OMG not another "It's my first" thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrew

Reaction score
Yah, it is. Sorry, guys. I'm doing a dunkel weizen based on a recipe I scoped by DeathBrewer. Here's the dealy-o

4.5 # American 2-row
6 # Malted Wheat
.25 # Chocolate Malt
.75oz Hallertau (60min)
.5oz Saaz (15min)
White Labs Belgian Ale something or other (It's inside right now)

I mashed in at about 153*, we'll see how the sparge and boil go!! :ban:

(I'll let you know) ;)

I was gonna do this one for my next brew, but I decided to gank DB Hefe instead. Good luck with your Dunkel...let us know how it turns out.

Dustin

I'm drinking two AG dunkels I put on gas this week. A 10 gal batch, 5 gal fermented with WLP300 and 5 gal with WLP380. I (and my brew buds) are trying to decide which yeast we like best. The consensus so far after a few sample glasses is that 2 out of three of us can't pick a favorite. They are similar up front but different in the back.

These were on primary for just over 5 weeks, cooled in kegerator for 24 hours, and straight into the keg with a little slurry.

Gotta love that dark wheat taste.

Woohoo! Brew day is finally done! What a pain in the ace, but it was fun!

My sparge technique needs work; I was done in about 40min and only collected 6gal at 1.042, then boiled for for an OG of about 1.050 at maybe slightly less than 5 gal.

That yeast that I used was WLP400 (Belgian Wit)...err...damn. Anyone think this will be a problem? Also, dumb question....how do I calculate the mash efficiency?

Ok, so after about 3 weeks in the primary I racked into a keg to condition for a few weeks. I then harvested some yeast off the cake and canned it...but then something hit me. "Doug," it said, "Take a freaking gravity reading!" So I did. My FG is way too high! My OG was 1.050 and my current gravity is 1.030! WTF! So my question to all you knowledgeable folks is ...Do I repitch the yeast that I harvested or should I just wait? If I repitch, should I make a starter? I store my yeast in a fridge for obvious reasons. If I should wait...how long??? Arghh!

Thanks, guys.

Hmm, maybe put a airlock on your keg and wait a bit to see what it does? It may start fermenting again since the yeasties are roused again?

I can't even imagine what would cause your attenuation to be this low. At worst you would expect to see something around 1.016. Only thing I could think that would cause this is if maybe you nuked most your yeast at the pitch, so flocculation was low, or you fermented at a temperature far too low. Ideal temp is around 67-74 for this yeast so even if you were as low as 60 you should have been fine, but like if you put it in the fridge you'd probably get low attenuation. I ferment everything in a bath of water regulated @ 60 degrees by a fridgeration unit I salvaged from my college mini-fridge. I've never had a problem like this.

At this point I think what colo said maybe a good idea. But since it is in the keg already you may not have the ability to put on an airlock. As long as your keg has a blowoff valve, which it should, it will be safe to leave sitting. Make sure it is staying around room temperature and not in a fridge. Tomorrow, and everyday after, I would manually trigger the airlock to check for activity and to release the pressure buildup unless you want to begin carbonating the beer (at an uncontrollable pressure).

Sucks that you've ran into this issue, which I expect was just bad luck. Makes me want to make sure I test the FG of my next brew as I've gotten into a habbit of not doing it!

Latest posts

Back