ONE question regarding mini-batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperMan

Reaction score
Okay - I tried searching, but there are so many varients of naming/spelling that I couldn't find what I was looking for. But this is a quick question.

I plan on making a mini-batch of brew this weekend - I'm getting ready for a car show and I'm basically going to try making two batches of beer at only 1.25 gallons each.

I have Beersmith - in fact just bought my "key" today - so that'll help me with my batch size, but the only thing it doesn't help me with is the Yeast.

My LBS has White Labs yeast in small vials, and I really like their variety plus the idea of using liquid yeast instead of dry yeast.

Now, I know that for a 5gal batch, you have to make a starter, which I did very successfully with my last batch. BUT, if I'm only doing 1.25 gallons, should I not bother with the starter and just pitch what's in the vial? Is even that much yeast too much? I think the vials usually have enough for about 3 gallons, give or take...

Suggestions? Thanks.

I suggest going to mrmalty.com and using his free yeast pitching rate calculator to see to what extent you may overpitch by using a whole vial in just 1.25 gallons. Be sure to enter the date the yeast was manufactured, since that affects its viability. If the calculator says you are overpitching by more than 50%, I'd reduce the amount of yeast you add and discard the rest, or store it in pre-boiled distilled water for future use in a starter.

Its probably technically too much, but I've done it with no ill effects that I've noticed. You'd be smarter, though, to just take a small amount from your vial, and build up a mini starter from there. If I use dry yeast, I just use half the pack.

I've brewed small 1 gal batched with very good results using 1/2 a dry yeast pack. I just dumped it in on top in fermenter.

Thanks for the link.

Looks like it recommends about .6 "vials" per batch. If I made a mini-starter, I could use half a vial for each of two test batches. That would work perfectly.

I use 2 gallon plastic buckets from HD for a 1.25 gallon batch. Doesn't get a perfect seal, but I have yet for that to cause a problem.

Actually I was probably just going to use my 5 gallon buckets because I can't find a local source for 3 gallon buckets that DON'T cost $20 each... The whole point of a mini-batch is to save some money.

Go to Sams club, go to the bakery department. They will give you as many buckets, whichever size you want

You sir are a genius. I waltzed in and out of Sam's Club with 2 lightly used 3-gallon buckets with gasketed lids - and I don't even have a membership!

I think my first batch will be a "Vanilla Iced Ale"!!! lol!

Thanks for the tip!!

If you soak those for a few hours in Oxyclean, the icing smell will be completely gone. They work great. I need to go get a few more.

Scubbastv - any idea where I can get the rubber grommets for the lid to put an airlock through? I drilled the hole in the bucket lid and then was like, "oh ****...."

Scubbastv - any idea where I can get the rubber grommets for the lid to put an airlock through? I drilled the hole in the bucket lid and then was like, "oh ****...."

You probably don't need it, but you can find them in many LHBS. Or any washer that will help form a seal. You could also make the hole a bit bigger, and then use a carboy bung. I think a#6 bung is about an inch across.

I just used a 3/8" grommet that form Home Depot. I also have a lid with a 1/2" grommet for a blow off tube.

Yeah I just grabbed a drill and determined which bit fit the existing holes in my existing buckets, drilled new holes in my two new lids and then was like, "oh crap - need a grommet..."

I'll stop at Home Depot today. Thanks.

Back