Other Half Daydream (oat cream IPAs) - all grain clone attempts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great man! Ive played with this Hop combo a couple of times and still tweaking it. Its great though, Ive never left strata out of the whirlpool all together myself. Couple questions:

Did you use less Citra in the dry hop than usual because its LUPOMAX and supposedly more efficient or did you just roll with your norm dry hop rates? Haven't used LUPOMAX yet myself.

I thought I saw somewhere that you were intending to mash lower at like 150ish, did you stick with 152? Reason why I ask is that Ive done two of these now and generally according to MrPowers step mash schedule with the first ~40min at 149. Both have had absolutely fantastic mouthfeel and were not dry at all given the massive amount of oats in the recipe (I also used white wheat in mine) and both finished at 1.012, 1.013 (~8.0 ABV beers). Im definitely sticking with that mash schedule in for this beer.

Lastly, I haven't tried Imperial Juice yet, but care to comment on similarities/differences with A24 Dry Hop in terms of esters?

Thanks.
Thanks brother

1) no, I just rolled with the same hoping rates. 2 oz per gallon Dryhop;
2 oz Citra pellets
4 oz strata
4 oz Citra LUPOMAX
Citra takes lead, it’s a definitive Citra note too, no b.o. or cattyness at all. Then the strata starts coming in on the Backend with some zesty dankness. The Idaho 7 On the hotside was pretty orange forward this time. I really didn’t get any earth/herbal notes that I’ve gotten in the past and because of that, it kinda just blended into the Citra character for a nice citrus/tropical flavor.

2) I did. I ended up mashing at 150* for 60. A quick 5 minute mash out and then done 1.076 - 1.012 - 8.4%. I really think this is a solid mash temp for high adjunct beers. The mouthfeel is full but as you swallow is drys out and finishes slightly crisp and really comes across as pillow soft because of the lite finish

3) slightly similar with a touch of stone fruit. Imperial Juice is London Ale III so it’s as similar to A24 as 1318 is.

Congrats of all of you! That’s an awesome lever of hombrewing! Incredible beers! Here in Chile we are so far away of that lever!

Gonna brew this on Friday and also going the no lactose route. I know that technically means it’s not an Oat Cream IPA but my last two imperial oat creams have finished a bit higher than I would have liked.

28% Malted Oats
20% Golden Promise
20% Pale Malt
8% Dextrose
6% Flaked Oats
6% Golden Naked Oats
6% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated

Boil: Simcoe
Whirlpool: 1:1 Galaxy/Hallertau Blanc
Dry Hop: 4:2:1:1 Galaxy, Simcoe Cryo, Simcoe, Hallertau Blanc

LAIII

8.5% ABV

Gonna brew this on Friday and also going the no lactose route. I know that technically means it’s not an Oat Cream IPA but my last two imperial oat creams have finished a bit higher than I would have liked.

28% Malted Oats
20% Golden Promise
20% Pale Malt
8% Dextrose
6% Flaked Oats
6% Golden Naked Oats
6% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated

LAIII

8.5% ABV
What are your thoughts/reasoning on including the GNO? Are you just using that for some additional color? What's the SRM for that grist clock in at?

What are your thoughts/reasoning on including the GNO? Are you just using that for some additional color? What's the SRM for that grist clock in at?

Pretry much. I’ve started with a base grain bill that I’m happy with and then each brew I’ve been adding or subtracting certain grain to see if it improves the beer until I eventually settle on a specific grist. This particular beer will come in at 12 EBC.

Pretry much. I’ve started with a base grain bill that I’m happy with and then each brew I’ve been adding or subtracting certain grain to see if it improves the beer until I eventually settle on a specific grist. This particular beer will come in at 12 EBC.
Thanks dude. Looking forward to seeing this one in the glass.

28% Malted Oats
20% Golden Promise
20% Pale Malt
8% Dextrose
6% Flaked Oats
6% Golden Naked Oats
6% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated

LAIII

8.5% ABV
The recipe Seems a tad busy but not bad by any means. My only two suggestions would be to eliminate the dextrose and replace it with grain - fullness is a huge component to this style, and at 8% dextrose will easily add a minimum of a whole percent of pure alcohol from the sugar, possible 1.5%. That will def counteract some of the contribution of your body building grains. Second is regarding the size of the Hallertau Blanc additions. In my experience using it, it takes a good 3-4oz or 30% of the hop bill to have its character to show over other hops. I personally would remover the simcoe pellets in the ratio and and just make it a 2:1:1 Galaxy, cryo simcoe, blanc.

Again, these are just suggestion. Your beer will be fine without making any adjustments but I think they may help the finished product. Keep us posted l!

The recipe Seems a tad busy but not bad by any means. My only two suggestions would be to eliminate the dextrose and replace it with grain - fullness is a huge component to this style, and at 8% dextrose will easily add a minimum of a whole percent of pure alcohol from the sugar, possible 1.5%. That will def counteract some of the contribution of your body building grains. Second is regarding the size of the Hallertau Blanc additions. In my experience using it, it takes a good 3-4oz or 30% of the hop bill to have its character to show over other hops. I personally would remover the simcoe pellets in the ratio and and just make it a 2:1:1 Galaxy, cryo simcoe, blanc.

Again, these are just suggestion. Your beer will be fine without making any adjustments but I think they may help the finished product. Keep us posted l!

I really appreciate the feedback mate. I understand that the grist may be a bit busy but I’m still experimenting at the moment so I’m not too worried as I’m still very confident that it will create a great beer. I’m only using that much dextrose as I’m using a Grainfather and I’ll struggle to get to the abv I’m targeting with just grain alone. I’ve never used Hallertau Blanc before so im going in blind. Was
Planning on using half of it in the kettle and half of it in the dry hop, but open to moving more into the dry hop if that’s what you as someone who’s used it before would suggest.

I really appreciate the feedback mate. I understand that the grist may be a bit busy but I’m still experimenting at the moment so I’m not too worried as I’m still very confident that it will create a great beer. I’m only using that much dextrose as I’m using a Grainfather and I’ll struggle to get to the abv I’m targeting with just grain alone. I’ve never used Hallertau Blanc before so im going in blind. Was
Planning on using half of it in the kettle and half of it in the dry hop, but open to moving more into the dry hop if that’s what you as someone who’s used it before would suggest.
Dme is always a possible solution when using the grainfather. There is also a product called “brewers crystalS” that someone mentioned in the this thread a few pages back that has the same fermentability as base malts so It can be substituted exactly the same.

I’ve never used Hallertau blanc hotside so i cant comment on its use there but I would certainly up both your hotside and cold side amounts of it

28% Malted Oats
20% Golden Promise
20% Pale Malt
8% Dextrose
6% Flaked Oats
6% Golden Naked Oats
6% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated

LAIII

8.5% ABV

That grain bill seems way too complicated. No way you’d be able to detect what that 6% wheat is doing or even the flaked oats. Have you tried it with just 2row, Malted Oats, and Dextrose? Next round just change one variable, maybe split the malted oats 50/50 with GNO?

Keep it simple.

Dme is always a possible solution when using the grainfather. There is also a product called “brewers crystalS” that someone mentioned in the this thread a few pages back that has the same fermentability as base malts so It can be substituted exactly the same.

I’ve never used Hallertau blanc hotside so i cant comment on its use there but I would certainly up both your hotside and cold side amounts of it

Can you substitute DME for dextrose 1:1? I’ve got some DME & LDME on deck

That grain bill seems way too complicated. No way you’d be able to detect what that 6% wheat is doing or even the flaked oats. Have you tried it with just 2row, Malted Oats, and Dextrose? Next round just change one variable, maybe split the malted oats 50/50 with GNO?

Keep it simple.

I have, and I was very happy with it. I’ve been adding certain malts on the basis of commercial beers I like that use those malts together. But I’ve only been adding malts one at a time between each brew to see if there’s a noticeable difference or not.

I have, and I was very happy with it. I’ve been adding certain malts on the basis of commercial beers I like that use those malts together. But I’ve only been adding malts one at a time between each brew to see if there’s a noticeable difference or not.
@Frieds with your grandfather, whats your maximum grain bill size? I have the 10.5g foundry and while Anvil says 16lb limit, I've been able to get over 18lbs in it if I just sparge more water and have a little thicker mash. reason why I bring that up is that Ive done this oat NEIPA twice now and both have been fantastically soft / full mouthfeels (no lactose added). For both, my grain bill was 17.75lbs (not including rice hulls) and I added 0.5lb of dextrose to the boil. So my dextrose was 2.7% of the total grain bill (18.25lbs) and had great results. Based @Dgallo comments about too much dextrose thinning out the grain bill I think thats a valid point. I might try ditching the dextrose for one of these when I brew it next to see if the "fullness" is better without dextrose, but the abv will of course be lower too. However, I do think that the ABV boost does help with fullness of mouthfeel if using dextrose in small amounts. Both of my oat NEIPAs were 8.0 and 8.1% ABV and finished at 1.013 and 1.012 respectively and loved them. Just a thought to consider but again I'm not sure what the grandfather's max grain bill is.

Can you substitute DME for dextrose 1:1? I’ve got some DME & LDME on deck
So it’s kinda a funny conversion. DME Is 1.044 and dextrose is 1.046 so from an OG stand point they are. However dme is roughly 75-80% fermentable where dextrose is 99%. So in order to get the same fermentability and alcohol conversion you need to use 1.6x’s the amount of DME to be the same as the dextrose. So 1kg of dextrose would need 1.6kg of dme to replace it

I've dropped all dextrose. I've found I like my beers better without it. I could see me using up what I have in something dark. Sometimes you find things that just aren't a fit for yourself. I've also not had great luck using DME in anything other than a starter. That said, I got my butt kicked by a DME IPA once, it scored a 41. Lots of great info in this thread. I've been brewing an IPA for 10 years +. It is crazy how similar it is to these beers. The major difference is "new" O2 and dry hop. Both of these variables from this and a few other threads, spot on. @Dgallo that last pic

Hey guys! Have you recommendations to replace Citra LUPOMAX, Strata, Idaho 7 and another yeast? Here I can’t find that, it’s very difficult find that stuff in Chile! Recommendations time in fermentator tank after fermentation is finished? Time for cold crash? Before put in bottles... thank you!

Hey guys! Have you recommendations to replace Citra LUPOMAX, Strata, Idaho 7 and another yeast? Here I can’t find that, it’s very difficult find that stuff in Chile! Recommendations time in fermentator tank after fermentation is finished? Time for cold crash? Before put in bottles... thank you!
What hops are you able to get? Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, El Dorado, etc...? Are you able to get the Cryo versions? SO4 dry yeast is a great yeast for the style and is what I used in my recipe a few pages ago.

US-05 or equivalent is fine but if you have access to an ester producing, mid attenuative English yeast that’s ideal. Any new world hops you can use will help for the style (Citra, mosaic, Galaxy, Amarillo, etc)

Soft crash time 36-48 hours. Cold crash 48hrs. Both need to be done with o2 minimizing techniques

I've dropped all dextrose. I've found I like my beers better without it. I could see me using up what I have in something dark. Sometimes you find things that just aren't a fit for yourself. I've also not had great luck using DME in anything other than a starter. That said, I got my butt kicked by a DME IPA once, it scored a 41. Lots of great info in this thread. I've been brewing an IPA for 10 years +. It is crazy how similar it is to these beers. The major difference is "new" O2 and dry hop. Both of these variables from this and a few other threads, spot on. @Dgallo that last pic
Thanks brother. This beer is pretty spot on. My only complaint is that I have a little more ester profile than I wanted. Will have to up my pitch rate next time.

What hops are you able to get? Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, El Dorado, etc...? Are you able to get the Cryo versions? SO4 dry yeast is a great yeast for the style and is what I used in my recipe a few pages ago.
Ok i will
Use sO4, and about the hops I can find citra, galaxy,mosaic,simcoe and the cryo versions, el
Dorado I found in one style but normal version. Thank you.

US-05 or equivalent is fine but if you have access to an ester producing, mid attenuative English yeast that’s ideal. Any new world hops you can use will help for the style (Citra, mosaic, Galaxy, Amarillo, etc)

Soft crash time 36-48 hours. Cold crash 48hrs. Both need to be done with o2 minimizing techniques
S 04 can be ? Or maybe London ESB? that classic hops most used I can found essay and in cryo vesions! What does soft crash means? I can purge co2 after dry hopping!

S 04 can be ? Or maybe London ESB? that classic hops most used I can found essay and in cryo vesions! What does soft crash means? I can purge co2 after dry hopping!
US05 or S04 would work better. It can be difficult to get London ESB to attenuate well.

Soft crash means: after fermentation is complete drop the temperature to approximately 12-14C for 24-48 hours to encourage the yeast to flocculate. Then add your dry hops after the yeast have dropped.

Yes, definitely purge with CO2 after adding dry hops.

As far as your hop selection, you could do a single hop beer with any one of the standard hops: galaxy, Citra, or Mosaic. You could pick any two of those to pair together. You could use all three (galaxy, Citra, Mosaic) together. You could pick one or two of those and pair with either simcoe or el Dorado. The combinations are really endless!

@Frieds with your grandfather, whats your maximum grain bill size? I have the 10.5g foundry and while Anvil says 16lb limit, I've been able to get over 18lbs in it if I just sparge more water and have a little thicker mash. reason why I bring that up is that Ive done this oat NEIPA twice now and both have been fantastically soft / full mouthfeels (no lactose added). For both, my grain bill was 17.75lbs (not including rice hulls) and I added 0.5lb of dextrose to the boil. So my dextrose was 2.7% of the total grain bill (18.25lbs) and had great results. Based @Dgallo comments about too much dextrose thinning out the grain bill I think thats a valid point. I might try ditching the dextrose for one of these when I brew it next to see if the "fullness" is better without dextrose, but the abv will of course be lower too. However, I do think that the ABV boost does help with fullness of mouthfeel if using dextrose in small amounts. Both of my oat NEIPAs were 8.0 and 8.1% ABV and finished at 1.013 and 1.012 respectively and loved them. Just a thought to consider but again I'm not sure what the grandfather's max grain bill is.

Just from anecdotal experience, this grist being 8.25kg (18.2 pounds) is pushing it about a much as I can with the Grainfather. I’ve toned down the dextrose to 5.5% as per suggestions from you guys that I was using too much but I will look try and eliminate it completely in future brews.

I’ve also decided to go 1:1 Simcoe/Galaxy in the Whirlpool and move all the Hallertau Blanc into the dry hop so I can get the 2:1:1 ratio of Galaxy, Simcoe Cryo & Hallertau Blanc that Dgallo suggested.

Dudes, I was just thinking about something. Without wading through all 17 pages of this thread, is there any discussion in this thread about OH's house yeast, and whether or not they use the same for all their hazies? Apologies if it's been beaten to death, I just haven't seen it in this thread. Thanks.

Dudes, I was just thinking about something. Without wading through all 17 pages of this thread, is there any discussion in this thread about OH's house yeast, and whether or not they use the same for all their hazies? Apologies if it's been beaten to death, I just haven't seen it in this thread. Thanks.
There was a picture taken of one of their fermenter logs that was posted in this thread as well as in the other ipa thread where they listed the yeast. It was A-18 (not to be confused with imperial a18 joystick) which is London ale III from BSI which is a commercial yeast company.

That being said it’s only speculated that this is their house strain. Having access to OH and drinking a lot of their IPAs, I personally believe it is their house strain

Last edited:
There was a picture taken of one of there fermenter logs that was posted in this thread as well as in the other ipa thread where they listed the yeast. It was A-18 (not to be confused with imperial a18 joystick) which is London ale III from BSI which is a commercial yeast company.

That being said it’s only speculated that this is their house strain. Having access to OH and drinking a lot of their IPAs, I personally believe it is their house strain
Awesome, I really appreciate the info. I'm down in SC, so I don't have ready access to OH. But have recently started to get more access via some off market channels. And I try to include some OH on every request. So I'm getting more and more into them and getting more of a chance to dissect the beers. I just remembered Janish has OH in his commercial brewers section in the back of his new book. I've read it multiple times, but I can't remember if they discuss yeast.

There was a picture taken of one of their fermenter logs that was posted in this thread as well as in the other ipa thread where they listed the yeast. It was A-18 (not to be confused with imperial a18 joystick) which is London ale III from BSI which is a commercial yeast company.

@TravelingLight here’s the picture
7A71C18E-ADED-450C-99BD-F6B0EB1A081D.jpeg

Alright so here is the finished product. Def the best version of an oat cream I’ve made. Perfect mouthfeel for this one and really diggin the hop combo View attachment 697051

That looks lovely.
Just got some Strata finally, rare as rocking horse **** here in the UK so had to get it from Australia and got charged a fortune by customs to release it.
Might have a bash at your recipe see how it turns out as I want a good strata/citra recipe. But ill be using the new verdant yeast.
Do you have an XML of the recipe?
Thx

US05 or S04 would work better. It can be difficult to get London ESB to attenuate well.

Soft crash means: after fermentation is complete drop the temperature to approximately 12-14C for 24-48 hours to encourage the yeast to flocculate. Then add your dry hops after the yeast have dropped.

Yes, definitely purge with CO2 after adding dry hops.

As far as your hop selection, you could do a single hop beer with any one of the standard hops: galaxy, Citra, or Mosaic. You could pick any two of those to pair together. You could use all three (galaxy, Citra, Mosaic) together. You could pick one or two of those and pair with either simcoe or el Dorado. The combinations are really endless!
Thanks, now im more clear about how to do! And know that combinations of these hops are really endless.
Then, the process to
So this beer is very quick. Stop
Fermentation, soft crash and next cold crash and it’s ready for the bottles to second fermentation, isn’t it? Or need more time after fermentation before soft crash?

It can be difficult to get London ESB to attenuate well.
Why? I want to understand what happen with this yeast, why not attenuate well, because I made a hazy ipa before and it happens that I needed 1012 of FG but I get only 1017.

Thanks, now im more clear about how to do! And know that combinations of these hops are really endless.
Then, the process to
So this beer is very quick. Stop
Fermentation, soft crash and next cold crash and it’s ready for the bottles to second fermentation, isn’t it? Or need more time after fermentation before soft crash?
Ferment completely in primary (however many days are necessary). Raise for diacetyl rest (if necessary). Soft crash for 24-48 hours (depending on yeast strain). Add dry hops and allow temperature to naturally raise back up to 15-17C over 3-4 days. Hard crash for 24-48 hours. Keg and force carbonate. If bottling, after the hard crash, allow the beer to warm to room temperature, add the priming solution to the primary fermenter and wait for airlock activity (2-3 hours) before bottling.

Do not use a secondary fermenter. After the yeast are pitched, you will need to use all available equipment/methods/techniques to prevent the beer from being exposed to oxygen.

Why? I want to understand what happen with this yeast, why not attenuate well, because I made a hazy ipa before and it happens that I needed 1012 of FG but I get only 1017.

Some yeasts don’t handle the drying process well and become difficult to work with in their dried format. As far as I can tell, London ESB is one of those yeasts. S04 and US05 are both very consistent, proven strains that work well for the style.

Last edited:
Alright so here is the finished product. Def the best version of an oat cream I’ve made. Perfect mouthfeel for this one and really diggin the hop combo View attachment 697051
That looks awesome man. Think this oat cream ipa will be next on my brew list. Got all the hops for your Cashmere/Amarillo/Sabro/Citra ipa which I had planned to do as TIPA but might hold off till Christmas/New Year to have a TIPA on tap. Love OH oat cream beers.

Recently got my hands on Malted oats so will try these instead of flaked. Do you find stuck sparge or mash issues with using 38% oats?

That looks awesome man. Think this oat cream ipa will be next on my brew list. Got all the hops for your Cashmere/Amarillo/Sabro/Citra ipa which I had planned to do as TIPA but might hold off till Christmas/New Year to have a TIPA on tap. Love OH oat cream beers.

Recently got my hands on Malted oats so will try these instead of flaked. Do you find stuck sparge or mash issues with using 38% oats?
Thanks dude. I have no sparging issues with malted oats since they still have a husk. If I tried that amount with flaked oats I’d have major issues.

that hop combo is so good, I really think you’ll enjoy it!

Thanks dude. I have no sparging issues with malted oats since they still have a husk. If I tried that amount with flaked oats I’d have major issues.

that hop combo is so good, I really think you’ll enjoy it!
Cool. Got the hops 2 weeks ago off Yakima so just waiting to have space in my kegerator before I brew again. Just kegged my Verdant Even sharks need water last night so have to wait for something else to kick.

Just finished brewing this one today:

Resized_20200920_115204.jpeg

Three new things I'm trying for my hazy ipa on this one:
  • A little Idaho 7 in the boil after reading Janish's experience with using it hot side.
  • Adjusting post boil pH to 4.6. I read somewhere commercial place was doing this and it had something to do with retaining the biomatrix where all the flavor is? I'm not really sure what it means, so chime in with any input. Supposed to help with haze stability too, but haven't had any issues with that.
  • Never used this yeast before, heard great things.
4.5 gallon batch, fermenting and serving in same corny keg
Recipe:
OG 1.080
Mash 152F

Bootleg biology NEEPAH

54% 2row
37% malted oats
5% white wheat
4% golden naked oats

15 ibus hop shot at 60
30 ibus idaho 7 at 15
3 oz nelson at whirlpool 170F
3 oz nelson dryhop 1
3 oz nelson dryhop 2

115 Ca
30 Na
77 Cl
200 SO4
target mash pH 5.25

We will see how it turns out in a few weeks!

Just finished brewing this one today:

View attachment 699306

Three new things I'm trying for my hazy ipa on this one:
  • A little Idaho 7 in the boil after reading Janish's experience with using it hot side.
  • Adjusting post boil pH to 4.6. I read somewhere commercial place was doing this and it had something to do with retaining the biomatrix where all the flavor is? I'm not really sure what it means, so chime in with any input. Supposed to help with haze stability too, but haven't had any issues with that.
  • Never used this yeast before, heard great things.
4.5 gallon batch, fermenting and serving in same corny keg
Recipe:
OG 1.080
Mash 152F

Bootleg biology NEEPAH

54% 2row
37% malted oats
5% white wheat
4% golden naked oats

15 ibus hop shot at 60
30 ibus idaho 7 at 15
3 oz nelson at whirlpool 170F
3 oz nelson dryhop 1
3 oz nelson dryhop 2

115 Ca
30 Na
77 Cl
200 SO4
target mash pH 5.25

We will see how it turns out in a few weeks!
Of all the random yeasts I've used in my NEIPAs, hands down without question the Bootleg NEEPAH blend is my favorite and I use it more than anything else. My buddy did a side by side split batch comparing NEEPAH to voss/kveik and it blew away the kveik as far as flavor, stone fruit, esters, etc. The blend just hits everything I like.

How do you ferment it? I've been pitching around 68, bumping to 70 on Day 2 when I add DH1, bump to 72 on Day 3 and let it finish out at 72. I seem to get the most stone fruit out of it when I use this schedule.

Back