Open fermentation in 10-gallon aquarium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
Hey all. After a chance comment received in another thread, I've been reading up on open fermentation, and like how it seems to allow for more intense and varied flavors to build (according to my reading).

I'm getting ready to brew my first ever batch of beer, and am getting started on the cheap. So we keep fish, and have several unused glass 10-gallon aquariums.

Any issues with using one of these (of course completely sanitized) and an aquarium heater to keep the wort in the proper temp range? Maybe a plexiglass or glass lid with a little gap?

These aquariums are sealed with silicone, but it's specifically designed not to allow impurities to leach into the water.

I also wonder if anyone knows an open fermentation "how-to" thread they can direct me to. Didn't have much luck with the search feature on that one. Thanks!

Not to be a debbie downer but if you want to get experimental you should wait til you are down the brewing path a while first. Fermenters are one of the cheapest things in brewing, buy yourself one. Even if its a 2 dollar homer bucket, which many say you shouldn't ferment in, but some do. Best case scenario and if you are planning to brew more than a couple batches a year, and trust me you will, buy a better bottle, food grade ferm bucket, or glass carboy.

Open fermentation relies on the not so controlled "infection" of your beer by local microorganisms, hopefully good yeast. It is advanced stuff, that can result in terrible beer. Even if you were to pitch your own yeast and ferment "open" the chances for something you don't want in your beer getting there increases significantly. This isn't even considering the potential negative effect of the fish tank.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll have a complete beginners brewing system inside a couple days off Craig's List. I was just saying to my wife tonight that it probably would make the most sense to get a few batches under my belt with traditional methods before going off on tangents. :)

Wild brewing can be a very fruitful venture, for sure! Bit if you haven't made any beer you will see a lot of work for potentially a really bad batch it may Discourage your brewing any more beers. Good luck

Hey all. After a chance comment received in another thread, I've been reading up on open fermentation, and like how it seems to allow for more intense and varied flavors to build (according to my reading).

I'm getting ready to brew my first ever batch of beer, and am getting started on the cheap. So we keep fish, and have several unused glass 10-gallon aquariums.

Any issues with using one of these (of course completely sanitized) and an aquarium heater to keep the wort in the proper temp range? Maybe a plexiglass or glass lid with a little gap?

These aquariums are sealed with silicone, but it's specifically designed not to allow impurities to leach into the water.

I also wonder if anyone knows an open fermentation "how-to" thread they can direct me to. Didn't have much luck with the search feature on that one. Thanks!

don't be discouraged in trying out an open fermentation, even if it's your first brew. i think it's a great idea to use a fish tank with nothing to lose besides the cost of ingredients. as for a how to it's really not that complicated just be sure to pick a spot that is as dust/draft free as possible. some people drape a cheesecloth over it, some don't. after 3-4 days you can cover it and ferment as usual. wide and shallow vessels will make for more intense flavor. if it does not turn out well for you, try again or move on to another beer and try an open fermentation some other time. have fun!

Give it a try. I would go with a plate glass top that fits flush to the tank. The CO2 given off will be more than enough to force its way out without allowing air back into the tank.

Not sure about aquarium heater though.. Most of us have trouble lowering our fermenting temps, keeping them below the 70 degree area which is about average for room temperature.

bosco

Open fermentation is not the same as spontaneous fermentation. Open is far easier, but probably best left to after your first batch. In open fermentation you pitch yeast and the large yeast population, krausen, and offgassing keeps infection at bay. Sounds like the OP has been reading up on this, but FYI to others. Open fermentation is an added variable that may complicate the brewing learning curve though.

Open fermentation is not the same as spontaneous fermentation. Open is far easier, but probably best left to after your first batch. In open fermentation you pitch yeast and the large yeast population, krausen, and offgassing keeps infection at bay. Sounds like the OP has been reading up on this, but FYI to others. Open fermentation is an added variable that may complicate the brewing learning curve though.

i don't see how an open ferment would complicate anything, it's the same process as any other beer except you leave the lid off. :confused:

eastoak said:
i don't see how an open ferment would complicate anything, it's the same process as any other beer except you leave the lid off. :confused:

It's not more complicated, it's just a complicating variable. It's tough enough to work out flavor and attenuation changes based on temp, pitch rate, and wort comp. Why make it harder by throwing in an alternative fermentation style. Just suggesting that a new brewer learn what the yeast does under normal conditions before changing it up.

Back