Omega yeast packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used Wyeast smack packs before; pop it, shake it, let it begin working in the sealed pouch a day or so before pitching. The Omega packs don't have a nutrient pack do they? Do you just warm them slowly to pitching temperature and dump them in? (or make a starter, but I'll be using one pack in a modest-gravity 4 gallon batch)

Last edited:
Wyeast packs are the only ones that I know about that have nutrient packs. Usually 4 hours or so is enough to "proof" the yeast. To know they are alive. I think it is Omega that I looked up and that their packs are supposed to contain 200 billion cells. Wyeast packs contain approximately 100 billion when packaged. They start losing viability right away. An average beer should start with 300 to 400 billion cells so a starter is a good idea. The yeast will reproduce and ferment the beer, but may cause off flavors during this stage. That is one of the reasons to make a starter. Another is, if you want to start with the right cell count you could pitch another pack, but it is cheaper to make a starter. A third reason to pitch healthy cells - a starter feeds the cells.

So if I want to brew tomorrow, I can just pitch the just-opened packet but it would be better to make a starter today. Might even hold back some of the starter for "insurance".

All the Wyeast packs I've used were old. One of them took about 4 days to wake up (it was almost a year past-date) They all made good beer tho'. This Omega pack is still fresh.

300 to 400 billion is for lagers or ales? And for how many gallons of wort? This is ale yeast. (Voss Kveik) I'm more interested in pitching healthy cells than the right number -- but the right number would be good too.

Last edited:
Wyeast packs a year past date and "woken up" you probably only pitched about 10 billion cells or so. An extremely significant underpitch. I am surprised that you didn't have problems with those.

The 300 to 400 billion is for ales. Lagers would be at least twice that much. That is for 5 gallons.

I use this pitch rate calculator: http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ Hover over any field and you get a window with more information.

You will get better results under pitching kviek yeast. Check out lars’ blog if you havemt already. Kviek is a pretty unique beast.

Latest posts

Back