British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xjmox14x said:
FYI for those of you wondering (as I was). I wanted to make a maple nut brown so I decided to use this as a base as I've made it before and loved it. I skipped on the maple syrup as everyone typically suggests and used maple extract instead. Using a few commercial beers and a 1ml dropper I put together a couple of taste tests and scaled it up from there. I found that adding 0.5 oz. of the maple extract wasn't bad, but you wouldn't be able to notice it unless I told you it was in there. 1.0 oz. had good maple aroma and flavor, but seemed to overpower the base beer a bit. So, I decided to go with 0.75 oz. I just tapped this last night and it is amazing. There's a big maple aroma and taste, but doesn't overpower the nutty/chocolately notes of the base beer. Nor is it sweet or "sticky" tasting, as I was fearing. Definitely nailed it.

Quick question, how many drops per bottle equal 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons??

I brew this on 8-27-2013 as a 11.5 gallon partial mash had it in the kegs on 9-4-2013 on gas drinking by 9-7-2013

I brewed it with s-04 as the yeast very nice nut brown drinks well, I like it at about 54 degrees

I have one 5 gallon keg with priming sugar sitting at 70 degrees I can't want to taste it, I will be brewing this one again for sure all grain

thanks for a super nice nut brown ale recipe

all the best

S_M

nut brown ale 2.jpg

Hey... im brewing this great beer atm. But im not sure about the tempraturs for the yeast. im at primary fermitation now and its on 70F now, so i need to cool it down. The best temp. for the yeast should be 57-70F, i have an refrigerator there can go up to 50-54F, but is this to could? what am i best off doing? 70f or 50-54f ?

Here is my opinion of ferment temp through experimentation . I always fermented in my laundry room where the AC unit is . It is usually 70 to 72 degrees room temp in their . Beer comes out great . no problems . Even blondes do not get any off flavors . Note that I use US05 or Notty almost all the time . this may make a difference if using some other type yeast .
I recently bought a fridge to get it colder and see if that made a better beer . NOT ! All it did by dropping the temp down to 64 to 68 is cause my fermentation to go very slowly and take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks to finish . Beer tastes just the same .
I noticed that after initial fast take off in fermenter that temp was around 76 degrees ( beer ) and most of the time around 2 degrees warmer than room temp .
I have since dumped the fridge idea and went back to 70 degree room temp.

Here is my opinion of ferment temp through experimentation . I always fermented in my laundry room where the AC unit is . It is usually 70 to 72 degrees room temp in their . Beer comes out great . no problems . Even blondes do not get any off flavors . Note that I use US05 or Notty almost all the time . this may make a difference if using some other type yeast .
I recently bought a fridge to get it colder and see if that made a better beer . NOT ! All it did by dropping the temp down to 64 to 68 is cause my fermentation to go very slowly and take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks to finish . Beer tastes just the same .
I noticed that after initial fast take off in fermenter that temp was around 76 degrees ( beer ) and most of the time around 2 degrees warmer than room temp .
I have since dumped the fridge idea and went back to 70 degree room temp.

Hey thx for the info.. i can see the temp. are around 68-70 this morgning on the bucket som i guess it should be fine. Btw nice info on you experiment, i will keep it in mind for another time...

ill will repost when beer is done to tell how it went :)

I want to make a chocalate hazelnut brown ale. Do you think this would be a good base that would compliment the hazelnuts chocalate?

I brew this on 8-27-2013 as a 11.5 gallon partial mash had it in the kegs on 9-4-2013 on gas drinking by 9-7-2013

I brewed it with s-04 as the yeast very nice nut brown drinks well, I like it at about 54 degrees

I have one 5 gallon keg with priming sugar sitting at 70 degrees I can't want to taste it, I will be brewing this one again for sure all grain

thanks for a super nice nut brown ale recipe

all the best

S_M

This looks like the perfect carbonation, I am new to kegging, what pressure did you use and for how long? I will be kegging mine next weekend... Thanks!

This looks like the perfect carbonation, I am new to kegging, what pressure did you use and for how long? I will be kegging mine next weekend... Thanks!

I did two days at 20 psi @34 degrees and the purged the keg and had it a serving pressure 10-12 psi for a day @ 42-44 degrees

start drinking and it gets perfect

all the best

S_M

Based on the following, my OG is a little high.

Type Partial Mash
Efficiency 68.0%
Batch size 5.0 gal
Boil Size 6.25 Gallons
Boil time 60 min

Fermentables
Name Amount Use PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 2.0 lb 22 % Mash 37
Oats, Flaked 1.0 lb 11 % Mash 37
Crystal 60 1.0 lb 11 % Mash 32
Victory® Malt 8.0 oz 5 % Mash 34
Chocolate Malt 4.0 oz 2 % Mash 34
Pilsen Light DME 4.0 lb 45 % Boil 44

Hops
Name Amount Time Use Form AA
Fuggle United States 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 5.2%
Golding United States 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 5.5%

Yeasts
Name Lab Attenuation Temp
Nottingham Ale Yeast WLP039 White Labs 77.5% 66°F – 70°F

Results from Brewtoad:

1.058 OG
1.013 FG
27 IBU
5.9% ABV
17 SRM
0.47 IBU/OG

1. Should I adjust anything to get the OG lower?

2. If not, and I keep everything the same, should I add another 1/4-1/2 a packet of notty since the OG is hovering around 1.06?

3. The AA on the UK East Goldings was around 7.2, so I subbed with the US version which is closer to the original. Any problem with doing this?

4. I assume Pilsen light is Extra Light DME and Pilsen Golden Light DME is regular light. Would the only difference bw these two just be some added color?

Two weeks on the vanilla beans, took a sample, down to 1.002! About half way there with the vanilla flavor I am seeking. It is clearing really well, should be able to see through it despite how dark it is. This will be a really nice holiday brew. . .

I brewed this up for the second time about six weeks ago. Based on an HBT thread and a lack of time I did an overnight mash. This turned out great again, this is a great nut brown recipe with a nice subtle chocolate finish.

Brewed up a 3 gallon batch this past weekend. Hit the numbers dead on! Looking forward to trying it. The hydrometer sample tasted great! Thanks for the recipe!! :mug:

Kegging this tonight, three and a half weeks on the vanilla beans, I think it is ready. The sample I pulled was well balanced, and dark yet not cloudy - - could see through it, like wearing really dark sunglasses. Will post tasting notes and pic in a week or so once it is carbonated.

So, it tastes a bit green still, a bit of an astringent aftertaste, not bad, very drinkable, just not as good as I expected. Perhaps it will improve with a few more weeks, and perhaps next time I will stick closer to the original recipe rather than add the honey and maple syrup like I did. I suspect these more simple fermentables are what is causing the aftertaste.

brown.jpg

TheWeeb said:
Perhaps it will improve with a few more weeks, and perhaps next time I will stick closer to the original recipe rather than add the honey and maple syrup like I did. I suspect these more simple fermentables are what is causing the aftertaste.
I've never used vanilla but if I did I'd stick with it in a porter or stout. Vanilla, maple and honey seems like a lot. Though I just bottled a breakfast stout combining maple, oats, coffee, chocolate and bourbon. So who am I to talk? :)

Wow! I just racked this to secondary last night, took a gravity sample, and loved it! Mine started a little high at 1.061 and is now at 1.012, but there is no hint that it is 6.5%. It is so smooth and there is a real taste of nut which was very surprising. If this stays the same or gets better, this might be my house recipe for brown :D

I got the grain bill for this recipe today. Any words of advice for a year long brewer?

Did a 10 gallon batch and split it between kegs. One I kept like the original recipe, turned out great! Added about 8oz whole Hawaiian coffee beans (don't have notes with me to see how long I "dry-hopped" them). LOTS of coffee flavor, but remained smooth and drinkable like the original. Both were hits!

I added a cup of unground coffee beans for 12 hours to my keg and its incredible! Thanks for the recipe I will be brewing this again very soon

Brewing this recipe tomorrow...Has anyone tried to spice this up for the holidays? I am thinking cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe cloves. When and how much is kind of what I'm getting at.

Now that I see this post about spicing it up, I'm kicking myself in the arse. This brew I was thinking about bottling with maple syrup but I've never done that before and I don't want to mess up what is looking to be a great beer.

Brewing this recipe tomorrow...Has anyone tried to spice this up for the holidays? I am thinking cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe cloves. When and how much is kind of what I'm getting at.

I would do 2 or 3 cloves at most and probably just 2 cinnamon sticks as well.

I brewed this a few weeks ago and bottled it on Sunday night. I nailed all the numbers dead on and I can't wait for it to carb and condition. My sample tasted terrific! I'm entering it in my brewer's guild competition, I'll let you all know how it does!

I brewed this a few weeks ago and bottled it on Sunday night. I nailed all the numbers dead on and I can't wait for it to carb and condition. My sample tasted terrific! I'm entering it in my brewer's guild competition, I'll let you all know how it does!

Good luck. I think im going to enter this in my first competition, the sample was so good! :mug:

Has anyone tried this recipe with Nottingham and then followed the recipe exactly the same but used S 05?

I ask because I did something similar to this recipe with S 05 and then another batch a bit different, but still similar, with Nottingham. The second batch (with the Notties) is still conditioning, but it seems to me like the S05 gives a fuller, richer, maltier beer whereas the Notties gives a smoother lighter feeling beer (perhaps more sessionable too).

It may be too early to draw this conclusion as I am yet to taste the conditioned product. But I think when I get to doing the original recipe on this thread (which will be soon) I will probably go with S05 rather than Notties.

I just finished brewing up 10 gallons.... I had an interesting brew day.

My SG was 1.0698 I came out with 82% efficiency... I hope it turns out well.

Going to try to brew this up in the next couple days. Had it on my list for months but other beers keep getting in the way!

I was planning a New Years Day brew session and this recipe came to the top of my list! I am going old school and doing the original version, Lil' Sparky ya really nailed this one. Printing out my BrewTarget Brewday as I type.

Back