oily mouthfeel in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violins

Reaction score
I really didn't want to post an "I think my beer is ruined" thread, but I have a problem. I've got a Rye IPA sitting in the primary after 17 days, and it has a strange oily mouthfeel that is pretty bad. I tested the sample after checking the gravity. It tastes good, but the aftertaste is terrible. It was still there even after brushing my teeth!
Is it dicetyl? I'm not lagering, and that was the only reference I could find to something like this.

My recipe:
2 lbs flaked rye
1 lb Cara-Pils
1 lb Caramunich
temp didn't go over 160* the whole time I mashed and rinsed (took a while with all these grains and my makeshift system)
4 lb LME
4 lb DME (added most late in boil)
3 oz pearl hops (1 ea 60, 45, 30)
2 oz Tettnang (15 and 5)
1 tsp Irish moss (10 min)
8 oz Malto-Dextrine (boil 60 min-added too early???)
1 tsp gypsum (60 min)
good water
1 pk Nottingham yeast

17 days at 70*. It foamed like crazy the first 2 days and I had to add a blowoff tube. I've got a lot of junk on the carboy all the way to the top, but the beer has dropped and looks normal. There might be an oily slick on top, but I can't tell for sure. A good 1" of junk has dropped out.
No airlock activity in the last week. I just checked the FG last night, so I don't know if it is still fermenting, but it doesn't look like it is still active. I didn't expect the FG to go much lower than where it is since I have a fair amount of unfermentables.
If it is diacetyl, then it needs to ferment longer, right? How can I make it do that now? Should I try something or just wait?

I'd still let it go through the bottling/conditioning phase...If the fermenter therm stick on the outside read 70, it was more like 78 during fermentation since fermentation puts out heat...and that's a little high...you might have gotten it from that...

If ferms done, and after 17 days it probably is, then bottle it and leave it alone for 3-4 weeks...I brewed an amber ale several weeks ago, that had a similar problem....We had a surprise heatsnap right around fermentation, and I hadn't set up my warm weather fermentation temp control. I came home to fine my place 85 degrees....

Consequently at bottling, the beer had a buttery/bubblegummy tast/mouthfeel. I went ahead and bottled it, and started sampling it after the first 2 weeks to see if it would change...after about 5 weeks that stuff started to fade away....I'll say it's not great beer yet (and I don't know if it ever will be) but it is drinkable now...

So give it a try.(You can also leave it alone for a couple more weeks to let the yeasts clean some of the mess up...then bottle)

I knew as soon as I dumped it in that I messed up. Gypsum was supposed to go in early and malto-dextrine late. You think that is the problem?

Nah he's trying to recreate the original "cock ale" recipe....:D

I almost puked when I first read that.

Almost.

Then I started wondering what it would taste like, and contemplated the difficulty therein compared to the awesomeness of being able to tell a girl that she needs to suck down my "cock"... ale!

I'd say it even surpasses the Dicken Cider.

"Nah sweetie, what you really need is a longneck if you're going to suck down this cock"

I just spewed Ice tea on my keyboard!!! :mug:

Three months a year I do the renaissance fair, so every weekend, for like 9 hours every day, I do nothing but bad puns and sexual innuendo. I'm still kind of stuck in that mode, will be until August or so.

But yes, after I got over the revulsion of throwing a chicken into my beer, I started thinking of all the trouble a brew named "cock ale" could get me into, although I ended up liking "cock lager" even better, it actually sounds like an insult.

"You f*cking cock lager!"

Three months a year I do the renaissance fair, so every weekend, for like 9 hours every day, I do nothing but bad puns and sexual innuendo. I'm still kind of stuck in that mode, will be until August or so.

But yes, after I got over the revulsion of throwing a chicken into my beer, I started thinking of all the trouble a brew named "cock ale" could get me into, although I ended up liking "cock lager" even better, it actually sounds like an insult.

...but it was such a small cock...hardly changed the flavor at all...:drunk:

I think I'll just let the beer sit in the primary a little longer unless I hear something else.
I'll wait on making any beer with cock in it, too.

Do you do the travelling renfest circuit? Ever make it to the Michigan Ren Fest???

One of the beliefs is that the term cocktail, comes from Cock Ale...

2 lbs flaked rye
1 lb Cara-Pils
1 lb Caramunich
temp didn't go over 160* the whole time I mashed and rinsed (took a while with all these grains and my makeshift system)

This is not a mash. The flaked rye needs to be mashed, with base malts. This is probably the root of your problem.

Do you do the travelling renfest circuit? Ever make it to the Michigan Ren Fest???

One of the beliefs is that the term cocktail, comes from Cock Ale...

Nah, I don't travel around. I stick to Southern California, and I'm down to the one big one and maybe another in Vegas or locally if I'm in the mood. I know folks that do the circuit though, and it's a hard life on them. Plus, I'd rarely have time to brew if I did that!

I thought I would post a followup in case anyone was interested. I gave it another 5 days and tested it. The FG didn't change at all, but the oily stuff went away.
Kegged it and just had a pint. Even without the chicken, this is my best beer yet!

I thought I would post a followup in case anyone was interested. I gave it another 5 days and tested it. The FG didn't change at all, but the oily stuff went away.
Kegged it and just had a pint. Even without the chicken, this is my best beer yet!
Sounds like it's...cock-a-doodle done!!! :D

Glad to hear it. It does sound like some diacetyl that the yeast cleaned up. I'm happy to hear that it turned out so good! :mug:

Latest posts

Back