Opinion on 2nd Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilly006

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is the 2nd Recipe that I have come up with and I just wanted some opinions on it. I wanted to experiment with a wheat IPA and thought trying to do a summer one would be cool to try. I'm thinking of adding some orange peels to add a little extra flavor. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1315853/american-ipa-recipes/summertime-wheat-ipa

Heres the recipe for those who don't want to go check it out.

- 6LB Wheat Dry Extract
- 1LB Light Dry Malt Extract
- 12OZ CarraVienne
- 10OZ Crystal 20L
- 8OZ Honey Malt

- Boil 60 mins 1 OZ Amarillo
- Boil 45 mins 1 OZ Amarillo
- boil 30 mins 1 OZ Amarillo
- boil 15 mins 0.5 OZ Amarillo
- boil 5 mins 1 OZ Amarillo
- boil 1 min 1 OZ Amarillo
- Dry hop 8 days 1.5 OZ Amarillo

- Wyeast American Ale II

- Whirlfloc Tablet at 5 Minutes

I ordered a pound of each of the grains so I do have a little bit of play room as far as my grain bill goes. Let me know what you guys think please!!

I like it. I would do the Hop schedule a little different though. I would Up the 60 minute addition to 2 oz., drop the 45 and 30 minute additions altogether, and up the 15, 5, and Flameout additions to 1 oz, 1.25 oz, and 1.25 oz respectively. The reason I would do that is the 60 min, 45 min and 30 min additions do the same thing for flavor, as in they are all bitterring additions. At 15 min is when you start getting flavor, and 5 min and 1 min have some aroma to the beer as well. Basically, what I am trying to say is, the 30 and 45 min additions are kind of redundant and you can get the same thing by adding all of the bittering additions at the 60 min mark and call it good.

I like it. I would do the Hop schedule a little different though. I would Up the 60 minute addition to 2 oz., drop the 45 and 30 minute additions altogether, and up the 15, 5, and Flameout additions to 1 oz, 1.25 oz, and 1.25 oz respectively. The reason I would do that is the 60 min, 45 min and 30 min additions do the same thing for flavor, as in they are all bitterring additions. At 15 min is when you start getting flavor, and 5 min and 1 min have some aroma to the beer as well. Basically, what I am trying to say is, the 30 and 45 min additions are kind of redundant and you can get the same thing by adding all of the bittering additions at the 60 min mark and call it good.

Thanks a lot man!! Very helpful information here!!

This is the new hop schedule:

Boil 60 mins 2.0 Amarillo
Boil 15 mins 1.0 Amarillo
Boil 5 mins 1.25 Amarillo
Boil 1 min 1.25 Amarillo
Dry hop 8 days 1.5 Amarillo

I love the new hop schedule. I'm concerned that the malt bill may be pretty sweet, even though you have lots of hops to try to offset it. With .5 pound of honey malt, it's going to have a sweet finish but adding 22 ounces of crystal malt on top might push it to "cloying" instead of just sweet. I'd be inclined to reduce both the honey malt and the crystal malt, but I do not have a sweet tooth so that might be just me.

I love the new hop schedule. I'm concerned that the malt bill may be pretty sweet, even though you have lots of hops to try to offset it. With .5 pound of honey malt, it's going to have a sweet finish but adding 22 ounces of crystal malt on top might push it to "cloying" instead of just sweet. I'd be inclined to reduce both the honey malt and the crystal malt, but I do not have a sweet tooth so that might be just me.

I'm confused haha. I only wanted 10 ounces of crystal malt. Is that too much still?

In my fermenter is a beer that had 1/2 lb of honey malt and no crystal malt. It's no where near that much hops & bitterness, but it is sweet enough to hang at that level (if it were to have been made into an IPA).

Regardless, your recipe sounds awesome! I really like the idea of using Amarillo hops with wheat and honey malt. Post back with results please :)

its a matter of preference really. the combination of almost 1.5lbs of crystal, moderately attenuating yeast, and extract sounds like too sweet of an IPA to me. I'd keep the crystal combo under 1lb

It looks like you messed around with the PPG and L ratings for some of these ingredients... if not then they are just wrong. Light DME is usually not 8 L and Honey Malt is not usually 37 PPG. I would plug in very specific ingredients with the brand names attached and possibly research further to avoid error. Anyone can plug in those values on hopville.

Is this a full volume boil, or partial boil with extra top off water? Many new brewers don't know to reset the default boil / batch size on hopville so make sure you do. And you will have better results with a full volume boil.

For a revamp of this recipe, considering a full volume 6 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch, I would do something like this...

1.067 OG
1.015 FG
66 IBUs
7 SRM
4 week primary including dryhops, no secondary necessary

5LB Muntons Wheat DME
2LB Muntons Light DME
8OZ Castle CaraVienne
4OZ Briess Crystal 20L
4OZ Gambrinus Honey Malt

Boil 60 mins 1.5 Amarillo
Boil 10 mins 3.0 Amarillo
Flameout 30 min 2.0 Amarillo
Dry hop 7-14 days 2.5 Amarillo

Appropriate sized yeast starter of your choice

I'm confused haha. I only wanted 10 ounces of crystal malt. Is that too much still?

caravienne is crystal.

Right. Any malt with cara- or crystal or caramel in the name is basically the same thing. Caravienna and Caramunich are crystal malts. So in your recipe you have doubled the crystal. That's too much. With the honey malt added, it'll be really sweet. Some people like that, especially in American ambers, but I don't have a sweet tooth and wouldn't drink a sweet IPA.

Well looks like I have a lot to learn but that is why I signed up on here. I am new to Hopville and wasn't aware that it was that specific so I will play around with that right now. I will also reduce the amount of crystal malts down to around an ounce. I will update when I change

Still a lot of honey malt. Try to keep it under 5%.

Cara- malt percentage is debatable, but for an extract IPA, I wouldn't go more than 8% total.

Not enough IBUs for my tastes, especially finishing at 1.018. I would shoot for a 1:1 BU:GU ratio or higher. You're currently at 0.81.

Are you boiling 4 gallons down to 3 gallons and then adding 2 gallons of plain water at the end of the boil? Or are you boiling 6 gallons down to 5 and not topping off.

Still a lot of honey malt. Try to keep it under 5%.

Cara- malt percentage is debatable, but for an extract IPA, I wouldn't go more than 8% total.

Not enough IBUs for my tastes, especially finishing at 1.018. I would shoot for a 1:1 BU:GU ratio or higher. You're currently at 0.81.

Are you boiling 4 gallons down to 3 gallons and then adding 2 gallons of plain water at the end of the boil? Or are you boiling 6 gallons down to 5 and not topping off.

I will be boiling 4 gallons down to 3 and adding 2 gallons of water at the end of the boil. I would like more IBU's but unfortunately only ordered 7oz of Amrarillo hops. I do have some Citra and Cascade hops left right now so I guess I could throw some of those in as well

Citra and Cascade will work. They all have similar tastes. All 3 are very citrusy. Also, could you use all 7 oz of Amarillo in boil and order some more to dry hop in 2 weeks?

Citra and Cascade will work. They all have similar tastes. All 3 are very citrusy. Also, could you use all 7 oz of Amarillo in boil and order some more to dry hop in 2 weeks?

I could do that as well. It really stinks not having a LHBS around me... That would allow me to keep it all Amarillo hops but I just need to plan another brew before I order them. How is this for the new grain bill:

6oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
6oz Caravienne Malt
4oz Crystal 20L

I love this process!!

I gave you a recommendation for the malt %'s on the prior page. I would make the caravienne shine double as much as the other two malts. It's the same Lovibond, but slightly more complex than regular crystal being cara- vienna.

I gave you a recommendation for the malt %'s on the prior page. I would make the caravienne shine double as much as the other two malts. It's the same Lovibond, but slightly more complex than regular crystal being cara- vienna.

Sorry I missed that one. I will update accordingly. Unfortunately I have already ordered the ingredients so I cannot play around with the Malt Extract.

So with your recomendations I have adjusted to:

8oz CaraVienne
4oz Honey
4oz Crystal

I will adjust my hops and add some Citra to get higher IBU's as well. Any other information would be greatly apprectiated!!

Sooooo I have 1 ounce of Citra hops and 1 ounce of Cascade hops. What would you guys suggest for adding these hops into the recipe? Thanks again for all the help!!

So I decided I will add .25oz of Citra onto each hop addition. Might be using the Cascade hops for another beer. Transferring my Citra IPA over to secondary to free up my bucket for a German Red Ale today!!

Back