One Day Ferment???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerB4Liquor

Reaction score
Yesterday I brew a 5 gal batch of Pumpkin Ale. I pitched my yeast at 4:30 in the afternoon. When I got up for work this morning at 4:30 AM, I checked my beer and the bubbler was going crazy. It looked as if I had an aquarium pump pumping air into it. Same thing when I got home around 1:30 this afternoon.

I just checked on the beer now and there is no activity at all. I watched for 5 minutes and saw not one bubble.

Is it possible for beer to ferment out in 24 hours?

Yes, it has happened to me.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is temperature- often a fermentation that goes that fast is pretty hot and not in the low 60s as is desirable for flavor. If it got too warm, it might be fruity and a bit off in the finish.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just checked the room temperature and it's at 75 deg. It was 72 deg yesterday when I put the bucket in my hobby room. So now what? Should I let it set in there for a week to settle out or can I rack it into the secondary for a couple of weeks before bottling?

Sorry, I'm still kind of new to brewing.

I guess I should have placed it in the basement. Even though my hobby room is below grade.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just checked the room temperature and it's at 75 deg. It was 72 deg yesterday when I put the bucket in my hobby room. So now what? Should I let it set in there for a week to settle out or can I rack it into the secondary for a couple of weeks before bottling?

If the room temperature is 75, it might have been 85 degrees or more inside the fermenter (depending on the yeast temperature of the wort when you added the yeast, maybe even higher!). That's at least 10-15 degrees too high.

You'll know for next time, but for now let it sit for about a week total and then you can bottle or rack to secondary if you choose to use a clearing vessel ("secondary").

BeerB4Liquor said:

Never be sorry for being new to brewing, that's why this entire community is here.

If you WANT to do a secondary, go for it.

I and many other members will recommend simply leaving the beer in the primary for a couple more weeks and then proceed directly to bottling. Of course make sure you've hit a constant FG before bottling.

I personally like my pumpkin ales hazy...I know I know, not really in style, but I've done crazier things.

Good luck and cheers.

A hot fermentation like this will likely create some funky off-flavors, so you don't want to do that again. Just wanted to make sure that's clear.

Back