Official HBT Weight loss thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rather than stuff that comes from a factory.

Thats a much better view- Not if it taste good dont eat it line of crap.

At the Flynn house we pride ourself on making dinners with foods we prepaired fresh. Huge difference in the way our family feels. I cook foods all the time people tell me its amazing how good it taste, especially when I use lowfat or fat free foods.

Here's my little update. I just got back from the Military Entrance Processing Station(MEPS) and my official weight is 233, which is 83lbs lost. I also got swore into the delayed entry program(DEP) for the Air Force!

BTW, I'm rather disappointed with the 96 I got on my ASVAB.

I just ordered the Power90 workout video set. I've heard enough good things about it here to finally make a move.

I'm gonna go buy some new clothes after work today. Right now I'm a 2x shirt, and a 42-34 pants. I'm buying a Large shirt and a 36-34 pants. Then when I get home I'm going to nail them to the wall over my bed. If this workout series does what it claims to do, I'll be wearing those clothes in 90 days.

We shall see.:fro:

I weighed myseld this morning and the scale registered 199!!!:ban:

That is the first time in over 20 years I've been under 200! I've lost over 35 pounds so far and I've now set my goal at 190. OMG I love seeing that 1 in the first digit of my weight!:ban:

WhooPee!:ban:

I've been dieting and exercising for 9 weeks now and I'm down by 30 pounds to 247. I'd like to lose another 30 by July, if I can.

Here's my little update. I just got back from the Military Entrance Processing Station(MEPS) and my official weight is 233, which is 83lbs lost. I also got swore into the delayed entry program(DEP) for the Air Force!

Congrats!! Pretty soon you can come over here and watch people with no skills pull 6 figures!

I did not read through this entire thread, but I recently started to get a little healthier too. I weighed in at 205 3 weeks ago, and was supprised to see I am finally over 200. I changed my eathing habits, and that alone has me back down to 195. I also started at the gym again, so with a few weeks of ffort I am thinking I will be back to my college weight of 185, then it is just maintenence. I am not going to adjust my beer drinking unless it becomes a real health issue. I just need to compensate at the guym on the weights and cardio. Besides, there is fun stuff to look at there.

Just finished the US Navy PFA (Physical Health Assessment) this morning. Four events 1)Sit and reach (sit down stretch out legs and touch toes), 2) Sit-ups, 3) Push-Ups and a 1.5 mile run. I knew I wasn't going to do all that great because I haven't worked in a long time, but this morning showed me how pathetic my overall fitness really is. I barely passed in each event and almost gave up on the 1.5 mile run. As it is, I made the minimum time by 7 seconds.

When I was younger I used to joke about being in the 3 mile a year club (since we run the PFA twice a year). It wasn't as hard back then. I was lighter, and younger so I could do better with minimal effort. Not anymore. I've never felt so out of shape in my life. I need to get motivated now, because if I don't, I can honestly see myself failing the next one.

My 11 year old son has a fitness test at school today, and he was practicing sit ups in the living room this morning when I got back, and doing better at them than I did.

Bump simply because I am leaving in the morning and I now weight 175lbs!!! For those of you keeping count thats almost 30lbs from the beginning of this thread. Plus I leave for Mexico in the morning to get married to the woman of my dreams(she's a heck of a lot hotter than me) I won $100 for the weight loss plus the fact i can make fun of my best man cause i lost all that weight! WOO HOO!!!

SD

Uhm yeah. Wedding 1 month from today. Pounds lost = 0. Somehow I didn't think I was being realistic. I knew I would need SWMBO's support to do it, and I didn't have it - She's worse off than me in the past 3 months' frame. Oh well. It'll still be a damn fine wedding.

Uhm yeah. Wedding 1 month from today. Pounds lost = 0. Somehow I didn't think I was being realistic. I knew I would need SWMBO's support to do it, and I didn't have it - She's worse off than me in the past 3 months' frame. Oh well. It'll still be a damn fine wedding.

Heres an idea make a bet with your best man for some money heck it worked for me!

SD

Heh. My best man is a chick. I'm sure she'd take kindly to that bet.

I should be making the bet against SWMBO. We're both proportionally the same amount heavier than we'd like to be, we both have the same bad habits to shed, and we both have problems with self-discipline but work well when someone else is helping us.

But the stress. Oh the stress. Shoot me pls. :/

hey man one of my groomsman is a chick! All you need to do is find a reason, mine was to make my best man eat ****! I didnt care about the money just wanted to beat him. Get your SWMBO on board and you two get a plan, its the best way to do it is with a partner1:mug:

Dunno if you guys are still at it or not, but I've lost just a little bit over 40 pounds since January.

It's actually not that hard. Do a google search on Michi's ladder. I've coupled that w/ some exercise and bicycle commuting, and the weight just falls off.:fro:

don't know if anyone is still at it...

i've been working out and trying to shed a few 30 pounds or so... I haven't wieghed myself in a few weeks, the last time I was 240lbs.

I'll have to update everyone tomorrow.

Haven't been playing, haven't lost weight. But I did do suprisingly well on my last Navy PFA which made me happy.

I forgot about this thread. I've lost about 10lbs since I started the thread (10 months ago). I could still use work on my mid section, but my weight overall is ok...

Yeah I'm trying to loose weight too.......before walking into the bathroom 240lbs after walking out 237, not bad for 10 minutes worth of work. :D

I'm at 155 and have been holding steady since I graduated high school in 1986.:D
*ducks flying objects*

Props to you all trying to lose weight. It's one of the toughest battles out there. Good job sticking to it.

Wanna lose weight? Separate from your SWMBO. I've dropped 40 since Memorial day. Was over 200#, now I'm finally leveling off around 160-165.

I am 257lbs and 6'1. I currently have no diet, no exercise, and have smoked for the past 8 years.
Step 1: I am quitting smoking today.
Step 2: SWMBO is back home next week, so we can start cooking dinner every night again. This means I take leftovers for lunch at work instead of going to fast food.
Step 3: I need to take my Visa cards out of my wallet. Then I CAN'T buy fast food.
Step 4: I need a bike. Don't own one. (I don't walk/jog because my knees are screwed up, need something gentler.)

Ha. Hahaha. Ha ha, ha ha hahaha ha.

Where was I?

Oh right. Still in the process of quitting smoking... Most recently, I made it most of the way through July and August with minimal cig's ... perhaps 3 during each month? September hit, which meant College Football hit... and that always leads to being royally druck on Saturday. Plus, I've conditioned myself to want cigarettes when the weather does certain things... the first couple of real "fall" nights make me chain smoke like a coal train. So, both SWMBO and I are pretty much back at 1 cigarette per night. On the bright side, we VERY rarely exceed one per night. So we're getting close to the goal. After all, I was smoking about a pack per week, before. Now, as long as I keep them to myself, it's closer to a pack per three weeks.

Nightly dinners... *sigh* I think they are responsible for more *gain* than anything. I just can't wrap my mind around cooking healthy things for dinner. They simply don't fill me up, I'm a big guy. BUT we've done pretty well at cutting down on amount and frequency of fast food. We're pretty much at one fast food trip per week now. And I've been taking lunch of some kind (ramen, hot pockets, leftovers, etc) with me to work, almost every day.

Exercise... um... let's not go there.

Today? 269 lbs. On the bright side, I was 285lbs in late August. So ... up 12 from January.

Gastric Bypass.
Side benefits... no more BP meds no more Diabetes.

I can drink a beer or two if i watch the carbonation levels.
But hey... I like brewing more than drinking anyway.

I also need to lose weight...I mean I only weight 175 but I should be at like 160-165.
Im also a diabetic so thats why I also need to watch my weight. I eat ok, I try not to smoke, I do go to the gym here or there.

I guess this thread fell asleep...WAKE UP THREAD!!

I just started up the P90x system again. I did it back in October and had amazing results within the first two weeks, but quit after six weeks for no apparent reason. We've cut our drinking down to three days a week, I can't even fathom a way to quit smoking though...I'm not out of shape, just want to be in better shape, whatever that means.

Anyone have any experience with quitting smoking when the one thing you want to do while drinking is light one up?

lets wake this thread up again!

Anyone else trying to lose weight right now?

I have become quite large over the last decade due to various reasons. Lazziness and bs excuses are the number one reason. I had two siginicant injuires in the early part of the decade which required four surgeries. This has left me with sore knees and one really painful shoulder. I also went from working construction in college to a desk job once I graduated. Plus, I love beer more now than ever....So as you can see the odds are stacked against me, right?

Well, I started weight watcher a couple weeks ago. I am realizing that never in my life had I watched what I eat or taken any real consideration to my diet. I over-ate all the time and my diet was extremely high in fat. Now that I actually have a clue about what I am supposed to be putting into my body I feel like I can lose most this weight. I should weigh about 210. I started this challenge weighing 287.5 and Im already down to 275 in two and half weeks. I have not sacraficed much beer drinking, but my eating is drastically different. I even had two days where I ate BBQ and drank as much as I wanted. I just have to realize that those are supposed to be special occasions...not every day life!

Anyway, Im sure there are more going through the same thing I am....chime in

I was actually thinking about health and weight loss today. Funny this thread popped up.

I remember having goals. Get healthy by age 20, 30, 35. I'm just a few years away from 40 now and consider myself fortunate not to have been plagued by major issues, but I don't consider myself healthy at all. I keep looking for that motivation and hope I find it soon.

I'm at 155 and have been holding steady since I graduated high school in 1986.:D
*ducks flying objects*

Props to you all trying to lose weight. It's one of the toughest battles out there. Good job sticking to it.

In nearly the same boat paddling along with you dudging the flying objects.

Graduated 1989 at 138lbs, 20'ish years later Im at 158lbs. One pound a year I can live with that. Although once I have a bit more free time and get back into riding I'm sure I can drop of few pounds off that number. ;)

I'll get on board. I lost 40 lbs last year but gained back about 11 of it. SWMBO decided 2 weeks ago that we were going on a diet. Doesn't really matter to me. As long as I don't have to work at it I'll eat whatever she puts in front of me. Problem is, she decided on the Atkins diet, which we have done before. I can eat all the meat I want, but no sugars/carbs. This of course hinders the beer drinking. We (SHE) made the decision that I would only drink on the weekends and in moderation. It's worked out pretty well. Down 6 lbs as of this morning. I need to lose 14 more but would be really happy with the 11 I put back on so 5 to go. 4th of July is this weekend and I will overdrink the beer. Probably a lot of BMC Light though so maybe not too bad. Back to the diet on Tuesday! Good luck everyone.

01-04-2008 I am 257lbs and 6'1.
10-23-2008 Today? 269 lbs. On the bright side, I was 285lbs in late August. So ... up 12 from January.
A follow-up... I kind of went up and down for a little while... Summer 2009 was probably the worst, I topped out at 295 lbs. Today, I am hovering back around 245-250 lbs. and am feeling... passable. Not great, but something.

Big changes have been:
- Taking Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers frozen lunches to work instead of eating fast food for lunch each day.
- SWMBO and I both limiting fast food for Dinner to 2-3 times per week, depending on "what's going on", what nights we have to run errands or be someplace, etc.
- Trying to get back into some motion. I won't even call it 'exercise', just any basic getting-up and moving-around. Parking a little further away so that I have to walk, or making myself mow the lawn YES EVEN if it's 95 degrees outside.

I'm definitely not "there" yet though. Most of the time I still feel like crap, even though people are constantly asking, "Oh man! You're losing weight, aren't you??" ... just makes me wonder how f'ing fat I looked last summer. :drunk:

Never saw this thread, and no time to read through, but wanted to contribute.

I took June off from drinking beer. And wine and liquor, but I don't drink much of those. To compensate, I found myself housing freeze pops and more ice cream, and I live closer to a McDonald's now. But at the end of the month, even with slightly more McD's, increased ice cream/freeze pops, and no increase in non-existant exercise.....

.... I lost 8-10 lbs.

I didn't weigh myself when I started, but I had a good idea. My wife calculated calories that I was drinking in beer form and said that before June, I was consuming 8 days worth of meals every 7 days thanks to beer!

Anyway, not preaching here, as it's not for everyone, but I am going to try and do this twice a year. And now that I have beer back in moderation, I am trying to cut empty calories in other places like flavored creamer and sugar in coffee, etc....

Hell... my weight bounces around within a 10 pound range all the time, without me doing anything to cause it to go up or down. I weighed myself Sunday and was 209. This morning I was 201.

It's all water, I'm sure. First thing I do in the morning is drink two pints of water... which instantly adds 2lbs to my weight.

So I never joined in on this thread. Nor did I read the whole thing, but as of yesterday I weighed in at 173 in the morning and again at night. That puts me at -30lb from about 3.5 months ago. In doing this I dramatically cut back on my drinking (for the time being!) and have eaten much healthier than I had previously. I eat small meals/snacks 6 times a day, and drink lots and lots of water.

Just before the pounds started coming off, I started running. At first I stuck with the running because I saw the pounds falling away, and at this point I've really come to enjoy it, hell, I'm not afraid to say it: I LOVE to run. I run 4 miles at least 4 times a week, sometimes stepping it up to 5 or 6 on a weekend morning as a treat to myself.

I turned 22 last week and I'm now in the best shape of my life. I haven't been this weight since.... 9th or 10th grade? I was a heavy kid and my first drivers license reads 180, and I can only remember being 200+ since 12th grade onwards. And I was never in this good of shape. I'm 5'11'' and I'm in good health now, and I want to keep it that way!

As motivation to help keep myself this way, plus pursue my more far-fetched interests, I'm looking into joining the Marine PLC program where I can be guaranteed an aviation contract before signing on the dotted line to become a Marine Officer.

You dont have to starve yourself to do it! You dont have to forgo alcohol! Find healthy foods you enjoy eating (even if its just clif bars,) get a whiskey you can handle straight, neat, or on the rocks, and treat yourself to a six pack of something good every other week.

Not preaching either, I'm surprised I've done it! I have heard this analogy though and I think it rings true- if you were given one car to drive for the rest of your life, how would you treat it? Would you put cheap gas in it? Forget to change the oil til 10k miles? Drive around with the check engine light on? Or would you do routine maintenance, not try and see how fast it can go, and avoid potholes?

Oh, and one more thing: throughout this entire 3.5 month period I have NOT had the support of my girlfriend. She has preferred to be lazy and maintain eating patterns that are not conducive to my current choices. I've asked her to go running with me, running with her at her pace when she has, and so on. She has belittled my progress just saying that I need to stop cause I'm "too skinny" (I know I'm not, I could stand to lose another 5-10 and be just fine) and has constantly put down some of the foods I eat to support my healthy eating habits.

I don't really care for comments on the health of our relationship, haha, but I just wanted to point out its about what YOU want, because its YOUR body. If your significant other won't leave the couch to go for a walk with you? Go on your own.

So, I know this thread is 3 years old, but how's the weight loss going. I am at my all time biggest. 205# My hope is to brew more sessions (that'll surely cut calories) and get off my ass once in awhile. We'll see how it goes.

Back