Oopsie Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchamber78

Reaction score
So... I'm not a complete beer making virgin --- but I decided to brew up an Oktoberfest for the season and didn't realize that I needed to keep it refridgerated -- So I let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks... now just moved to secondary (clarify) but have no way to keep it chilled... it's in the basement at about 60 degrees... Is my tasty Oktoberfest ruined?

Not necessarily....
Please answer the following: What was the recipe and what kind of yeast did you use? Also, at what temperature did you ferment? Did you take a hydrometer reading?
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Wyeast #2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast

no hydrometer reading... I was too excited... ;)

Specialty Grains

* 1 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich II

Fermentables

* 6 lbs. Amber Malt Syrup
* 2 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract

Boil Additions

* 2 oz. Hallertauer (60 min)

Did you taste the beer during racking? The yeast probably fermented most of the sugars but the beer might be really estery, with some phenols, diacetyl and fusels. I suggest getting a hydrometer and taking a reading, this will let you know how far the beer has attenuated, plus it will come in handy for future batches. Your beer will be fine, just not nearly as great as you might be anticipating.

Taste and smell were fine --- even had my wife smell it and she stated "It smells like an Oktoberfest".

How long should I secondary ferment for since I'm not really "lagering"?

Thanks a ton for the advice --- The internet rules. I'm so glad Al Gore invented it!!

My first batch of Homebrew was Tupelo Honey Pale Ale which was very tasty - This one might be a little funky perhaps.

That's good to hear!
Let it condition and mature for about 4 weeks, the longer the better because it will get better with time.

I think he means bottle conditioning for four weeks. (Right?) If its stopped bubbling, you can move it to a secondary (to help clarify it). Basically, you're making a "steam beer", that is, using lager yeast at an ale temperature. If it tastes fine now, it'll be fine later.

kchamber78 said:
Wyeast #2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast

You gonna be fine! I used the same and had it fermenting in my pantry at around 70 degrees. No problems! Tourned out freaking awesome

Back