Old old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minime

Reaction score
OK, so I discovered a few bottles of homebrew in my basement last week. I think they've been there for about 5 years (I know, major party foul ...)
I think it was an all-grain pale ale batch. It's incredibly clear, which is pretty cool - and I can't see any ropes or other bacteria-like growths.
So should I:

A. Try some, might still be good?
B. Flush ASAP and fill the bottles with something drinkable?
C. Call the bomb squad to dispose of them safely before they explode and infect half the neighbourhood with mutant killer bacteria?

You don't know what to expect until you open it up and try it. It's not going to kill you. Being a pale ale, it probably didn't hold up too well, but it might be an interesting experience anyway.

OK, so I gave it a shot, it still tastes a bit like beer but not really very pleasant. It's interesting, the hop aroma and flavor seems to be completely gone but the malt flavor is really strong.
As to whether it will kill me or not ...
:cross:

Give the remaining bottles a week to cold condition.

No doubt that if it was a high hop - high malt recipe...the hops have long since said "so long". But some cold conditioning may tame the malt a bit and help to balance the beer a bit.

minime said:
OK, so I discovered a few bottles of homebrew in my basement last week. I think they've been there for about 5 years (I know, major party foul ...) ?

It wouldn't be a party foul in they were barleywine, RIS, strong belgian, etc. It would probably be the best one you ever tasted from that batch. Saturday I went to a new homebrew club with a lot of older brewers(compared to me) and one guy was pouring a belgian strong dark ale he bottled in 2002! It was amazing! I hope that's me in a few years, well aged 'beer a plenty'. I think we need to keep beers around that long, of course if they're an appropriate style.

Sounds about right. Malt holds up, bitterness mellows, but hop aroma fades. Probably closer to an ESB at this point.

Latest posts

Back