not enough star san in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor310

Reaction score
I'm thinking i hosed this batch of beer. I was on my phone looking at all of the conversion formulas for star san and i ended up using 1.5 ML for 1 gallon of water in my fermenter bucket. I WAY overdiluted it, and so it probably won't end up sanitizing much of anything. :(

Lesson learned. I brewed this batch last night, and so it will take 3 weeks to see the damage.

You used 1/4 of what you needed. I would let it go. If you pitched right away and the yeast get going quickly they might overpower any contamination.

Watch for any fuzzy or stringy formation on the surface of the beer. That would not be a good sign.

The proper ratio is 1 oz. in 5 gallons. So 1/5 ounce in a gallon.

Good luck!

You should be fine. I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't even use a sanitizer my first 12 batches. It wasn't until I discovered this forum that started sanitizing. Knock on wood, I've never had an infection.

On the plus side it was a brand new bucket I got a few days before. I rinsed it before the star San as well.

You'll be fine. Star San is just for sanitizing, if it was thouroughly cleaned before sanitizing, you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Latest posts

Back