Novalager Yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christoffhawkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have only being brewing for around a year. I have brewed a couple of Lagers (all grain) and they turned out alright. I have just brewed a German pilsner with Novalager yeast. The fermentation was finished in 7 days at 14.0c does anyone use this yeast as I have kegged mine and force carbonated it and its come out ok but still a bit cloudy. Should I cold crash and conditioning the same way as standard lager or treat it as an ale for conditioning etc.

6C66E359-CEC3-40F7-9118-6103252A712D.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Not many people can answer your questions yet; this is a brand new yeast strain, nothing else like it on the planet. YOU are a pioneer. Let us know how it turns out after a few more weeks. How does it taste?
It tastes great it’s only 10 day’s old needs more time to clear.
6C66E359-CEC3-40F7-9118-6103252A712D.jpeg

Hey @christoffhawkins, I just brewed a very basic german-style lager recipe recently with this yeast around the same temp as you. I'm about to keg it and will post an initial impression in a couple weeks. I believe the idea behind this strain is that it produces no sulfur and very little diacetly. Ideally, you should be able to condition it more like an ale with results more like a lager.

You are definitely on the bleeding edge, here. Check our these two posts below where the strain is being discussed and perhaps post your thoughts there. I'm sure your experiences and your opinion would be valued, especially as that beer clears up further! You can also find some links there with additional information about what makes this yeast different and how it can be expected to perform.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lalbrew-novalager.703173/page-2
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/page-48
And definitely welcome to the forum! Your first post is about a German pils with an experimental yeast?!! It's good to have you :mug:

Hey @christoffhawkins, I just brewed a very basic german-style lager recipe recently with this yeast around the same temp as you. I'm about to keg it and will post an initial impression in a couple weeks. I believe the idea behind this strain is that it produces no sulfur and very little diacetly. Ideally, you should be able to condition it more like an ale with results more like a lager.

You are definitely on the bleeding edge, here. Check our these two posts below where the strain is being discussed and perhaps post your thoughts there. I'm sure your experiences and your opinion would be valued, especially as that beer clears up further! You can also find some links there with additional information about what makes this yeast different and how it can be expected to perform.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lalbrew-novalager.703173/page-2
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/page-48
And definitely welcome to the forum! Your first post is about a German pils with an experimental yeast?!! It's good to have you :mug:
The Numbers came out bang on OG1.046 FG1.010. The haze is clearing slowly but it tastes great already. The Hersbrucker hops could be stronger. They may come through with age. I think my main problem is I kegged from fermenter to Corny and with the dip tube going to the bottom I have to wait for the trub to settle.

Should I cold crash and conditioning the same way as standard lager or treat it as an ale for conditioning etc.
Are you able to keep your keg cold? If you have room in your kegerator, I would leave it in there and give it time to settle. I would do the same thing for an ale.

I hope to give this yeast a try soon for the first time myself. The specs from Lallemand show the flocculation as Medium (I think, less flocculant than Diamond), so I would not be surprised if it takes a few weeks to drop crystal clear.

The Numbers came out bang on OG1.046 FG1.010. The haze is clearing slowly but it tastes great already. The Hersbrucker hops could be stronger. They may come through with age. I think my main problem is I kegged from fermenter to Corny and with the dip tube going to the bottom I have to wait for the trub to settle.
Fantastic! Mine went from 1.050 to 1.009. I'm soft crashing it now and will probably keg tomorrow night when I have the free time. Good choice with the Hersbrucker. I bet they come through a little more once the beer settles out. Feel free to post your recipe if you want and we can let you know any thoughts.

@CascadesBrewer makes a good point above. I was assuming if you had it kegged and carbed that it was probably cold. If not then I would do my best to get it in the kegerator. I would do the same for an ale or lager or it'll just take forever to settle. I'm planning to fine mine once it's in the keg and then tap it after a couple weeks of conditioning to see if Lallemand's claims hold true. Yours will likely take a few weeks, like Cascades mentioned, and it will also probably continue to get better!

Are you able to keep your keg cold? If you have room in your kegerator, I would leave it in there and give it time to settle. I would do the same thing for an ale.

I hope to give this yeast a try soon for the first time myself. The specs from Lallemand show the flocculation as Medium (I think, less flocculant than Diamond), so I would not be surprised if it takes a few weeks to drop crysta hi

I hope to give this yeast a try soon for the first time myself. The specs from Lallemand show the flocculation as Medium (I think, less flocculant than Diamond), so I would not be surprised if it takes a few weeks to drop crystal clear.
I have a 3 keg Mangrove Jack fridge. I have it in there but I have a Citra ale I made at the same time which has turned out crystal clear and tastes great. Currently at 7.0c. So I hope the Lager turns out ok. Thanks for the input.

Fantastic! Mine went from 1.050 to 1.009. I'm soft crashing it now and will probably keg tomorrow night when I have the free time. Good choice with the Hersbrucker. I bet they come through a little more once the beer settles out. Feel free to post your recipe if you want and we can let you know any thoughts.

@CascadesBrewer makes a good point above. I was assuming if you had it kegged and carbed that it was probably cold. If not then I would do my best to get it in the kegerator. I would do the same for an ale or lager or it'll just take forever to settle. I'm planning to fine mine once it's in the keg and then tap it after a couple weeks of conditioning to see if Lallemand's claims hold true. Yours will likely take a few weeks, like Cascades mentioned, and it will also probably continue to get better!
Hi guys this is the recipe I brewed with the Novalager. Please advise me on what you think.

Attachments

• Bavarian Pilsner.pdf
    863.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi guys this is the recipe I brewed with the Novalager. Please advise me on what you think.
Looks like a recipe that will make a fine beer. I am not sure how "traditional" 9% wheat malt is in a "Bavarian Pilsner." Wheat can add a little bit of haze to a beer, but I use about 9% in my American IPA recipe and it drops clear after a few weeks in the keg.

Thanks for sharing! I would say much the same as Cascades. I think that looks like a solid recipe. He's right that the wheat could cause it to clear a little slower and maybe isn't traditional if you care about that. I have beers with 20% wheat that drop crystal clear after a few weeks, though. Regardless of using wheat, the beer will take some time to clear. If you've got it in there for head retention then you might be surprised how well the beer would turn out with just pils/lager malt.

I'll give a few other thoughts but these are just preferences/opinions that you might consider if you want to make changes. Take them with a grain of salt and listen to your taste buds :)
  • You could add some later hops if you want. A reasonable 10, 5, or flameout addition shouldn't drown out the malt flavor. With only one 30 min addition the hop profile will be nice, but probably pretty subtle. I do a decent late addition and hopstand on my Czech pils, but that's just personal preference. You could also increase the IBU some depending on your taste.Tastes differ but I love a firmly bitter pils.
  • You could probably cut down the mash to 60 mins if you want, unless you find the 90 mins is getting you a few more points or increased fermentability. With the 220v Grainfather you could also explore something like a hochkurz mash. It would be easy enough to do with your system and could improve fermentability and head retention. Plus, it's just fun to me. Your process is obviously working, though!
  • How's your water profile? Looks like you're using acid malt to adjust pH. Water for a pilsner is usually pretty neutral but I do add a little gypsum for the sulfate and calcium. It's still pretty modest at around 20 ppm of each. A little calcium could also help your yeast flocculate out, though. I also use campden tablets to neutralize the chlorine/chloramine in my water ever since I had a chlorophenol issue ruin a couple beers. If you're newer to this then maybe check your water report and keep that in mind. Any water preferences aside...chlorophenols are terrible.
Honestly, if you're nailing the process and enjoying the beer perfectly as is then don't think you have to change it. If you want to play around with it, though, then look into later hop additions and maybe think about adjusting water profile and bitterness. I would absolutely drink this beer, though :mug:

Thanks for sharing! I would say much the same as Cascades. I think that looks like a solid recipe. He's right that the wheat could cause it to clear a little slower and maybe isn't traditional if you care about that. I have beers with 20% wheat that drop crystal clear after a few weeks, though. Regardless of using wheat, the beer will take some time to clear. If you've got it in there for head retention then you might be surprised how well the beer would turn out with just pils/lager malt.

I'll give a few other thoughts but these are just preferences/opinions that you might consider if you want to make changes. Take them with a grain of salt and listen to your taste buds :)
  • You could add some later hops if you want. A reasonable 10, 5, or flameout addition shouldn't drown out the malt flavor. With only one 30 min addition the hop profile will be nice, but probably pretty subtle. I do a decent late addition and hopstand on my Czech pils, but that's just personal preference. You could also increase the IBU some depending on your taste.Tastes differ but I love a firmly bitter pils.
  • You could probably cut down the mash to 60 mins if you want, unless you find the 90 mins is getting you a few more points or increased fermentability. With the 220v Grainfather you could also explore something like a hochkurz mash. It would be easy enough to do with your system and could improve fermentability and head retention. Plus, it's just fun to me. Your process is obviously working, though!
  • How's your water profile? Looks like you're using acid malt to adjust pH. Water for a pilsner is usually pretty neutral but I do add a little gypsum for the sulfate and calcium. It's still pretty modest at around 20 ppm of each. A little calcium could also help your yeast flocculate out, though. I also use campden tablets to neutralize the chlorine/chloramine in my water ever since I had a chlorophenol issue ruin a couple beers. If you're newer to this then maybe check your water report and keep that in mind. Any water preferences aside...chlorophenols are terrible.
Honestly, if you're nailing the process and enjoying the beer perfectly as is then don't think you have to change it. If you want to play around with it, though, then look into later hop additions and maybe think about adjusting water profile and bitterness. I would absolutely drink this beer, though :mug:

Hi I did add wheat for head retention. Thanks for the help info on water additions. I have sent a water sample to the lab for analysis. I made this beer once before and it turned out great. I didn’t want to change the brew because I used the Novalager yeast and wanted to see if it turned out as good as the first time. Thanks for the advice. I will change the recipe next time. 🍻

I did add wheat for head retention
Yeah, I started out doing the same thing with wheat. Different people will have different thoughts on the matter but I think most would agree that you can still get good head retention without the wheat. Wheat can help with head retention and maybe it's the easiest way for you to do that. Just be aware that it also introduces other factors into the equation like higher protein content, more variability across wheat varieties, potential challenges to milling, etc. The higher protein can potentially cause chill haze, for example. Tinker with it and see what works for you. I like wheat, and I use it often, but other factors can come into play when you use it.

I have sent a water sample to the lab for analysis
That's great! It sounds like you're well ahead of things. Again, if the beer turned out great then maybe you don't have to change much. Chlorophenols weren't a problem for me for several brews. Maybe it was just a spike of chlorine in my water source but now I use campden each time to be safe. For other recipe changes...I would only make changes if you want to make changes. I tweak to see if I can improve something. When I really, really like a recipe I save it and brew it the same way. The more you learn the more variables you'll have at your disposal to change. I'm just glad you're enjoying!

I’m still learning about different yeast etc
Learning to taste is part of the journey. One way is to get a couple different versions of a similar style. See if you can find out the hops/yeast they use and start trying to pick out differences. Try your beer and start looking for flavors that relate to each component. For the hersbrucker I typically get some spicy, grassy, and definitely some fruity notes. The malt will contribute cracker, bread, etc. You might get some fruitiness or maybe light sulfur (think faint burnt match) from the yeast but you might not. Specific to the novalager yeast you might have some apple flavors or other low notes of fruit. The big question to ask is what's prominent in the beer, though? Is it mostly crackery, spicy, etc? If you're tasting predominantly bready and noble spice then maybe the yeast isn't contributing too much, for example.

Yeah, I started out doing the same thing with wheat. Different people will have different thoughts on the matter but I think most would agree that you can still get good head retention without the wheat. Wheat can help with head retention and maybe it's the easiest way for you to do that. Just be aware that it also introduces other factors into the equation like higher protein content, more variability across wheat varieties, potential challenges to milling, etc. The higher protein can potentially cause chill haze, for example. Tinker with it and see what works for you. I like wheat, and I use it often, but other factors can come into play when you use it.

That's great! It sounds like you're well ahead of things. Again, if the beer turned out great then maybe you don't have to change much. Chlorophenols weren't a problem for me for several brews. Maybe it was just a spike of chlorine in my water source but now I use campden each time to be safe. For other recipe changes...I would only make changes if you want to make changes. I tweak to see if I can improve something. When I really, really like a recipe I save it and brew it the same way. The more you learn the more variables you'll have at your disposal to change. I'm just glad you're enjoying!

Learning to taste is part of the journey. One way is to get a couple different versions of a similar style. See if you can find out the hops/yeast they use and start trying to pick out differences. Try your beer and start looking for flavors that relate to each component. For the hersbrucker I typically get some spicy, grassy, and definitely some fruity notes. The malt will contribute cracker, bread, etc. You might get some fruitiness or maybe light sulfur (think faint burnt match) from the yeast but you might not. Specific to the novalager yeast you might have some apple flavors or other low notes of fruit. The big question to ask is what's prominent in the beer, though? Is it mostly crackery, spicy, etc? If you're tasting predominantly bready and noble spice then maybe the yeast isn't contributing too much, for example.
Thanks for the advice I will definitely put this into practice. Another problem is identifying off flavours and what causes them. I have a Shipyard IPA clone on the go at the moment. I kegged it and an odd smell has appeared as the beer matured. It’s almost clear and the head is good. No taste of hops whatsoever. The beer is drinkable but there is something wrong with it. I’m not experienced enough yet.

No problem!

Another problem is identifying off flavours and what causes them. I have a Shipyard IPA clone on the go at the moment. I kegged it and an odd smell has appeared as the beer matured. It’s almost clear and the head is good. No taste of hops whatsoever. The beer is drinkable but there is something wrong with it.
For this you...honestly might get more help by re-posting in a separate thread to ask the question. We've strayed pretty far from the Novalager yeast topic so people won't even know to read this and give you any advice :) If you do that feel free to tag me and I can jump in to help, but other people will also be able to share their thoughts.

You'll get better at identifying off flavors as you become more experienced, though. I would recommend posting here to discuss it and also share your beer with local brewers to take advantage of their experience. It's the best way to learn. An IPA clone with no hop aroma but drinkable sounds like probably an oxidation problem to me. If it's a little sweet and almost cardboard-y flavored then almost certainly oxidation. It kills hoppy beers. I never made an IPA I was totally satisfied with until I started kegging and ironed out my processes. You'd need to do the same. Closed transfers, purging kegs, clearing CO2 lines of any residual O2. Any oxygen at all can be a killer.

Cheers! :mug:

I have only being brewing for around a year. I have brewed a couple of Lagers (all grain) and they turned out alright. I have just brewed a German pilsner with Novalager yeast. The fermentation was finished in 7 days at 14.0c does anyone use this yeast as I have kegged mine and force carbonated it and its come out ok but still a bit cloudy. Should I cold crash and conditioning the same way as standard lager or treat it as an ale for conditioning etc.
Well guys another 10 days and this Lager is turning out to be great. I don’t know that much about brewing Lager but I do know when it tastes good. I brewed the exact same recipe a few months ago and it took me eight weeks to get to this stage because This time I used Novalager and aN air stone to force carbonate. The hops are now coming through and the head looks good. I must admit the head retention is not lasitng but it still tastes and feels like the sas is in there. Maybe next batch I will go back to sugar for the carbonation.

Attachments

• 5C736CCA-673D-4C30-A16D-E6E6D8B2216B.jpeg
    5C736CCA-673D-4C30-A16D-E6E6D8B2216B.jpeg
    929.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1226FBD2-2C6E-41E3-8D19-948B2F850D3D.jpeg
    1226FBD2-2C6E-41E3-8D19-948B2F850D3D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 26591FF1-908E-48E5-A564-0A522A4BE039.jpeg
    26591FF1-908E-48E5-A564-0A522A4BE039.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8882.MOV
    15.4 MB
I'm going to give this yeast a try on a Munich Helles. I've been using Lutra Kveik Yeast at 68f on pseudo lagers and been having pretty good results, 7 days grain to glass out of a corny keg. I'm hoping this yeast will be a step up from kveik on a speedy made beer. Hoping to hear some more reviews from those who have already used it.

DMF

I'm going to give this yeast a try on a Munich Helles. I've been using Lutra Kveik Yeast at 68f on pseudo lagers and been having pretty good results, 7 days grain to glass out of a corny keg. I'm hoping this yeast will be a step up from kveik on a speedy made beer. Hoping to hear some more reviews from those who have already used it.
Great to hear! Please let us know your experience too. I think many of us are curious about what patterns we will see with this yeast as more people brew with it. I brewed a test batch with it and posted in the warm fermented lager thread. Here is the most informative post I put over there. It also links to my original post with some recipe info and everything. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/post-10226782
@seatazzz also brewed a batch with seemingly good results. Here's a link to her first post about it. You can scroll down from there and she gives more info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/post-10240068
@CascadesBrewer, who is in this thread, also brewed a WC pils with it. I don't think I've seen an update on how that beer went but I'm hopeful he'll post one when he has time, or link us to it if he already updated :) Here is a post he had in the "Who's Brewing This Weekend" thread with some more info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/so-whos-brewing-this-weekend.115866/post-10228179
Cheers! :mug:

*EDIT* --- As someone that has done plenty of clean ferments with Lutra kveik as well IMO the Novalager produces a much more lager-like beer. I enjoy Lutra just fine but I think this yeast has a good chance of giving you more of the properties you want for something like a Munich Helles. Good luck!

@CascadesBrewer, who is in this thread, also brewed a WC pils with it. I don't think I've seen an update on how that beer went but I'm hopeful he'll post one when he has time, or link us to it if he already updated :) Here is a post he had in the "Who's Brewing This Weekend" thread with some more info.
Cut and paste a recent reply I posted on a Reddit comment recent:

Good question ["How did the beer turn out?"]. I am in The Bru Club (online club), and a bunch of club members got packs of NovaLager. Many did split batches vs Diamond, and at least one did vs 34/70. A lot of people report NovaLager coming in a bit fruity. There were a range of temps used.

My beer is a very enjoyable beer, but it does not have a crisp "lager" type character. It might be the yeast, it might be due to fermenting warm (but under pressure), or it might be the recipe. The grain bill had some Honey Malt and Malted Wheat, and the beer was hopped with Citra and Mosaic. I put it into a competition as an American Blonde Ale (judging is this weekend).

I have made some similar beers that were 100% Pilsner malt, fermented with 34/70 at 62F. Those batches had that crisp and clean lager character, that let the hop character shine.

The NovaLager beer had a bit of a haze that was steady for about 3 weeks, then seemed to drop crystal clear overnight one day. No finings, just in a keg in my beer fridge.

Fermenting and serving out of the keg (with a floating dip tube) sure made "packaging" day easy! I just had to move the keg into the fridge and hook up CO2.

Edit: a recent pic:

20230321_192137.jpg

Good question ["How did the beer turn out?"]. I am in The Bru Club (online club), and a bunch of club members got packs of NovaLager. Many did split batches vs Diamond, and at least one did vs 34/70. A lot of people report NovaLager coming in a bit fruity. There were a range of temps used.

My beer is a very enjoyable beer, but it does not have a crisp "lager" type character. It might be the yeast, it might be due to fermenting warm (but under pressure), or it might be the recipe. The grain bill had some Honey Malt and Malted Wheat, and the beer was hopped with Citra and Mosaic. I put it into a competition as an American Blonde Ale (judging is this weekend).

I have made some similar beers that were 100% Pilsner malt, fermented with 34/70 at 62F. Those batches had that crisp and clean lager character, that let the hop character shine.

The NovaLager beer had a bit of a haze that was steady for about 3 weeks, then seemed to drop crystal clear overnight one day. No finings, just in a keg in my beer fridge.

Fermenting and serving out of the keg (with a floating dip tube) sure made "packaging" day easy! I just had to move the keg into the fridge and hook up CO2.
Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear that several members of the club are reporting back fruity notes even across a range of temps. In a straight clean lager I found the esters noticeable but not unpleasant. It does have a nice crispness, though. I would use the yeast again but it most likely will not become a go-to for me. I can also get a pretty crisp, clean lager at 62F with 34/70, which is hard to beat. I can't speak to the pressure fermentation side but I could see those malt additions making it feel less crisp. Regardless, it sounds delicious!

It seems like it's slow to clear for all of us so far. I fined mine and it was still stubborn to drop out. After it was in the keg for two weeks I left town for a couple weeks and when I came back it was crystal clear, though.

Also, I really need to try fermenting straight in the keg! That packaging does sound easy and I would really like to start keg conditioning more of my beers.

Thanks, again, for the reply and good luck in that competition :mug:

That's good to hear that several members of the club are reporting back fruity notes even across a range of temps.
I would note that the club was mostly brewing versions of a West Coast Pilsner on a framework that suggested Citra and Mosaic hops. The rep from Lallemand said that NovaLager really shined in the trendy "hoppy lager" styles, which pushed it that way. I would have to use NovaLager in a more traditional Pilsner style recipe to really pick out the impact. It is something I would like to do, but there are a few dozen things I would like to brew over the next few months.
I can also get a pretty crisp, clean lager at 62F with 34/70, which is hard to beat.
Yeah, I think NovaLager vs W-34/70 head to head would be the best comparison. That seems to be the space where NovaLager is targeting, more into the warm-ish fermented lager space where W-34/70 has a good reputation. I suspect if you are fermenting at 50F, there are better options than NovaLager...but I could be wrong.

I just kegged my second batch using Novalager; this one was fermented with the slurry from the first batch. One thing I noticed on this one was acetaldehyde after it had been in the fermenter for 6 days (and I was thinking about starting to crash it). I warmed it up to 68 for three days then crashed for a day to 45, and kegged it this morning. It's still pretty cloudy, and not quite carbonated yet (had two kegs kick on me the last two days so I'm rushing things a bit). Acetaldehyde all gone, just a nice flavorful beer with none of the sulfur notes that traditional lager yeasts tend to leave, sometimes for several days after kegging. I'm not getting anything fruity out of it.

I just used this yeast on a kolsch recipe since it was next on my list. Started with an OG of 1.050 and after 7 days 1.012. Fermented at 64f. Took a slight taste out of a transfer tube after a closed transfer into a corny keg. It seemed to taste alright but have never been too fond of the taste of warm beer so couldn't really tell. Will cold crash then taste again. I may want to cold condition for a while since I'm sure it will benefit from it . Will update on my results......

DMF

I still have three fresh packets of Novalager from my first order. Haven't used it lately; it's a great concept, but I just couldn't get the beers to clear until the keg was nearly empty, even with a long cold crash and gelatin in the keg. The beers themselves (except for the one that had some acetaldehyde issues) turn out pretty good, but I've done WF lagers with other lager yeasts that put them to shame. I like my lagers to have a bit of 'bite' to them; the Novalager doesn't really provide that. The novalager beers are just that; beer, with no real distinguishing characteristics from the yeast, that lager yeast is supposed to provide. I wouldn't say exactly bland, just not crisp like a traditional lager yeast. YMMV.

After about 8 days from grain to glass the beer was quite drinkable but I'm sure it will be much better with some age. Still not sure if Novalager will be replacing my go-to Lutra Kveik yeast yet. Just have to wait and see.

DMF

I just cold crashed a NZ pilsner I made using this yeast, was quick and the gravity went from ~1.050-1.014 in about 5-6 days,m I kept it under about 5psi. Pitched at 16c and lowerd to 14.5c, let it ride up to 18c after day 3. its a touch cloudy still but Il fine with gelatin soon - only issue is it has quite a strong sulphur smell, I pitched 1 pack into 29L - maybe 2 would have been better, or perhaps the pressure was not a good idea.

Either way Im wondering if I can do a closed transfer to keg with a strip of copper wire in the transfer hose? I thought this yeast was Low sulphur!

I just cold crashed a NZ pilsner I made using this yeast, was quick and the gravity went from ~1.050-1.014 in about 5-6 days,m I kept it under about 5psi. Pitched at 16c and lowerd to 14.5c, let it ride up to 18c after day 3. its a touch cloudy still but Il fine with gelatin soon - only issue is it has quite a strong sulphur smell, I pitched 1 pack into 29L - maybe 2 would have been better, or perhaps the pressure was not a good idea.

Either way Im wondering if I can do a closed transfer to keg with a strip of copper wire in the transfer hose? I thought this yeast was Low sulphur!
I am not sure about the copper wire trick, it might work...but the "low sulphur" might be more of a misleading marketing claim than anything. The description actually says:

"This strain is a low VDK/diacetyl producer and utilizes patented technology from the University of California Davis (USA) that inhibits the production of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) off-flavors"

I fermented my batch in a keg at 15 PSI and also served from that keg. I had a noticeable sulfur character. On a webinar with a rep from Lallemand, he said that the yeast does not produce the stinky rotten egg of Hydrogen Sulfide, but that it does produce Sulfur Dioxide (which is more the smell of a lit match). Is Hydrogen Sulfide really an issue with other brewing yeast?

I vented my keg several times over the first week, and that plus a little aging got rid of the Sulfur (Sulfur Dioxide?) characters.

I am not sure about the copper wire trick, it might work...but the "low sulphur" might be more of a misleading marketing claim than anything. The description actually says:

"This strain is a low VDK/diacetyl producer and utilizes patented technology from the University of California Davis (USA) that inhibits the production of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) off-flavors"

I fermented my batch in a keg at 15 PSI and also served from that keg. I had a noticeable sulfur character. On a webinar with a rep from Lallemand, he said that the yeast does not produce the stinky rotten egg of Hydrogen Sulfide, but that it does produce Sulfur Dioxide (which is more the smell of a lit match). Is Hydrogen Sulfide really an issue with other brewing yeast?

I vented my keg several times over the first week, and that plus a little aging got rid of the Sulfur (Sulfur Dioxide?) characters.
Ah, perhaps its that, I will be sure to let it age and vent the keg often, tasting is difficult right now. Its hard to tell weather its rotton egg or matches im smelling but perhaps the fruitiness of the NZ hops is throwing me off

Last edited:
After 14 days from grain to glass the beer is excellent. It poured pretty clear using a float tube and was praised by all who sampled it last night. It tasted very clean and crisp. I think given a few more days to a week, it is every bit if not better than Lutra Kveik for a lager type beer. Eventhough it was used on a Kolsch recipe the flavors came out crystal clear and balanced. This beer will be gone in no time!

I'm quite impressed!

DMF

Edit: a recent pic:

View attachment 816468
Regarding the reports of fruitiness, the West Coast Pils style guidelines for this AvgBrü stipulated a fair amount of fruity American hops. Nearly everyone who did a split batch of Novalager and Diamond/34-70 reported much greater hop expression in the Novalager batch. That was my experience as well. Also, it is reported that Novalager is capable of biotransformation, which could create noticeably fruity character. So, WCP isn't a style where we can draw meaningful conclusions on subtle esters which would be much more noticable in a simple classic lager. That said, tasting panels have noted a slight red fruit character, IIRC.

I'm interested if anyone has recycled the Novalager I've done it twice and both times the beer has off flavours, fresh yeast is great can't complain about the results

I got sulfur in my only batch with Novalager yeast. Apparently it doesn't even have the capability to produce sulfur, so there's that lol.

I get sulfur on the nose but not in the flavor. Hoping it'll disappear with lagering.

Some online buddies of mine have reported excellent results with NovaLager at traditional lager fermentation temps (50F to 55F), saying they get very fast ferments with clean flavors. I am curious where the sweet spot is for NovaLager. 50F? 60F? 70F? It might be a versatile house strain for making a mix of lager and ale styles.

Some online buddies of mine have reported excellent results with NovaLager at traditional lager fermentation temps (50F to 55F), saying they get very fast ferments with clean flavors. I am curious where the sweet spot is for NovaLager. 50F? 60F? 70F? It might be a versatile house strain for making a mix of lager and ale styles.
I did 52F for 3 days, then 55F for 2 days, then 62F to finish. I kegged on day 14 because I needed a fermenter for a brew day. Probably could have used an extra week or so for cleanup, but their website says full fermentation in 6-7 days. So....

I've been fermenting at 66f then kegging after day 5. 1.051 to1.011. I cold crash for a few days. Having excellent results. Perfect for my kolsch recipe. No sulphur but have noticed some fruity esters.

DMF

Well guys another 10 days and this Lager is turning out to be great. I don’t know that much about brewing Lager but I do know when it tastes good. I brewed the exact same recipe a few months ago and it took me eight weeks to get to this stage because This time I used Novalager and aN air stone to force carbonate. The hops are now coming through and the head looks good. I must admit the head retention is not lasitng but it still tastes and feels like the sas is in there. Maybe next batch I will go back to sugar for the carbonation.

It is said that acid malt @2% and above will help clear lagers with wheat, given time.
I've done this and within 3 or 4 weeks the beer was awesome clarity.

Latest posts

Back