious.

View attachment 703226

View attachment 703227
Curious about your final PH as you said u adjusted post KO to 4.6?

Curious about your final PH as you said u adjusted post KO to 4.6?
I'll take a measurement tonight.

I'm really not well versed in what the pH means from phase to phase of the brew process, so I've honestly never measured it outside of kettle souring and during the mash. My limited knowledge is that it's just a number and it should be somewhere during the mash or when souring, etc. Couldn't tell you why it should be that way!

View attachment 703226

View attachment 703227
I find Nelson to be very overpowering. I used 2 oz DH in my last beer along with 6 Citra and 2 Amarillo, and it screamed Nelson. No Nelson prior to DH. It was actually delicious, and I typically don’t like Nelson, but apparently I like it in small %.

I'll take a measurement tonight.

I'm really not well versed in what the pH means from phase to phase of the brew process, so I've honestly never measured it outside of kettle souring and during the mash. My limited knowledge is that it's just a number and it should be somewhere during the mash or when souring, etc. Couldn't tell you why it should be that way!
Ok, do you have a decent ph meter? Make sure you get the beer degassed and at room temp when meassuring. Final PH has a huge effect on flavor of the beer. Higher ph accentuates malt flavor.

View attachment 703226

View attachment 703227
This looks great! I love nelson myself and have some 2020 crop but haven't used it yet. With this crop, what are getting most of? I love nelson for the white wine flavor it adds. Are you getting that or is it more verbally or diesel? Just curious what ya are getting from this years crop before I use it.

This looks great! I love nelson myself and have some 2020 crop but haven't used it yet. With this crop, what are getting most of? I love nelson for the white wine flavor it adds. Are you getting that or is it more verbally or diesel? Just curious what ya are getting from this years crop before I use it.
I'm not really great at adding specific descriptors for flavors and aromas. In fact, I laugh at all the beer releases that have your typical "stone fruit, lychee, passion-ass, etc etc" combo of flavors and stuff.

But you do get a whole heap load of white whine that in fact, for those who may not care for Nelson, it may be too overpowering. This was (mostly) a single hop beer, after all. Lots of Nelson beers I've had, including this one, bring a very [and I mean VERY] subtle flavor I wouldn't describe as good...but not bad either. Your diesel seems to hint at it a little, but I don't want to say that's what I'm getting because I don't want to turn anyone off to the hop. That flavor was much more prominent as the beer was more green. It has since faded to basically nothing now. Right now it's a whole load of fruits and berry and white wine in the best possible way.

That said, Nelson by itself can be a little much if it's not your cup of tea. However it's one of my favorite hops and I'm glad I spent ~$150 on the 2020 crop and plan on ordering a few more in a few months.

I'm not really great at adding specific descriptors for flavors and aromas. In fact, I laugh at all the beer releases that have your typical "stone fruit, lychee, passion-ass, etc etc" combo of flavors and stuff.

But you do get a whole heap load of white whine that in fact, for those who may not care for Nelson, it may be too overpowering. This was (mostly) a single hop beer, after all. Lots of Nelson beers I've had, including this one, bring a very [and I mean VERY] subtle flavor I wouldn't describe as good...but not bad either. Your diesel seems to hint at it a little, but I don't want to say that's what I'm getting because I don't want to turn anyone off to the hop. That flavor was much more prominent as the beer was more green. It has since faded to basically nothing now. Right now it's a whole load of fruits and berry and white wine in the best possible way.

That said, Nelson by itself can be a little much if it's not your cup of tea. However it's one of my favorite hops and I'm glad I spent ~$150 on the 2020 crop and plan on ordering a few more in a few months.
I appreciate you taking a stab at the descriptors of this. I myself aren't that great with describing all the different things I get from hops either. Normally, I can pick out 1-2 different things and thats it, maybe a third. lol. Good to hear that the white wine, which is why I love it, shines through. To be honest, Im not sure exactly what the "diesel" should taste like myself, although when Ive gotten that type of punch, it usually fades as the beer conditions. Thanks again!

Brewed this up yesterday. Was a bit of a nightmare brew with the 38% malted oats and 10% wheat. Mash kept sticking and I couldn't get anything in the sparge to flow. Brewed a full batch in my Grainfather so the top of the mash was within a half inch of the top of the grainfather. Really pushed it to it's limits I think. Using London Fog and fermentation took off pretty quick. Used @Dgallo hop combination of Cashmere, Amarillo, Citra and Sabro. First time using Sabro and used the Lupomax from YAkima. The smell of these was insane. Can't wait to try this in a few weeks.

The biggest issue I used to have brewing these beers on the grainfather was the bottom heating plate. With huge oat bills the protein would settle on it and keep tripping the overheating switch. It was such a ball ache, and I brew so many of these really oat heavy beers that I ended up changing system because of this

View attachment 703226

View attachment 703227

Interesting. I had some recent results I'm really happy with too. One of my main changes was it the first time I've not dry hopped during peak fermentation. Instead, I've waited until fermentation is almost done (i.e. OH style) and dry hopped under pressure, adding a spunding valve thereafter to the FV. So the hop aromas weren't blown out of the beer. Similar to your comments on DH in the keg.

Can't say I've blind tested this difference but it has perceptibly made a big difference (maybe that's confirmation bias - who knows).

Downside - my brewing area no longer had the lovely smells of hop aroma!

The biggest issue I used to have brewing these beers on the grainfather was the bottom heating plate. With huge oat bills the protein would settle on it and keep tripping the overheating switch. It was such a ball ache, and I brew so many of these really oat heavy beers that I ended up changing system because of this
The bottom of my Grainfather was in a bad shape with the amount of protein build up. Took a lot of effort to clean but thankfully it didn't trip out. What system did you change to out of curiosity? The volume limitations really gets to me about the GF as I find 8% is my sweet spot with Ipas and this just pushes it to the limits. I think the new, larger GF is just way over priced for what it is and build quality doesn't look great. I live in a small apartment so an All in One system is perfect for me.

Back to the beer, doing the first dry hop tonight, smell from the fermentation fridge is unreal. can't wait to try it.

The bottom of my Grainfather was in a bad shape with the amount of protein build up. Took a lot of effort to clean but thankfully it didn't trip out. What system did you change to out of curiosity? The volume limitations really gets to me about the GF as I find 8% is my sweet spot with Ipas and this just pushes it to the limits. I think the new, larger GF is just way over priced for what it is and build quality doesn't look great. I live in a small apartment so an All in One system is perfect for me.

Back to the beer, doing the first dry hop tonight, smell from the fermentation fridge is unreal. can't wait to try it.

BrewTools B40. Build quality and customer service is incredible. Unfortunately it's very pricey as a result. But yeah, I looked at other options like the G70 and I just thought the BrewTools offerings blew them away.

Saw your hops above - sounds great not had much cashmere over here in the UK. And I'm dead jealous of you folks having access to cryo and the likes.

BrewTools B40. Build quality and customer service is incredible. Unfortunately it's very pricey as a result. But yeah, I looked at other options like the G70 and I just thought the BrewTools offerings blew them away.

Saw your hops above - sounds great not had much cashmere over here in the UK. And I'm dead jealous of you folks having access to cryo and the likes.
Couldn't agree more.
So annoying we cannot get Cryo hops or Lupo Max.
I just had a delivery from Australia of some Strata and Nectaron but got stung by customs.

May try and order with YVH and hope I don't get stung again although postage is insane too.

It's not that bad - Malt Miller had Incognito before anywhere in the US had them in retail packs, they're pretty good at getting the latest things like that.

Finally! My first brew day since June. With covid and trying to finish building my new brew shed, I had to take a hiatus. But The keezer, ferm chamber, et al, are all in the brew shed, and I needed something to put on tap. This is a 12 gal/double batch. I split into two fermenters and will use different dry hops. Also, I've pretty much eliminated flaked oats entirely from my hazies in favor of malted oats. The only reason there's flaked oats in this batch is I didn't have enough malted oats, and none of my local shops carry it so I always have to order it. Also, I don't often split my base malts. I was just finishing off what I had of Pale and needed more base malt.

47% Rahr Pale
23% Malted Oats
10% Flaked Oats
10% Rahr Pilsner
10% White Wheat

5 oz Citra @ 185* WP, 30m
5 oz Idaho 7 @ 185* WP, 30m

3:1 Chloride:Sulfate
Mashed at 154*

30 minute boil

Estimated OG: 1.063
Actual OG: 1.060
47 IBUs

Batch A Dry Hops (all Galaxy):
2 oz Galaxy @ DH1
4 oz Galaxy @ DH2
1 oz Galaxy @ KH

Batch B Dry Hops (all Vic Secret):
2 oz Vic Secret @ DH1
4 oz Vic Secret @ DH2
1 oz Vic Secret @ KH

Yeast/Fermentation: Bootleg NEEPAH Blend (my absolute favorite yeast for hazybois). Pitched at 68*. Raised to 70* and added DH1 24 hours after pitching. Raised temp to 72* 48 hours after pitching and will finish out at this temp. This weekend I'll do a soft cold crash, and do a closed transfer to kegs with DH2 hanging in bags, let that sit for 24-48 hours, then finally another closed transfer to the serving keg with the KH hanging.

I'm only across the water to you in Ireland. Order all my IPA hops now from Yakima as the homebrew shops here stock absolute rubbish. I'd use Malt Miller at a push. Just order a few months supply at a time.

Brew tools looks an incredible piece of kit. Was looking at it but the price quickly changed that but I guess you get what you pay for.

It's not that bad - Malt Miller had Incognito before anywhere in the US had them in retail packs, they're pretty good at getting the latest things like that.
I’m not aware that the US has access even now, outside of making a business account and buying 2kgs worth

ISTR it being mentioned on the main NEIPA thread that somewhere in the US had started doing retail packs of Incognito, but I can't say I was paying much attention as it wasn't relevant to me, I could be wrong though.

ISTR it being mentioned on the main NEIPA thread that somewhere in the US had started doing retail packs of Incognito, but I can't say I was paying much attention as it wasn't relevant to me, I could be wrong though.
Since it’s a haas product only yvh should have it and it still says coming soon online, a 2kg jug is 500 bucks tho

“Currently only available in 2kg jugs for wholesale accounts, but we are working on a smaller format for homebrewers!”

Has anyone looked into brookline ave from trillium? Malted oats, 2 row, flaked wheat, flaked oats, and white wheat.

Behold! My latest batch, featuring 2020 Riwaka and a little Idaho 7.

Resized_20201210_134714.jpeg

Basics
Batch Size (fermentor):5.5 gallons
Boil Length:60 minutes
Mash Temp:152FSingle Infusion
OG:1.078 (estimated)1.072 (actual)
FG:1.016 (estimated)1.018 (actual)
ABU:8.14% (estimated)7.09% (actual)
IBU:38ish
SRM:6.64
Fermentables
2-Row43%
Malted Oats43%
White Wheat5.5%
Golden Naked Oats8.5%
Total100%
Hops
Yakima Hop Shot1.8 mlFWH or 60 min
Iadho 71 oz10 Min
Riwaka2 ozFlameout
Idaho 72 ozWhirlpool @ 170
Riwaka4 ozDryhop 24 hours after pitch
Riwaka4 ozDryhop 5 days after pitch
Total13 oz + 1.8 ml extract
Yeast
Imperial A24 Dryhop2 packsPitch at 68, let free raise to 72ish after a few days
Water
Mash pH5.25
Calcium95
Mgn/a
Sodium30
Sulfate60
Chloride180
Notes
With 5 min left in boil, start adjusting pH down to 4.6.I add 3 mL Lactic Acid at a time while recirculating.

It's a winner. I'm in love with this beer. And it's still slightly green too - I can't wait for Sunday/Monday to see how it starts shaping up.

Last edited:
Behold! My latest batch, featuring 2020 Riwaka and a little Idaho 7.

View attachment 709736

Basics
Batch Size (fermentor):5.5 gallons
Boil Length:60 minutes
Mash Temp:152FSingle Infusion
OG:1.078 (estimated)1.072 (actual)
FG:1.016 (estimated)1.018 (actual)
ABU:8.14% (estimated)7.09% (actual)
IBU:38ish
SRM:6.64
Fermentables
2-Row43%
Malted Oats43%
White Wheat5.5%
Golden Naked Oats8.5%
Total100%
Hops
Yakima Hop Shot1.8 mlFWH or 60 min
Iadho 71 oz10 Min
Riwaka2 ozFlameout
Idaho 72 ozWhirlpool @ 170
Riwaka4 ozDryhop 24 hours after pitch
Riwaka4 ozDryhop 5 days after pitch
Total13 oz + 1.8 ml extract
Yeast
Imperial A24 Dryhop2 packsPitch at 68, let free raise to 72ish after a few days
Water
Mash pH5.25
Calcium95
Mgn/a
Sodium30
Sulfate60
Chloride180
Notes
With 5 min left in boil, start adjusting pH down to 4.6.I add 3 mL Lactic Acid at a time while recirculating.

It's a winner. I'm in love with this beer. And it's still slightly green too - I can't wait for Sunday/Monday to see how it starts shaping up.
That looks phenomenal. Well done on the color.

I brewed yesterday, and it was the first time I've done the ph adjustment down to 4.6. But I didn't adjust it until the WP was done and I was chilling, or right before I turned on the chiller post-WP.

That looks phenomenal. Well done on the color.

I brewed yesterday, and it was the first time I've done the ph adjustment down to 4.6. But I didn't adjust it until the WP was done and I was chilling, or right before I turned on the chiller post-WP.

Can't imagine that would be any different. Probably even easier not needing to wait as long for the samples to come in to temp range for the ph meter.

Let me know how yours turns out. I really like the results of A24 Dryhop compared to my Nelson version which I used NEEPAH Blend.

Hey Everyone,

Saw something on Other Half's instagram's account that made me do a double take. Not sure if I'm over thinking things and or completely way off base so I thought I run it by everyone on this thread.

Over the weekend OH posted several stories to their IG account about their brewing process. It was all pretty standard stuff until they posted a screen shot stating they were adding oats to the lauter tun after the mash was finished. See attached screen cap. They did show the brewer adding a ton of flaked oats to the mash tun before this as well.

The reason for my double take & post is why would you add flaked oats to the lauter tun after the mash process is complete? I would think that they mash out to stop enzyme conversion on the way to the lauter tun. Adding flaked oats to the lauter tun at that temp would most likely mean that there wouldn't be much conversion if any.

My thought is that they are doing this to boost body by creating some unfermentables? Or i could be completely overthinking things haha.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.PNG
    IMG_3393.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 190
Hey Everyone,

Saw something on Other Half's instagram's account that made me do a double take. Not sure if I'm over thinking things and or completely way off base so I thought I run it by everyone on this thread.

Over the weekend OH posted several stories to their IG account about their brewing process. It was all pretty standard stuff until they posted a screen shot stating they were adding oats to the lauter tun after the mash was finished. See attached screen cap. They did show the brewer adding a ton of flaked oats to the mash tun before this as well.

The reason for my double take & post is why would you add flaked oats to the lauter tun after the mash process is complete? I would think that they mash out to stop enzyme conversion on the way to the lauter tun. Adding flaked oats to the lauter tun at that temp would most likely mean that there wouldn't be much conversion if any.

My thought is that they are doing this to boost body by creating some unfermentables? Or i could be completely overthinking things haha.
I've read people bagging flaked oats and whirlpooling them, but this aside.
I guess why they add to the lauter is cause the sheer amount of flaked oats they use would result in a stuck mash so there is no other way?

Hey Everyone,

I think some answers might be found in this podcast Variation in Starch Structure
"Did you know that the gelatinization temperature of your malt could be as low as 136F or as high as 154F? Charlie Bamforth's successor joins us to talk about variations in starch structure and what that might mean for your mash."

Last edited:
Back