One year hiatus...and I still got it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
For various reasons, health/work/etc... I took about a year hiatus from doing something that I love..Brewing beer!

I brewed this past weekend for the first time in a year and it went so perfectly that I can not wait to do it again.

Brewed a Rye saison (from the recipe section here) using my old dialed in efficiency #'s of 74% I hit my target 1.061 right on the button. Nothing in the world like hitting your target SG head on!? (Well maybe not quite as good as drinking it when it was done)

So that begs me to question how frequently is everyone brewing and has anyone else walked away from the hobby only to return and fall in love with it again?

I walked away a good number of years ago (correction: I was FORCED to quit), but picked up right where I left off a few years ago.

This past year and change I had to take another hiatus... brewing was becoming a "chore", and I found myself hating it... mostly because it was such a pain in the arse to keep everything in the garage neat and organized and *clean*.

So the SWMBO and I sat down and discussed options. We agreed that the most efficient/effective way for me (well, for us) to brew was to have a dedicated brew space. Indoors. That began the building of the indoor electric brewery.

Of course, there have been a million and two things that needed to be done first/concurrently with the brewery build. We're currently heading into the final stretch, and it feels pretty good... I'm actually looking forward to rejoining the hobby.

That would be my next step if I wasn't on the constant move w/ the military. Living in Germany, and moving to England next I don't want to invest to much into the wiring of the house to handle it. Unless I'm completely wrong here and it's much easier than that :)

I obviously have not looked very deep into this subject I thought that there was more to it than simply have 240v capable power. I'll have to head into the electric brewing section and do some reading. Thanks for the idea

As long as you have enough amperage to run everything, you're good. Depending on where you have everything set up, you could make a cord to plug in where your dryer is, and run that to the control box for your brewery. No extra expense running wire in the house.

I brewed today first time in about a year, I used to brew 1-2 times a month. Other hobbies and stuff got in the way. I'm happy to brew 10 gallons of ipa today, already thinking of what to do next! Boy do I miss having beer on tap!

I took ten years off for the usual reasons... having kids, buying a house, home improvement projects. Just got back into it and have brewed 50 gallons since May. I forgot how much I enjoy brewing. I'm already in plans for a new brewery.

Latest posts

Back