One Year Old Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
I had a package of Wyeast that was exactly one year old. Manufactured in June 14th 2011. I made a one liter starter with it on Thursday morning for a 3 gallon batch I want to make. It appears OK but it does not have the dense white cake on the bottom. When I shake it the airlock does get moving still. I normally like to wait till the airlock doesn't move so I know the yeast has eating all the sugar. I have attached a picture. Should I wait a few more days, increase the starter, or brew today with the yeast I have. The beer I am making should be about 1.058 SG. Cheers!! :mug:

005.jpg

I have done batches with real old yeast. I have used a WLP051 that was well over a year old as an experiment. Without a starter, I must add. Started fermenting within 24 hours and finished where it should have... Add loads of O2 to give them a fighting chance, but other than that, I say brew on my friend!
Cheers
Jay

I have done batches with real old yeast. I have used a WLP051 that was well over a year old as an experiment. Without a starter, I must add. Started fermenting within 24 hours and finished where it should have... Add loads of O2 to give them a fighting chance, but other than that, I say brew on my friend!
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Man!! I just shook it again and it is really going now so I am going to wait till tomorrow and then brew.

Back