British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used fuggles around the 20-15 minute mark a few times and it comes through nicely.

I suggest, personal view, that you brew up an IPA or APA for November 1st and let this one sit a while rather.

I also did an columbus day ipa also at the same time so im hoping they are both ready! :mug:

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of using some of the 013 yeast in a starter to get them back in consumption mode, so that will probably be my plan going forward if I decide I need it. I've never washed yeast, but I'd like to start at some point (really just need fridge space) so this will be a good opportunity to try my hand at that.

I didn't rehydrate the Windsor. Last time I tried to rehydrate dry yeast the temp was a little high and I killed 'em all off. My own fault for sure, but for me the whole advantage to dry yeast is the total simplicity, so I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't rehydrate. I'll pick a better strain for my next attempt..

Don't tell Jamil, but I don't use boiled and cooled water ;)

Wen I'm going to rehydrate dry yeast, I usually get a bottle of drinking water and leave it at room temp. About 30 min before I pitch, I sanitize a glass measuring cup, then spray some star San on the neck of the water bottle. I open the bottle, hit the rim with one more blast of starsan and then put about 300 ml of water and some yeast nutrient in the cup.

Stir with a sanitized spoon until the nutrient dissolves then sprinkle yeast on top. Spray a piece of foil with starsan and cover.

About 15 min later, give the cup a swirl. Keep your spoon sanitized as you may have to scrape some of the yeast from the sides of the cup.

At 30-ish min, you should have a pretty well rehydrated slurry.

I only have about 5 min if actual effort into it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't tell Jamil, but I don't use boiled and cooled water ;)

Wen I'm going to rehydrate dry yeast, I usually get a bottle of drinking water and leave it at room temp. About 30 min before I pitch, I sanitize a glass measuring cup, then spray some star San on the neck of the water bottle. I open the bottle, hit the rim with one more blast of starsan and then put about 300 ml of water and some yeast nutrient in the cup.

Stir with a sanitized spoon until the nutrient dissolves then sprinkle yeast on top. Spray a piece of foil with starsan and cover.

About 15 min later, give the cup a swirl. Keep your spoon sanitized as you may have to scrape some of the yeast from the sides of the cup.

At 30-ish min, you should have a pretty well rehydrated slurry.

I only have about 5 min if actual effort into it

That's what I do. I start the rehydration process when I put the immersion heater in the kettle. I get a big foamy yeast pitch in that 30-45 min with great fermentation.

I followed the original recipe to the T. Had a little bit better efficency so its just over 6%. This is a great recipe! one of the easiest drinking browns I've ever had.

image.jpg

Just brewed this with safale s05. Looked great, dark amber, and definitely tasted promising!

This recipe was a big hit at a Halloween party we had last weekend. I served this alongside a Cream Ale and a Pale Ale and those who liked maltier beers were very happy with the Brown.

Nothing much to add other than another recommendation for the recipe ;)

Just got done whirlpooling the original recipe. Came out with 1.057 O.G. Going to ferment at 65 degrees for 4 days, then ramp it up to 67 degrees for 2 more weeks. Looking forward to this one as the first beer I ever brewed, 22 years ago, was a Nut Brown Ale. I don't recall ever brewing another. Can not wait to try this one.

Hey everyone,

First off, thanks Lil' Sparky for the recipe.

Normally I wouldn't be concerned, in fact, I'd be super excited, but I planned on using this recipe in an upcoming local competition and my gravity, with 15 minutes left to boil, is at 1.079. I followed this recipe with a slight modification by adding 1/2lb Marris Otter. According to BeerSmith my efficiency was 85%. My pre-boil gravity was 1.048, but after 2nd and 3rd runnings I had to stop collecting wort once I reached 11Gal, otherwise I'd have to wait a few more hours for boil off to get to 6Gal. By the time the boil is done my OG could be around 1.084, with an ABV of nearly 9%! Way above the BJCP guidelines for an English Brown. I hadn't planned on this and only have a starter for 1 batch, so cutting with H2O is a no go.

I may have to do a different batch for the competition, but this batch might just have to be used for pure consumption...

EDIT:

I have no idea how I fouled this up, but once I chilled the wort I checked the gravity.... and it was 1.062! All I can say is WTH. I checked, double-checked, triple-checked, and checked again, and while I was boiling the gravity kept reading 1.079 on my refractometer. I use it every time I'm brewing without fail, but for whatever reason this day was different. Anyway, although it's higher than I had hoped I think I might be able to make the competition after all.

I was wondering if anyone has made this recipe using NeoBrittannia Wyeast as an alternative to Nottingham. I have both and was wondering if anyone could chime in with their results.

I will try this one as written next, its very similar to the last one I made. I was making a chestnut brown and was just a little bit short of malt so I threw in a little ( half pound) of oatmeal. Yours has more oats yet....

Bottled! After three weeks in primary fermenter, the hard part begins: waiting yet another while :(

Thank you very much for posting this recipe. I browsed several before deciding to use yours for my first AG brew. I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about the process and my equipment while researching. My AG batch came in with 71 or 72% efficiency. Fermentation within 12 hours and some very happy yeasties provided me with the first opportunity to use a blow off tube. I will post when I bottle.

Thanks again for the recipe!

I brewed this on Sunday 11/16. 10th AG BIAB batch. Brewday wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I made some mistakes and almost dumped it before boiling it. After mashing, I measured the gravity and it was 1015!!! I was pissed and almost jumped ship and threw it all out. I came to my senses and STIRRED the wort in the boil pot and then re-measured it. Pre boil gravity was 1038, which was much better. I sparged this time (for the first time) and ended up with too much pre boil volume which meant that I had to boil this batch for about one hour and 45 minutes. Anyway, I got through it and OG seems close enough. Efficiency showed to be 63%. I brewed the LH Milk Stout Clone the next day and that went much better.

OG - 1053

2.5 gallon batch

5lb 2 row
8oz Caramel/Crystal 60L
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Victory Malt
2oz Chocolate Malt
.5oz Fuggles (60 min)
.5oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
Notty

I'm happy with this Northern Brown Ale, but I think that I will lower the percentage of Chocolate Malt to lighten the color a bit. It's a nicely balanced, medium-bodied ale with a dry finish, and caramel, toasted and nutty notes over the pale ale base.

1800210_680271645403323_7676390914968489168_n.jpg

Im popping a bottle of this (my third homebrew ever) this friday, as i welcome my family over for supper.

Fermented 3 weeks, bottled for 2 1/2 weeks. Crossing my fingers!

I brewed this recipe right around this time last year, so it seems fitting to do it again :D
I made a few changes this time. LHBS was out of Fuggle so I just went with EKG for bittering. I also added some brown sugar and molasses at flameout, and ended with an OG of 1067...hopefully that isn't too high. My efficiency has improved since the last time I brewed this and I failed to compensate with the adjuncts.

Thanks for the recipe Sparky! :mug:

Brewed this one a couple of months ago. Put it in the secondary over bourbon-soaked toasted oak cubes for four weeks. Turned out really well and has been a huge hit with beer-drinking friends and family.
Thanks for the recipe.

Neutron

Brewed this one a couple of months ago. Put it in the secondary over bourbon-soaked toasted oak cubes for four weeks. Turned out really well and has been a huge hit with beer-drinking
friends and family.
Thanks for the recipe.

Neutron

How many ounces of oak did you use ? I have been thinking about adding oak and a vanilla bean.

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

Brewed this one a couple of months ago. Put it in the secondary over bourbon-soaked toasted oak cubes for four weeks. Turned out really well and has been a huge hit with beer-drinking
friends and family.
Thanks for the recipe.

Neutron

May I ask how many ounces of oak did you use ? I have been thinking about adding oak and a vanilla bean.

I went with about 5oz of medium toast French oak that I soaked in Jim Beam along with 3 split/scraped vanilla beans for about 5 weeks prior to adding them to the secondary. Drinking one right now. Good stuff. Easily one of my best brews.

Neutron

Brewed a moose drool clone (is that considered a nut brown?) as my very first beer brewing experience, and it turned out good. Just done two weeks fermenting, and it tastes a bit flat, with a few odd flavours. OG was 1.059, with FG of 1.012.

Question: should I leave it in primary for a week or two to let the yeast continue to clean up flavours etc? Or should I rack to secondary (corny keg) for further conditioning? I am inclined to leave in primary for at lease a week more as that is where the yeast are (right??) as they are the ones that do the conditioning? Any suggestions? My plan is to keg the batch In two more weeks, and force-carb for a week before drinking (if I can hold off that long!!!)

Brewed a moose drool clone (is that considered a nut brown?) as my very first beer brewing experience, and it turned out good. Just done two weeks fermenting, and it tastes a bit flat, with a few odd flavours. OG was 1.059, with FG of 1.012.

Question: should I leave it in primary for a week or two to let the yeast continue to clean up flavours etc? Or should I rack to secondary (corny keg) for further conditioning? I am inclined to leave in primary for at lease a week more as that is where the yeast are (right??) as they are the ones that do the conditioning? Any suggestions? My plan is to keg the batch In two more weeks, and force-carb for a week before drinking (if I can hold off that long!!!)

With all my recent ales I've stopped bothering with a secondary. It seems that recent thinking is that it's not necessary, at least from what I've read on it (John Palmer). It's also easier to not have to bother with a secondary. :) I put the primary in my wine fridge with the setting at the highest it will go, 65 degrees, and let ferment for two weeks. I bring them upstairs for the final week so that the yeast can do some clean up at a higher temp. I'm no expert, but this has been working for me. Maybe I'm completely right and maybe I'm completely wrong, but I can tell you that my Left Hand Milk Stout Clone is the best beer I have ever made. I've also switched to All Grain, which definitely helps the taste of home-brew, at least from the batches that I have made.

When using Nottingham yest to make this beer, what temperature do you all ferment at? I see that phyllobeddo said he goes with 65 for 2 weeks then room temp for a week. I've seen comments that nottingham should be fermented at a low temp to avoid off-flavors.

I made this last year and entered it into a competition. Two of the judges commented on estery or fruity flavors. I didn't have a fermentation chamber then but I do now so I want to get it right this time. I was thinking of going with 64* for 3 weeks.

When using Nottingham yest to make this beer, what temperature do you all ferment at? I see that phyllobeddo said he goes with 65 for 2 weeks then room temp for a week. I've seen comments that nottingham should be fermented at a low temp to avoid off-flavors.

I made this last year and entered it into a competition. Two of the judges commented on estery or fruity flavors. I didn't have a fermentation chamber then but I do now so I want to get it right this time. I was thinking of going with 64* for 3 weeks.

With the wine fridge set to 65 degrees, the fermometer strip on my Better Bottles usually show 61 degrees. I have used Notty for most of the 12 batches that I have made this year and I have not noticed any off flavors from them. 64 degrees sounds like a good idea to me. Notty's range is 57 to 70 and will supposedly tolerate 54 degrees. You can always start at 64 and work your way down if you don't get what you like. I would like to have an STC temp control setup, but the wine fridge does pretty good with no extra investment.

I went with about 5oz of medium toast French oak that I soaked in Jim Beam along with 3 split/scraped vanilla beans for about 5 weeks prior to adding them to the secondary.
Drinking one right now. Good stuff.
Easily one of my best brews.

Neutron

Thanks. I will be trying that next. Did you ever try less soaking time? Is there an advantage to a longer soak? I have never done this.

If you like nut browns, you'll love this one!

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.21 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.69 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

** Based on 70% brewhouse efficiency

Just tapped this keg yesterday. Very please with the result

Nutty, smooth, foamy head with lacing all the way, Deep amber-brown color.
Malty with a slight residual sweetness

Thanks to Lil Sparky for sharing his creation.

Changed the yeast to WYeast NB1945, fermented at the cooler end of this strain's range.

Reduced the grain bill to account for projected efficiency higher than the recipe's 70%

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. I brewed this bad boy today and can't wait to keg it. It smelled amazing!

Just finished brewing this and hit all the numbers. I had to sub the East Kent for US Goldings. Thanks for the recipe. I hope mine looks like the photos above.

I overshot my numbers on this beer and it turned into an 8.3% beast of a brown. I really liked it when it was fresh but just opened the last bomber I had after about six months age and it was fantastic! All the bold flavors of this brown melded together into an amazing beer.

I wish you all luck in finding a way to hold onto a few of these and age it for a bit :0) cheers!

Interested in trying this, but as a partial mash can you substitute DME for the Pale Malt? Also what exactly are flaked oats? I am assuming they are different than the rolled oats you get at the grocer. Sorry for the basic and silly question, this is all still new to me.

Latest posts

Back