Secondary fermentation needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolusMag

Reaction score
This question might be a little recipe specific. I read A LOT over the past couple years about how secondary fermentation is usually not necessary for most ales. However I am currently fermenting a "John Q. Adams Marblehead Ale" from Northern Brewer and it suggests 1-2 weeks in primary, and then 2 weeks or so in a secondary. It used a Wyeast california lager yeast that is meant for room temperatures. Would this recipe do ok sitting for 4 weeks in the primary? I do not FEAR that...but there were 4 hop additions to this one and I wonder what effect the long time sitting on all those hops would have...if any. In your opinions...should i rack to a secondary or let it ride out it's time in that primary bucket. I usually DO NOT do a secondary and have had no issues, but I do have the equipment to do so.

I would not do a secondary. It’s only going to increase your oxygen uptake in your process. You also may not need to let it sit the full 4 weeks before packaging. Once it has dropped clear, you can go ahead and bottle. You just may want to let it age in the bottle a bit longer if you package sooner.

It looks like all of the hop additions are in the boil kettle as well. When you transfer to your fermenter you should be able to leave the majority of the hop material behind in the kettle.

That was part of my thinking. Why add oxygen and taker a risk of some wild yeast or bacteria getting in unless it is a high gravity brew. I did not allow ALL of the brew kettle hops to get into the fermenter, but some did. Do you prefer keeping them out of the fermenter?

I normally do a whirlpool to congregate all of the trub to the center of the kettle before draining into the fermenter. Inevitably some break material and hop matter does get in towards the end but it doesn’t worry me much.

This question might be a little recipe specific. I read A LOT over the past couple years about how secondary fermentation is usually not necessary for most ales. However I am currently fermenting a "John Q. Adams Marblehead Ale" from Northern Brewer and it suggests 1-2 weeks in primary, and then 2 weeks or so in a secondary. It used a Wyeast california lager yeast that is meant for room temperatures. Would this recipe do ok sitting for 4 weeks in the primary? I do not FEAR that...but there were 4 hop additions to this one and I wonder what effect the long time sitting on all those hops would have...if any. In your opinions...should i rack to a secondary or let it ride out it's time in that primary bucket. I usually DO NOT do a secondary and have had no issues, but I do have the equipment to do so.
Dormant yeast in the primary giving your beer a subtle "off" flavor is the main reason to use a secondary. The difference is subtle and often not worth the effort. I've always used a secondary because that was how I learned 25 year ago. With an auto siphon and the proper length of hose you can transfer without worrying about adding oxygen to the mix. The lack of sludge in the bottom of the secondary makes it easier to bottle without having to worry about sucking up gunk into the last bottle or two.

I wouldn’t secondary. I think most have quit doing that for quite some time now. But if you want to secondary or experiment, go for it. Unless you closed transfer to another CO2 purged vessel you WILL introduce oxygen. Is it a big deal? Maybe, maybe not. Lighter colored beers with lots of late edition and dry hops are highly susceptible to O2.

Latest posts

Back