Old DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTbrew

Reaction score
My dad has some fairly old DME which has dried into a solid brick. He is wanting to use it in a beer. I really don't know how old it is. Normally I wouldn't use old ingredients like this. Any thoughts? Is it worth trying?

As a side note, "DME Bricks" is the name of my new grunge-jazz fusion band. I know, I know...I'll show myself out.

On a serious note. What is the excepted shelf life for DME?

DME generally has a longer shelf life than LME. But that really depends on the "d" part of the equation. I don't know how much it it would degrade if it gets damp and forms a brick. Malt extract doesn't really spoil, per se, so it should stll be usable, but the beer may not be as good as one made with fresh ingredients.

If you decide to get some new DME, might I suggest using some of the old to make some bread, waffles, or pretzels? It won't work if the extract tastes bad, but if you're just looking for some way to not waste it, then why not give it a shot?

I agree on using it for starters though you may want to use it only for low grav starters requiring minimal DME just to help keep that flavor behind.

If you try to brew with it I would suggest saving as much of it as you can for a flame out/post boil addition as boiling it will only "concentrate" those flavors.

Another option (and what I personally would do) is to use it to supplement high gravity brews. This keeps the total percentage of "old" dme to a minimum which will still give fermentable sugars but not as much of that "old" taste. You can do sub some of your other extract in an extract based beer or, if you do any AG brewing, you can use it to boost your post boil gravity in an all grain beer.

So, it's sealed up really well, doesn't look all that old, is quality bress malt and tastes good. I think I'll make a stout out of it.

Back