New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fair to say that while I have seen cold break in the wort as it was boiling, I have never seen large clumps of it in the the kettle after chilling.
Technically the stuff you see during the boil is hot break. I should've taken a picture Sunday when I was cooling my wort. I got some nice cold break, looked quite disgusting actually haha. Almost like an alien brain floating in the middle of my wort. I called my wife over and made her look. It only happens when I let it sit and cool in the sink undisturbed for hours though.

I am going to try my hand at a Strawberry Milkshake. I'd like some suggestions on hopping. I have Galaxy, Sabro, Citra, Azacca, Simcoe, CTZ, Mosaic, Amarillo and Centenial available. Hop combination suggestions? I'm aiming for 3 gallons in the fermentor and plan to add 3 lbs of strawberries after fermentation. Add dryhops with strawberries?
Mosaic citra and about 30% of the bill being sabro. I’d add the fruit as primary fermentation starts to slow and wait to dryhop until the fruit has completely fermented out.

Are you using lactose and Vanilla as well?

Technically the stuff you see during the boil is hot break. I should've taken a picture Sunday when I was cooling my wort. I got some nice cold break, looked quite disgusting actually haha. Almost like an alien brain floating in the middle of my wort. I called my wife over and made her look. It only happens when I let it sit and cool in the sink undisturbed for hours though.

Oh, right. What is the foam floating on top called? I tend to skim it off, though I know some folks don't.

Very interesting! I have never heard of anyone doing your process with the overnight wort rest, though I have heard of people leaving a lot of hops/trub/wort in the bottom of the kettle.

Let me see if I understand: You boil your wort, chill it, then let it sit in the kettle overnight, and then drain to the fermenter?

I do chill in the kettle with a regular copper immersion chiller. It's fair to say that while I have seen cold break in the wort as it was boiling, I have never seen large clumps of it in the the kettle after chilling.
Yes. When the wort is first coming to a boil both floating and suspended hot break occurs. I skim the floating hot break until the boil starts. The hot break is denatured proteins and the like and does not dissolve back into the wort when cooled. Cold break is material that is only soluble in hot wort. Chilling hot wort quickly is suppose to make a difference at least in how quickly it clumps and settles out. If you whirlpool your cooled wort and let it settle, you will have a cone in the middle of the kettle containing both hot and cold break, and hops. BTW I got rid of the plate chiller and hop basket. I find adding the hops directly into boil much simpler and the Kegco CFC is impervious to hops unlike the Therminator nightmare.

Yes. When the wort is first coming to a boil both floating and suspended hot break occurs. I skim the floating hot break until the boil starts. The hot break is denatured proteins and the like and does not dissolve back into the wort when cooled. Cold break is material that is only soluble in hot wort. Chilling hot wort quickly is suppose to make a difference at least in how quickly it clumps and settles out. If you whirlpool your cooled wort and let it settle, you will have a cone in the middle of the kettle containing both hot and cold break, and hops. BTW I got rid of the plate chiller and hop basket. I find adding the hops directly into boil much simpler and the Kegco CFC is impervious to hops unlike the Therminator nightmare.

Yeah, I always read about the cone in the middle with hot and cold break and hops, but all I ever have is hops... It does sound like the "cold break" might be dissolved into my wort and I am transferring it into the fermenter. Now, whether or not that matters is a question...

For my last NEIPA, I did a 60-minute hop stand overall, with additions at 200, 175, and 160, then chilled with the immersion chiller, which takes another 10-15 minutes or so. So it's certainly not a rapid chill, which may explain why I don't get cold break in the kettle or anything other than hops...

Yeah, I always read about the cone in the middle with hot and cold break and hops, but all I ever have is hops... It does sound like the "cold break" might be dissolved into my wort and I am transferring it into the fermenter. Now, whether or not that matters is a question...

For my last NEIPA, I did a 60-minute hop stand overall, with additions at 200, 175, and 160, then chilled with the immersion chiller, which takes another 10-15 minutes or so. So it's certainly not a rapid chill, which may explain why I don't get cold break in the kettle or anything other than hops...
10-15 minutes sounds great. Give it a chance to form and settle.

Skim or not to skim? I actually do it because there is often a little grain floating in there too...
I’ve read somewhere that as long as you get a good hot break then it’s not necessary but it’s such a quick thing to do, I don’t see a reason not to skim it off. I have a large sifter I use and I can practically skim it all off in 3 passes around the kettle

Clear wort from the mash tun is very important. Vorlauf/recirculate your wort through the grain bed until its coming out clear. Boiling grain parts will add harsh bitterness to your beer.
It’s inevitable that a small portion of grain debris will make it into your boil kettle, even when creating a dense grain bed. This little bit of debris will not cause any noticeable bitterness, especially if your ph is in the proper range. The bigger risk of extracting tannins will occur during the sparge if you’re sparge ph is off

Does anyone have an up to date process? I’ve been reading through several dozen pages to no avail.

Bits I gathered:
Primary ferm
After d rest soft crash .. at 60?
After soft crash drop yeast?
After yeast is or isn’t dropped - up temp and dry hop x days?

Thanks in advance!!!

I’ve read somewhere that as long as you get a good hot break then it’s not necessary but it’s such a quick thing to do, I don’t see a reason not to skim it off. I have a large sifter I use and I can practically skim it all off in 3 passes around the kettle
You either skim it off or clean it off the kettle sides later. Besides it goes to my OCD.

Does anyone have an up to date process? I’ve been reading through several dozen pages to no avail.

Bits I gathered:
Primary ferm
After d rest soft crash .. at 60?
After soft crash drop yeast?
After yeast is or isn’t dropped - up temp and dry hop x days?

Thanks in advance!!!
There are some concepts that are agreed upon as best practice(limiting O2 as much as possible), but a lot of people do things a bit differently yet still find success so good luck trying to find one agreed upon process. I hard crash in my keezer under pressure when I want to drop the yeast before dry hop, but I've also dry hopped at the end of fermentation and spunded without crashing and made good beer. In the past I've raised the temp back up before dry hopping for a couple days but I'm starting to play around with dry hopping cooler and shorter especially for my beers with huge dry hops. I've read and heard on podcasts several times recently brewers suggesting doing that to get the desirable oils and leave the harsher undesirable stuff behind. I've been noticing alot of the commercial hazy IPAs I drink lately are a bit harsh and astringent.

What constitutes a "good hot break"? I hear it mentioned all over the place but nobody clarifies exactly what differentiates a good one from a not so good one

I am currently soft crashing at 60 and plan on dry hopping with 6oz. I was planing on dry hopping somewhere in the mid 60’s. I’m using Simcoe, Motueka, and Sabro. Any thought what temps work best?

I am currently soft crashing at 60 and plan on dry hopping with 6oz. I was planing on dry hopping somewhere in the mid 60’s. I’m using Simcoe, Motueka, and Sabro. Any thought what temps work best?

Did you see this recent Janish article? He's says it could make sense to dry hop cold for just two days or so before kegging/bottling. I was just listening to a podcast that said to dry hop warm to get the juicy flavors, though, so opinions vary!

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

I still think a small dh toward the end of active fermentation is the way to go, though many others have stopped adding during active. My FG target is 1.020, so I did a 2 ounce addition of Citra and Strata at 68 degrees at 1.025, which ended up being 3.5 days in. I plan to follow the Janish advice and do my final DH (6 ounces, Citra, Strata, Mosaic) while soft crashing to 60 two days before bottling. I am trying to reduce astringency/hop bite and of course increase flavor/aroma, so fingers crossed! (I need to bag my hops, so also trying to figure out quantities to compensate for lower extraction.)

Did you see this recent Janish article? He's says it could make sense to dry hop cold for just two days or so before kegging/bottling. I was just listening to a podcast that said to dry hop warm to get the juicy flavors, though, so opinions vary!

I still think a small dh toward the end of active fermentation is the way to go, though many others have stopped adding during active. My FG target is 1.020, so I did a 2 ounce addition of Citra and Strata at 68 degrees at 1.025, which ended up being 3.5 days in. I plan to follow the Janish advice and do my final DH (6 ounces, Citra, Strata, Mosaic) while soft crashing to 60 two days before bottling. I am trying to reduce astringency/hop bite and of course increase flavor/aroma, so fingers crossed! (I need to bag my hops, so also trying to figure out quantities to compensate for lower extraction.)

Interesting read! While it wasn’t mentioned in article it makes you question a double dry hop regimen because the first dry hop would be in the FV, generally twice as long as the second dry hop. Possibly supports a single dry hop regimen? The sensory testing results are always taken a little with a grain of salt imo because it is subjective though. DDH with the firstvlonger hop time and second round being shorter prior to kegging May be the best of both worlds. Interesting article though

Mosaic citra and about 30% of the bill being sabro. I’d add the fruit as primary fermentation starts to slow and wait to dryhop until the fruit has completely fermented out.

Are you using lactose and Vanilla as well?

Yes, vanilla and lactose. I only have a glass carboy and bottle condition. Buying all the kegging stuff is not an option for me. I have had good results dry hopping just once when fermentation is nearly finished so any oxygen introduced can be used up as fermentation finishes. I sugar prime each bottle and bottle directly from primary leaving minimal head room in the bottle. No racking or cold crashing. This minimizes oxygen exposure. I have good beer this way that lasts several weeks.

So I am thinking to add fruit when fermentation is near complete which should start another small fermentation cycle. I will then dry hop and add vanilla when the second fermentation slows down. Lactose will go in at the end of the boil.

Yes, vanilla and lactose. I only have a glass carboy and bottle condition. Buying all the kegging stuff is not an option for me. I have had good results dry hopping just once when fermentation is nearly finished so any oxygen introduced can be used up as fermentation finishes. I sugar prime each bottle and bottle directly from primary leaving minimal head room in the bottle. No racking or cold crashing. This minimizes oxygen exposure. I have good beer this way that lasts several weeks.

So I am thinking to add fruit when fermentation is near complete which should start another small fermentation cycle. I will then dry hop and add vanilla when the second fermentation slows down. Lactose will go in at the end of the boil.
Those are best practices with your current set up.

One thing you could think of if you’re making a vanilla tincture is to portion it into every bottle as you add your priming. I use vanilla very often in many different styles and have noticed that if it goes through fermentation it loses a lot of its character and gets a bit woody. I always get the best character through a tincture added at kegging (or in your case at bottling)

Alvarado Street said in a podcast they dry hop for pretty short periods with their huge dry hops because they were pulling out harshness going too long, although I don't recall them specifying a temp. It may have to do with dry hop amount. Maybe it makes sense in a smaller dry hop to go warmer/longer to get all the oils but the beers with massive dry hops do better shorter so you don't pull too much of the harsher stuff like polyphenols. I'm starting to experiment with doing identical batches but change up the dry hop time/temp to see what happens. I'm sure it also depends on what type of hop is being used.

There are some concepts that are agreed upon as best practice(limiting O2 as much as possible), but a lot of people do things a bit differently yet still find success so good luck trying to find one agreed upon process. I hard crash in my keezer under pressure when I want to drop the yeast before dry hop, but I've also dry hopped at the end of fermentation and spunded without crashing and made good beer. In the past I've raised the temp back up before dry hopping for a couple days but I'm starting to play around with dry hopping cooler and shorter especially for my beers with huge dry hops. I've read and heard on podcasts several times recently brewers suggesting doing that to get the desirable oils and leave the harsher undesirable stuff behind. I've been noticing alot of the commercial hazy IPAs I drink lately are a bit harsh and astringent.

Thanks for your response! I’ll try soft crashing this batch, maybe next batch I’ll try hard crashing with the same recipe and see how it goes.

One thing you could think of if you’re making a vanilla tincture is to portion it into every bottle as you add your priming.

I am going to try this tonight with my current already bottled Citra/Amarillo batch. For a 12 oz bottle I'll dissolve 8.5 grams of lactose in a small amount of water (equivalent to 1 lb/5 gallons) put that and a couple drops of vanilla tincture in the bottom of a glass before pouring. I've never really tasted Milkshake before, it just sounds good. @Dgallo thanks for the thoughts on Citra/Amarillo earlier. It came out very good.

Thanks for your response! I’ll try soft crashing this batch, maybe next batch I’ll try hard crashing with the same recipe and see how it goes.
I don't think you necessarily need to hard crash to drop the yeast although it doesn't hurt. I do it because I ferment in kegs and I like to put them under pressure when I'm crashing and it's just easiest to throw them in my keezer when there's space. But I do think some yeasts like colder temps to make them flocc than others.

Edit: figured I'd update my post because I listened to a podcast today with Sean Lawson and he said he drops his temps into the 50s before he dry hops(and leaves it cold while he dry hops). May be relevant info to you

Last edited:
The foam that forms on top of the wort at the beginning of your boil? That's hot break and should be nice & fluffy if your ph is where you want it

What is the pH you target for your boil to encourage hot break formation? Do you adjust after the mash, even if your mash & sparge pH is on target?

What is the pH you target for your boil to encourage hot break formation? Do you adjust after the mash, even if your mash & sparge pH is on target?
My mash ph is usually around 5.3-5.4. I find it doesn't drop much during the boil for me so I have started playing around with adding more acid during the boil to get the KO ph a little lower. I'm still playing around with that though, haven't really decided what I like or works best yet.

I don't think you necessarily need to hard crash to drop the yeast although it doesn't hurt. I do it because I ferment in kegs and I like to put them under pressure when I'm crashing and it's just easiest to throw them in my keezer when there's space. But I do think some yeasts like colder temps to make them flocc than others.

Edit: figured I'd update my post because I listened to a podcast today with Sean Lawson and he said he drops his temps into the 50s before he dry hops(and leaves it cold while he dry hops). May be relevant info to you

Do you mind sharing the podcast please?

Not OP but I think he might be talking about the Lawson’s Finest episode of the Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine podcast.
That's the one. Not a ton of actionable info regarding his process in the podcast except for the nugget about his crashing/dry hop temp and that he also uses really soft water.

I've actually made a new england with that exact same hop combo...it came out very nice..I don't think youll be dissapointed...have you had strata by itself?

It’s inevitable that a small portion of grain debris will make it into your boil kettle, even when creating a dense grain bed. This little bit of debris will not cause any noticeable bitterness, especially if your ph is in the proper range. The bigger risk of extracting tannins will occur during the sparge if you’re sparge ph is off
I usually put a mesh bag folded a couple of times clamped onto the end of my transfer hose when draining after mash and sparge...i typically vorlauf like a gallon of wort just to make sure grain bed is set but even after that exact you would be surprised what you can trap by doing this and prevent even less particulate from getting into your kettle...and not only ph but also proper temp plays and important role when sparging...try not to go over 170 sparge temp...any higher and there is a risk of tannin extraction from the grain

I just got a lb of Sabro and I know some of ya have used it in small doses. I usually hop at around 2 oz/gal in my NeIPAs. I have Ella, Vic Secret, Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic (all 2019). What combo would you all use with Sabro?

I just got a lb of Sabro and I know some of ya have used it in small doses. I usually hop at around 2 oz/gal in my NeIPAs. I have Ella, Vic Secret, Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic (all 2019). What combo would you all use with Sabro?
Never used ella so that's out for me and Vic secret seems to always give me a muddled strawberry thing so I would also toss that and then either rock the remaining three with Sabro or pick two and go for it...although I have had a beer from Grimm that was only sabro and mosaic and it was killer...with citra mosaic and galaxy at your disposal plus Sabro I don't think you can go wrong with whatever combo you choose...cheers

I would think you would want to dump as much trub and yeast as possible. I have seen people develop contraptions using a site glass and racking valve for dumping hops through the top. This seems like a cheaper better alternative. I’m curious if anyone on here is using this with any feedback.

I use it with a Flex+ fermentor. @jturman35 Pm me you email and I will send a video

Latest posts

Back