New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
latest...... I brewed 2 batches recently. Both based on post #1418. Both used 1318 yeast. Both used 125:125 RO water. Both eliminated honey malt and went with basemalt blend, Flaked oats/wheat, and white wheat. Batch #1 used regular CMG combo. Batch #2 used Centennial, Cascade, Summit..... Both turned out well. However, when I blend them 50/50 in the glass..... it is REALLY good. The sweetness of the CMG hops and the Dryness of the Centennial/Cascade/Summit hops really blends together nicely. I think I might try a version with 1 ounce of all 6 in the whirlpool and 1 ounce of all 6 in the dry hop. Hoping to keg my latest attempt at NE Amber Ale tomorrow as well.... will let you know if it turns out well.

beer.jpg

Not sure if this qualifies as a true NEIPA but here it goes.

159F mash
Yeast: An Imperial Stout yeast cake of Wyeast British Ale 1098. Going cheap here..
12lbs 2row
2lbs white wheat
6oz acid malt
5oz honey malt

1oz Citra 5min

1.5oz each Columbus/Eldorado WP at 150F, 30min

2 dry hop additions day 7 and day 10, bottle day 14. 1.5oz each Columbus/Eldorado

Conservative water profile. With 80 each gypsum, calcium chloride, sulfate. Est pH- 5.4.

Thanks for all your inputs to this thread. Been struggling with ipas lately so kinda mixing my old techniques with newer.

super pissed. i got lazy and used a 6 month old can of Imperial A38 Juice yeast and only got my NEIPA down to 1.020 from 1.057. Totally screwed that one out of pure laziness to go and buy a new can.

super pissed. i got lazy and used a 6 month old can of Imperial A38 Juice yeast and only got my NEIPA down to 1.020 from 1.057. Totally screwed that one out of pure laziness to go and buy a new can.

I actually just kegged my A38 today - can was from April. I too got lazy and didn't make a starter, took almost 2 weeks to get from 1.062 to 1.016... not 100% sure it finished -- got antsy for the weekend. I'm used to being able to keg these guys after a week.

Anyway, still drinking great - mostly Citra with some Mosaic for good measure:
fdCitXe.jpg

Hoping you guys could give me some advice -

I've got a pale NEIPA kegged up right now and it is the first time I have done a hop addition in the keg. I added 1oz each Azacca and Simcoe in a stainless steel mesh hop torpedo and it has been 5 days since kegging.

It tastes awful. It's what I imagine eating a hop pellet would be like and has very strong grassy notes on top of it. I've read that after carbing the harshness goes away and it has gotten a tad better since post 24 hours but seems to be maintaining its current state.

Should I give it more time or go ahead and pull those bad boys out? Will it even be salvageable if removed?

I've got a pale NEIPA kegged up right now and it is the first time I have done a hop addition in the keg. I added 1oz each Azacca and Simcoe in a stainless steel mesh hop torpedo and it has been 5 days since kegging.

It tastes awful. It's what I imagine eating a hop pellet would be like and has very strong grassy notes on top of it. I've read that after carbing the harshness goes away and it has gotten a tad better since post 24 hours but seems to be maintaining its current state.

Should I give it more time or go ahead and pull those bad boys out? Will it even be salvageable if removed?

You may have just learned that you don't like the taste of keg-hopped beer. I also have come to the conclusion that I don't like that flavor at all. It is much more DANK-VEGETAL and what some might describe as vegetal, harsh, grassy, etc. Some people seem to like it, but I do not. However, it is possible that some hop varieties are better than others in the keg. I HAVE used Citra in the keg in small amounts in a barlewine and enjoyed it. I also think it can maybe vary depending on the lot you get.

What does that mean?

Brett Claussenii....... Before you give your beer up for dead, one possible direction you could go with it is to add this yeast.... It will take it down from 1.020 to 1.005 or even all the way down to 1.000. It gives fruity, pineapple, funky Brett. flavors.

** take a little extra time/strategy to clean whatever you use in regard to fermenters, etc. Brett is hardier that some other things. Use Iodophor and star san as a double assurance you have everything clean after using the brett.

Personally, I like bottling these types of beers and letting them condition that way. I don't generally put my brett beers on tap..... I tend to keep it out of my lines. You could get a nice funky/tart/fruity IPA out of this as opposed to giving it up for dead.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp645-brettanomyces-claussenii

Get em out.... Leaving them in is not going to make the vegetal flavor any better. I have had this happen before as well. Sometimes it mellows out, sometimes it does not. Give it some time and see what comes of it. Personally, I am not a big fan of keg hopping for this reason. Plenty of people have success with it.... but, I have had this happen on more than one occasion.

Get em out.... Leaving them in is not going to make the vegetal flavor any better. I have had this happen before as well. Sometimes it mellows out, sometimes it does not. Give it some time and see what comes of it. Personally, I am not a big fan of keg hopping for this reason. Plenty of people have success with it.... but, I have had this happen on more than one occasion.

So do you just throw all dry hops in with the yeast and trub? Or do you still dry hop in a corny keg and transfer out?

latest...... I brewed 2 batches recently. Both based on post #1418. Both used 1318 yeast. Both used 125:125 RO water. Both eliminated honey malt and went with basemalt blend, Flaked oats/wheat, and white wheat. Batch #1 used regular CMG combo. Batch #2 used Centennial, Cascade, Summit..... Both turned out well. However, when I blend them 50/50 in the glass..... it is REALLY good. The sweetness of the CMG hops and the Dryness of the Centennial/Cascade/Summit hops really blends together nicely. I think I might try a version with 1 ounce of all 6 in the whirlpool and 1 ounce of all 6 in the dry hop. Hoping to keg my latest attempt at NE Amber Ale tomorrow as well.... will let you know if it turns out well.

Let us know how this one turns out. I have a ton of extra centennial and cascade I need to use.

So do you just throw all dry hops in with the yeast and trub? Or do you still dry hop in a corny keg and transfer out?

I have mainly been throwing them in Primary the last couple months.... I bought a better screen for doing hopping in a corny keg secondary, and also made a couple spunding valves..... So, I will likely revisit that strategy in the next couple months.

Let us know how this one turns out. I have a ton of extra centennial and cascade I need to use.

Will do.

I drank 2-3 pints of the Centennial/Cascade/ Summit last night..... it is definitely "lighter" and less "in your face" than C-M-G type hops. Comes off more like a pale ale than an IPA. Super drinkable though. Tremendous beer for warm weather. Citrus came through surprisingly well. Just more subtle than some of the "hop bombs" most of us are generally chasing.

....I also think it can maybe vary depending on the lot you get.

While this has little to do with keg hopping, this made me think of the issue of quality. I've found the quality of ingredients to be all over the place. I've bought many bags of hops that just didn't smell right and chose to not use them. This may be due to the lot they come from but could be with how they are handled in route to the customer. And it's something home brewers need to watch out for. Smell and/or taste your ingrediants before using them.

As far as the keg hopping goes, what some people learn is they don't like the taste of hops. I've chewed on many a pellet and cone and they are exactly as people describe...green, harsh, bitter, vegatable. Those flavors are already there. It's like eating bakers chocolate by itself....nasty. Just an observation...maybe an insight.

While this has little to do with keg hopping, this made me think of the issue of quality. I've found the quality of ingredients to be all over the place. I've bought many bags of hops that just didn't smell right and chose to not use them. This may be due to the lot they come from but could be with how they are handled in route to the customer. And it's something home brewers need to watch out for. Smell and/or taste your ingrediants before using them.

As far as the keg hopping goes, what some people learn is they don't like the taste of hops. I've chewed on many a pellet and cone and they are exactly as people describe...green, harsh, bitter, vegatable. Those flavors are already there. It's like eating bakers chocolate by itself....nasty. Just an observation...maybe an insight.

good pro brewers get to choose their lots of each variety. that would be awesome. one approach is to buy from a place and note the yr at least. if it works well, order a lot more and request the same yr from the same vendor

I'm thinking about doing a beer like this for a standard 3 week primary. I'm not going to rack to a secondary or keg. Is it bad to leave the early dry hop addition in there for the entire ferment? If so, what are my options?

Get em out.... Leaving them in is not going to make the vegetal flavor any better... ...Personally, I am not a big fan of keg hopping for this reason. Plenty of people have success with it.... but, I have had this happen on more than one occasion.

I have found more pleasing results with cold keg hopping, it seems to eliminate much of the vegetal off flavors.
I recently discoved this when I split a batch into 2 kegs both had weighted hop sack in each (2.5 oz of galaxy) one was put directly into the kegerator (to get an IPA on tap) and the other was pressurized and left warm for 3 or 4 days then put in kegerator.

I expect to like the one that was keg hopped warm more but the the one that was chilled down probably within 12 hours has all the keg hop contribution without the slight vegetal bite that the other one had.

I have found more pleasing results with cold keg hopping, it seems to eliminate much of the vegetal off flavors.
I recently discoved this when I split a batch into 2 kegs both had weighted hop sack in each (2.5 oz of galaxy) one was put directly into the kegerator (to get an IPA on tap) and the other was pressurized and left warm for 3 or 4 days then put in kegerator.

I expect to like the one that was keg hopped warm more but the the one that was chilled down probably within 12 hours has all the keg hop contribution without the slight vegetal bite that the other one had.

Can someone describe in more detail what vegetal is?
Does it taste like string beans, cauliflower, broccoli....is it a chlorophyll type of flavor...a strong lettuce like flavor?

Can someone describe in more detail what vegetal is?
Does it taste like string beans, cauliflower, broccoli....is it a chlorophyll type of flavor...a strong lettuce like flavor?

vegetal to me tastes like maybe mixing hoppy beer with some health drink made with kale or spinach. I think it is chlorophyl. I have been wondering if those flavors extract better in the presence of CO2.

Yep, chlorophyll flavor and the aroma of fresh cut grass.
It seems to have a way to ride over all the other controbutions of hops

Yep, chlorophyll flavor and the aroma of fresh cut grass.
It seems to have a way to ride over all the other controbutions of hops

That to me is what a bad bag of aroma hops smell like. For instance the tropical aromas are muted or non-existent and the hops smell like grass or hay.

Are you pulling from the bottom where all the hop matter is? ;)

Hey all, I was wanting to get your opinion on an idea I have. I have made this beer with variations 20+ times. I've done the second dry hop in primary, in an DH keg then transferred to serving keg, and DH in serving keg that was left at room temp for a few days then chilled, carbed, served with hops in keg till it kicked. Honestly I couldnt tell a huge difference between them except the DH in the serving keg seems to make the aroma/flavor last longer. Any who, I do 3.5 gallon batches, and this last time a fermented in keg and rigged up a DIY floating dip tube, cold crashed keg for 24 hours and transferred to new serving keg. This got me thinking that since we ferment and drink these so fast what do you all think about fermenting and DH in a keg and serving the beer straight from there with a floating dip tube? I mean we are talking total time in keg is less than a month. Any one have one of those clear beer draught systems and tried something like this? Ideas? Thoughts?

Are you pulling from the bottom where all the hop matter is? ;)

Ha! No, I made sure to keep the container middle area of the keg using floss and attaching to the lid.

So after 24 hours since removal it has mellowed out quite a bit and is not too bad. Very similar to southern prohibition's devil harvest breakfast IPA for anyone in the southeast that's had it.

Hey all, I was wanting to get your opinion on an idea I have. I have made this beer with variations 20+ times. I've done the second dry hop in primary, in an DH keg then transferred to serving keg, and DH in serving keg that was left at room temp for a few days then chilled, carbed, served with hops in keg till it kicked. Honestly I couldnt tell a huge difference between them except the DH in the serving keg seems to make the aroma/flavor last longer. Any who, I do 3.5 gallon batches, and this last time a fermented in keg and rigged up a DIY floating dip tube, cold crashed keg for 24 hours and transferred to new serving keg. This got me thinking that since we ferment and drink these so fast what do you all think about fermenting and DH in a keg and serving the beer straight from there with a floating dip tube? I mean we are talking total time in keg is less than a month. Any one have one of those clear beer draught systems and tried something like this? Ideas? Thoughts?

Two thoughts....
1.) I don't see why that should not work just fine.
2.) you don't know if you don't try :)
:mug:

As soon as I buy a spunding valve I'll probably try something similar but I'll probably ferment in a carboy for a few days for the bulk of active fermentation, transfer to keg, dry hop, spund, and try to carbonate while it's still fermenting.

As soon as I buy a spunding valve I'll probably try something similar but I'll probably ferment in a carboy for a few days for the bulk of active fermentation, transfer to keg, dry hop, spund, and try to carbonate while it's still fermenting.

That's almost what I do. Seems to work fine. I just don't get full carbonation but it's got a head start before I chill it.

Two thoughts....
1.) I don't see why that should not work just fine.
2.) you don't know if you don't try :)
:mug:

Very true, Ill give it a shot and report back. I've done the CMG enough times I should be able to tell if it turns out different, or maybe citra:equinox(my personal favorite). I'm going to order a clear beer draught system to try out, I made my own floating dip tube but I'm not 100% pleased with it.

Just tapped a citra:nelson:galaxy version today, curious to see how it turns out, the nelson didn't smell as good as last year straight out the bag, not bad, just didn't have that catty white grape pop that it usually does.

Right, time for my first go at this tomorrow. I have a new Fermonster, set up for sealed carbon dioxide "pushed" (I'll use my cask breather and the spigot on the fermonster) transfer, a corny lid set up to hang a dry hop bag from, and a fresh starter of Conan.

Aiming at 140:140 PPM Cl:SO4

Recipe is:
12lb Pearl Malt
1 lb Rolled Oats
4oz Honey Malt

2.5ml Hopshot for 60 mins
1oz Amarillo
1oz El Dorado
1oz Simcoe for 20 min whirlpool

1oz of each at 3-4 days
1oz of Amarillo and El Dorado, 0.5oz Simcoe after fermentation is done.

I'm brewing my second one soon and I'm thinking about using Citra - El Dorado - Equinox. Has anyone experienced with these hops? Would they go together well and what ratio would you use?

I'm brewing my second one soon and I'm thinking about using Citra - El Dorado - Equinox. Has anyone experienced with these hops? Would they go together well and what ratio would you use?

I have used them all. Out of those I prefer Ekuanot the best. They will all work well together. El Dorado has more of a melon taste to me, not very citrusy so depends what you are going for. One of my best NE IPAs was one that was Mostly ekuanot with citra and mosaic behind it. Honestly whatever the combo it will make a tasty beer.

So how are people getting an orangish color to their NE IPAs? Crystal malt 40-60? Or is it a base malt other than 2-row? Mine have mostly been coming out on the yellow side. I typically use 2-row, white wheat, light munich and a little honey malt.

So I don't know how many of you still bottle this style (I don't have a keg setup as of now, so I am bottler), but how much priming sugar are you using?

My last batch I used my standard 5oz/5 gallon batch, but I bottled it after a week as it dropped down and didn't go any further than 1.018. After 2-3 weeks my beer was overcarbed (it was like it had been bottled for 2-3 months). I'm thinking the priming sugar may have brought it down those last few points possibly, or that 5oz of priming sugar is too much for this style.

Just looking for what's worked best for those of you that still bottle this style. I just brewed a batch last Saturday, so I don't plan on brewing for 12 or so days yet. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back