Off-taste, will it mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMack

Reaction score
Bottled my second batch last night. It's a Dunkelweizen from Austin Homebrew mini-mash kit, equipment sanitized with iodophor. Flavor was not right. My first impression was that it was watered down with very chlorinated water. But looking at Palmer and some of the threads on here, I'm wondering if it's the medicinal/Band-Aid flavor that's mentioned.

I'm not so worried that I pitched it, it's bottled and I'll be patient. I'm looking for opinions as to whether this flavor is one that will mellow after time in the bottle or not.

Any thoughts?

I'm always hesitant to suggest new brewer's "self diagnose" an off flavor based on what they read...rather I suggest they find an experienced brewer, preferably someone who went through an "off flavors" bjcp type course. Some new brewers can't distinguish a bad flavor from simply a green flavor...and you don't mention how long you have had it in the bottle...If it's under 3 and sometimes even under 8 it more than likely is still green....

But I can only cite the stories in here about how a seemingly off or bad batch can often magincally improve with time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Also

Just bottled last night so green is definitely a possibility. My plan was to give it at least 2-3 weeks before even a testing bottle.

And that's about the answer I expected. Sometimes us newbies just need a few words fo wisdom to reassure and calm us before we toss a beer because of inexperience. Thanks.

Just bottled last night so green is definitely a possibility. My plan was to give it at least 2-3 weeks before even a testing bottle.

And that's about the answer I expected. Sometimes us newbies just need a few words fo wisdom to reassure and calm us before we toss a beer because of inexperience. Thanks.

Never ever judge a beer until it has been at least three weeks in the bottle, it goes through a whole bunch of chemical changes during the carbing/bottle conditionig period.

Read this as well then. http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Of_Patience_and_Bottle_Conditioning/

RElAX...it's a game of patience.

:mug:

I get that medicine/band-aid flavor all the time in my green beers. But a few weeks later it's always gone. I'm sure it's fine.

I had a batch of bitter that was made on a lark from some very mistreated LME (like stored in my 100F garage). For the first several weeks it tasted distinctly extract twangy. I'd say that the twang was 20% of the flavor. Dumpworthy.

Now after 4mos the twang is down to about 5% so it's pretty drinkable. Someone who didn't know any better probably wouldn't pick it up.

OK, I was out for a meeting last night and literally ran into a HBS before I got there. In speaking with the woman there I have come to the conclusion that the off-taste is realted to my use of iodophor. Looking at the information around I used about double the amount that I should have.

Does it sound reasonable that this is the result of my off-flavor? And is it likely to mellow with time?

It could be reasonable, but you don't definitely have an "off flavor" yet. You have a 5 day conditioned beer. If they were meant to taste good now you'd only age 5 days instead of at least 21. :)

I agree, and I know that I don't have enough experience to know the difference yet. It's been bottled now for 10 days. I tasted one at 7 days and the flavor was reduced, but still obvious. I'm going to try one each week to try and see the progression of the bottle conditioing. We'll see how it goes.

I use Iodophor for everything, including sanitizing my bottles right before bottling- and I've got no off tastes, but I've never tried one before 2 weeks in the bottle. You're worrying way too early and trying to find a cure to green beer IMO.

Looking at the information around I used about double the amount that I should have.

Does it sound reasonable that this is the result of my off-flavor? And is it likely to mellow with time?

Iodophor at no-rinse dilution is 12.5ppm. Twice that is 25ppm which would require a rinse. I do not know that 25ppm would necessarily contribute an off-flavor, but this is a great time to review your measuring routine.

I have found that small syringes (from the pharmacy) marked in ml make proper dilutions very easy: your 12.5ppm target is ~3ml iodophor for each gallon of water.

I agree. And actually I'm switching snaitizers. I was out of the iodophor anyway and the lhbs recommended one-step so I am going to give that a try. Going to try another beer in a day or two and see if the flavor is mellowing yet.

I agree. And actually I'm switching snaitizers. I was out of the iodophor anyway and the lhbs recommended one-step so I am going to give that a try. Going to try another beer in a day or two and see if the flavor is mellowing yet.

Don't use onesetep...it's NOT an FDA Certified sanitizer...It's what the LHBS dump on the noobs to, and eventually they learn the truth and switch to something better...

Read this...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

The only two FDA recognized sanitizers for homebrewing are Starsan or Iodophor

If you use iodophor at the right dillution of 1 tbs/5 gallons it will not affect the flavor of your beer....It you use Starsan at the correct dillution it will not taint the flavor of the beer

If iodophor made our beers taste bad, why would so many people use it...

OK, so it's been over a month. I've been tasting one a week and it's not getting better. I'm going to keep trying for a few more weeks, but I'm losing hope with this one.

OK, so it's been over a month. I've been tasting one a week and it's not getting better. I'm going to keep trying for a few more weeks, but I'm losing hope with this one.

It must be drinkable. Just keep trying them and soon they will be all gone then you have no worries

I quit using the the iodophor because of the band-aid taste, and switched to bleach. I still got the band-aid taste with bleach, so I switched back to iodophor. It's just green, give it time.

It must be drinkable. Just keep trying them and soon they will be all gone then you have no worries

Not drinkable yet. Usually have to get rid of most of the bottle. But I can be patient. At least I have a Kolsch in the bottles that after jsut a week is wonderful, if a little flat. Another week or two and that one will be great.

Back