nottingham flecks stuck to the bottle walls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
Is this normal behaviour with nottingham? to have it stuck in tiny flecks to the walls of the bottle 4 weeks after it goes into the bottles for conditioning?

I used to use Nottingham a lot and never had it stick to the sides of the bottles. I wonder if it could be contamination. What does it taste like?

I've had us05 do that with no ill effects. Not usually after 4 weeks though. If you swirl the bottle does it fall to the bottom?

If I swirl it, it does shake loose, and eventually will settle. I've had wierd yeast balls at the bottom of us-05 before. Almost as if it can't settle until it clumps with enough yeast to be heavy enough to drop out.

I usually use s-04 or ec-1118, and those suckers flocc like nobodies business.

yeah I think I'll have to swirl them all and then let them settle.

Thanks.

I used to get that build-up happening after cycling the bottles a few times, but leaving them sit in Oxiclean before reuse put a stop to it.

I've had this with French Saison before with no problems. Somebody on another forum told me they thought it was caused by protein as well as the yeast and that a longer or more vigorous boil might help. It seems to happen to me more with beers that have other cereal grains like wheat, spelt or oats. I'm going to try this with my next brew to see if it works.

I just leave it be although it means I have to give the bottles a real good scrubbing with a brush when I clean them.

Calcium Oxalate build-up maybe. Sodium Percarbonate in hot water lifts that stuff off really well. Fun to watch.

taste was fine, they settled pretty well after the spin. No gushing, no off tastes. I do need to use more ginger next time.

Back