Old Time Ginger Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentpatience

Reaction score
Hello,

My first post!

Based on old 1800's ginger beer recipes I made a ginger bug and feeding it for 1 week to get it fairly active. I added this concoction to the old time recipe attached.

old-ginger-beer-recipe-2.jpg
ginger-beer-brew.jpg
ginger-beer-brew-2.jpg

I am using recycled 1L Perrier plastic water bottles; they are recommended to be cheap and not burst under high pressures (yet).

I was looking at the pressure ratings for these types of bottles because I am told to use Champaign yeast instead of ale yeast (i bought both) to get it to ferment faster and with a harder side to it. I want something a little harder than 3%.

So the story goes...

I fermented the first vessel with the ginger bug that aged for 1 week with lots of ginger and sugar added along the way and then added about 1/2 tsp Champaign yeast Lalvin EC-1118 to the 2 Gallon vessel "the assassin" they call it at the brew shop as a catalyst a day or two before bottling to help bring up final ABV as real ginger beer bug can only survive till about 3% from what I am told. The whole process is a steep learning curve... I basically used an old time recipe which I have cited but we need to hack it a little bit to make everything chime together based on these new yeast strains and modern techniques.... I am wondering how long I have to leave the bottles out of the fridge before I "cold crash" the yeast and stop fermentation... I tasted it today (after 2 days around 26 degrees C) standing room temperature, it is nice and gingery but not very strong in alcohol yet and still a little too sweet... maybe less potent than Coors light lol....but they are getting extremely bubbly and compressing the Perrier bottles like crazy. I left them for a day to self carb but I worry if I leave them too long either the plastic bottles will burst or the extreme carbon dioxide pressure will start to kill the yeast? Is it safe to bottle ferment longer in the bottles at room temp and do I just do taste test to know when to cold crash?

What is the proper way to do this for a fairly drinkable product in modern times?? Is there any harm in leaving this mixture in the plastic Perrier bottles without releasing pressure everyday? I am told real Champaign bottles are designed to hold 90 PSI... when Perrier seems to be naturally compressing the bottle to 18PSI?

Thanks for your assistance/guidence,

Jeff

Last edited:
Back