Omega Lutra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's definitely on the to do list over here! I actually just gelatin fined a normal Nottingham batch of this brew earlier today. Did I read correctly you fermented at 85F? If so how many days was it from brew day to keg/bottle? I was 10 days with Nottingham at 60F. Wanted to rebrew this as written first to work out the kinks and make sure I had a nice drinkable brew before toying around with it too much

it was 85 outside where it fermented so probably hotter in the bucket.
SG was 1.038
FG was 1.007
It pretty much stopped doing anything on day 2.

That's when i moved it to the kegs.
one got sugar and left in the basement the other was put on the gas in the keggorator and it took a few days to get the temp down and carb it up.
so 5-7 days.
it was fast, but it was a yeast cake from a previous brew so there was a lot of the little guys plus the ABV is low.

Bought ingredients for a Marzen with Lutra to brew this weekend. Ferm chamber (aka my bedroom closet) has held pretty steady at 80F. My plan is to pitch at 70F and let active fermentation and ambient temp bring it up to 80-85F and fingers crossed it comes out as clean as I'm hoping for!

standard marzen recipie?
that's next on my list.

Hard for me to tell if the last three Lutra brews I did at 65F 68F and 75F had any twang. Could not taste it through the white grape.
That is really interesting. I never had a hint of white wine in my lutras! Man these kveiks are a bit of a mystery.

standard marzen recipie?
that's next on my list.
Based on the VMO section of Designing Great Beers by Daniels...
70% Vienna
21% Light Munich
8% Caramunich I
And 1% acidulated for the pH

Hallertau to 23 IBUs, brewing salts leaning toward malty but still relatively soft

I brewed this last year with US05 and liked it a lot. It had 4% Crystal 60 and 4% Caramunich, but I decided to ditch the American malts this time lol

Skip the caramunich, that's just a crystal malt with a fancy name. This was never a thing in classic German styles. Instead, mash high enough to get desired sweetness.

I useGigaYeast 021 for the white wine eaters I want in my Kolsch.

the Lutra is throwing white grape, very sweet, not wine.
Hmmm... Never had that either .. although, my last beer with our was kind of sweet, but I also mashed very high by accident, so I wouldn't attribute it to the yeast in my particular case.

I was waiting to post until I had a more than a few lutra brews under my belt. So far, it is the cleanest kviek I’ve used, but it still has a “signature flavor”. In lutra’s case it seems
To be Pear. I’ve gotten strong pear flavor from every lutra beer I’ve brewed.

I was waiting to post until I had a more than a few lutra brews under my belt. So far, it is the cleanest kviek I’ve used, but it still has a “signature flavor”. In lutra’s case it seems
To be Pear. I’ve gotten strong pear flavor from every lutra beer I’ve brewed.

What temps have you fermented at?

THe recipe I made twice because it turned out so good, took a month at 35F before the white grape (pear is good description also) subsided along with the most of the musty yeasty. That was 68F ferment, in keg, until the exotherm finished, about 3 days, then spunded at 10-15 psi to pre-carb as ferment finished. I really don't want to wait a month and don't have lagering space, just two serving spaces, until winter when the basement hatch becomes serving/storage/lagering space.

Saw this on a Facebook forum. Working to verify the authenticity of this. If that’s true then that’s awesome!

Attachments

• 8C86B8F2-32EA-41C6-BA12-ABB1CD6AB1FE.png
    8C86B8F2-32EA-41C6-BA12-ABB1CD6AB1FE.png
    912.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm brewing Northern Brewers Legend of Lutra extract kit next week. Just received it today and then came across this thread. This will be my first beer with Lutra.

The kit is supposed to create a lager-like beer using Lutra. I was planning to hold fermentation at 68 and let it rise to room temp (75) at the finish. Then cold crash to 33 with gelatin finings for a couple weeks before I keg.

Any other suggestions for a clear beer with (hopefully) no off flavors? Thanks for your help!

I'd want @Miraculix 's magic formula for avoiding pear/grape before I tried it, but I am indeed intrigued...
I honestly cannot say that I got even a hint of insight. The beers I brewed with it were either mashed at a high temperature by accident, or with a high hopping rate... So nowhere near a real example.

I'm brewing Northern Brewers Legend of Lutra extract kit next week. Just received it today and then came across this thread. This will be my first beer with Lutra.

The kit is supposed to create a lager-like beer using Lutra. I was planning to hold fermentation at 68 and let it rise to room temp (75) at the finish. Then cold crash to 33 with gelatin finings for a couple weeks before I keg.

Any other suggestions for a clear beer with (hopefully) no off flavors? Thanks for your help!
You may or may not need to crash and fine this beer. The last beer I brewed with Lutra, a cream ale, was clear enough at kegging that I could read the paper through the hydrometer jar.

I think some of the tartness people talk about might be from a too low pH. I went up from 5.2 to 5.4 when mashing my pale worts.

I don't get anything but clean ales from Lutra,closer to a Kolsch then a lager. My first one was pitched at 64* and wrapped with 2 layers of reflectex and it went to 70* then fell to ambient. The next 2 were pitched at 68* then 76* both wrapped and free rise about 10 *. All were fed 1/2 tps of fermaid K and finished at 1.010

All tasted clean no distinct flavor or house flavor just good beer.

Spinning a starter up now for a Munich Dunkle recipe and will be brewing it again and pitching WLP 833 for a comparison, the Lutra will most likely be consumed by the time the 833 is ready so probably not a side by side.

It would honestly make brew day prep so much easier because I can make a pseudo lager but also a super clean ale, ill by this buy the brick when its available.

I brewed a bitter at 1.036 SG finished at 1.010 and I racked the wort to fermenter without any trub or hop debris. It was the purest cake ever and I dried it on parchment at 100*. I haven't used it yet, but a friend is using it this weekend.

Haven’t brewed with Lutra before … going to bite the bullet and try one, a Vienna pseudo lager. Doing a small batch (2.5 gal into the fermenter).

Pitch the full pack (150B cells)? Pitch half? What do you think? Thanks.

Haven’t brewed with Lutra before … going to bite the bullet and try one, a Vienna pseudo lager. Doing a small batch (2.5 gal into the fermenter).

I pitched about half the pack into 2 gallons of 1.056 "Marzen" and it should be finishing up in the next day or so without issue. Fermented around 80F

Screenshot_20210906-101104_Chrome.jpg

I pitched about half the pack into 2 gallons of 1.056 "Marzen" and it should be finishing up in the next day or so without issue. Fermented around 80F

View attachment 741534
Thanks. That was my first thought as well but wanted to get some second opinions. BTW, my recipe is similar to yours - just a little more Vienna, a little less Munich, and half the caramunich. Let us know how yours turns out. Cheers.

Underpitching enhances esters. I would pitch the whole thing. You want the least amount of ester possible.

And use yeast nutrient. And Oxygen. Ferment under pressure to further suppress esters. That'd be the ultimate.

But those of us home brewers, pitch it all and hold the temp on the low end.

Kegged an Oktoberfest with Lutra tonight. (First ever kegged batch). It was a lot clearer than the pale ale I made with it before. No cold crashing on either batch.

Underpitching enhances esters. I would pitch the whole thing. You want the least amount of ester possible.

And use yeast nutrient. And Oxygen. Ferment under pressure to further suppress esters. That'd be the ultimate.

But those of us home brewers, pitch it all and hold the temp on the low end.
Thanks. Are you thinking pitching half a pack (75B cells) into 2.5 gallons constitutes an underpitch?
Cheers.

Thanks. Are you thinking pitching half a pack (75B cells) into 2.5 gallons constitutes an underpitch?
Cheers.

The package says pitch 11g packet into 5 gal. Therefore 1/2 packet into 2.5 would not be under pitch the way I do it. I would measure out 2.5gm of the 11gm packet myself. If you don't have a scale, I'd pour it out on a piece of paper, separate in half, and again in half, and pitch 1/4 of it. Put the rest back in the packet, fold, tape, back in the fridge/freezer. That's what I'd do. Let the interwebz now attack.

Sorry, but I'm confused as to your recommendation.

Apologies. I got my Voss and Lutra threads mentally switched.

Lutra, you want no esters, you want to pitch at least the whole pkg into 5gal.
I somehow thought I was in dry Voss thread, and I use that to stress the heck out of it to produce the orange esters.

Apologies. I got my Voss and Lutra threads mentally switched.

Lutra, you want no esters, you want to pitch at least the whole pkg into 5gal.
I somehow thought I was in dry Voss thread, and I use that to stress the heck out of it to produce the orange esters.
Roger that. Thanks.

Back