OG Changes While Transferring Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nayr14

Reaction score
When I'm finished cooling my wort (BIAB) and start siphoning it into the fermenter, I typically take a gravity sample. On my last batch I took two gravity samples. The first one had more white-ish sediment (and some hops) which measured 1.051. Out of curiosity, I took another reading when the fluid was flowing clear, which read 1.048 (lower). Although the difference isn't major, I'm trying to figure out what causes it. Does the white stuff (excuse my ignorance) from the boil have more sugars than the resulting clear wort? Or do the hops increase the gravity reading since they displace the wort?

Solid particles in a liquid do not change the specific gravity. Most likely you had some stratification in the boil kettle when you started to transfer. I like to take my final reading from the fermenter after I have finished aeration as that stirs the wort enough to make it more uniform.

Back