OG too low, can add candysugar after 1 week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brewed a witbeer, and I didn't get to my target OG. Stupid enough, I wanted to finish, so I have boiled shorter than I was supposed to, without realizing that this would affect my OG :no:(leasson learned!)

Planned ABV was 4.9%, now would be 4.1% according to BeerSmith (if the fermentations goes well). I know it's not a big deal but I would like to kick the ABV a few points, to stick to the expected beer, ideally 4.7/4.9.

The beer is 1 week in fermenter (yeast White Labs Belgian Wit II).
Can I add now candy sugar to raise the ABV, or would be better to avoid and leave it as it is?

You could add a table sugar slurry to your beer, 1/2# or so, probably wouldn't effect the flavor too much but I'd just leave it. Youll probably drink it faster because it's a lower ABV, then you can brew some more.

Beersmiths FG numbers are just guesstimates. You don't know the ABV until it's done. I wouldn't do anything to it. You'll bump OG but also make the beer thinner.

Back