New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80% base malt
8% oats
8% wheat
4% carapils
Fermented with 2gen Conan
RO water to start added salts to get 100 ppm calcium, 250 ppm sulfate, 100 ppm chloride.

Depends on how many gallons your brewing with, you have to weigh them out per recipe. I use beer smith but you could use free software like brun water or ez water calculator to figure out additions.

My latest ne dipa with Amarillo, citra, vic secret and gen 4 1318 yeast. Two weeks bottled and it's hop juice in another week should be peaking. View attachment 388584

Looks good. What was your FG? Have you done a NE style IPA with Gen 1 1318? I'm about to brew this for the first time with a fresh pack of 1318 (in a starter of course) so just wondering what to expect.

Looks good. What was your FG? Have you done a NE style IPA with Gen 1 1318? I'm about to brew this for the first time with a fresh pack of 1318 (in a starter of course) so just wondering what to expect.

In this one it was supposed to be 1.015 but dropped to 1.012 but you'd never know it's super creamy. I did use 1318 on a neipa first gen and made a starter, it was a smaller beer 1.060 I believe and it attenuated fine. It's a finicky yeast but as long as you pitch it in the low 60's and let it free rise for primary ferm it's fine once i see the turbination start to clear in my carboy about day 5-7 I'll Move it upstairs where it's about 70 and let it go the rest of the way to clean up. But be forewarned even at 70 deg 1318 is a true top crop yeast that krausen usually never dies down like an American ale yeast so when I dry hop I'll sterilize the shaft of my plastic spoon and make a hole in the yeast then add my dry hops.

Brewing this today for the 7th time, using 100% Mosaic. I got all frustrated at the homebrew store because they were out of Marris Otter and I had to sub Golden Promise. Then I double check the recipe this morning to see the mash temp and notice Golden Promise is actually what it calls for... D'oh! Excited to see if it makes much difference, it's excellent with Marris Otter by the way.

I just kegged mine on friday which I made with the imperial Citrus fermented at 69F. It finished at 1.013 for an abv of 5.9%. Pulled a sample yesterday and it is not 100% carbed yet, but it is amazing. Has an awesome pineapple, mango, and citrus aroma and tastes the same. Color came out perfect as well. This is the first time I have made this style and I now understand what everyone means by "juicy". I think this yeast compliments this style and recipe very well. Thanks for this awesome recipe. I will post a pic once 100% carbed. Definitely adding this to the rotation!

100% Carbed and Delicous!!

northeast ipa.jpg

Is this the same recipe on this thread or one you made up?

It is different. My recipe (the one on the right is mine) is as follows:
9.75# Golden Promise
1.25# 2-Row
1.25# Flaked Wheat
0.75# Dextrose
0.50# Maltodextrin (I get high attenuation so I wanted to add some body)

Mash at 152F for 60 min
Boil for 60 min
6gal post boil volume
5.5gal into fermenter

1318 yeast

OG: 1.069 (80% kettle efficiency)
FG: 1.014 (84% attenuation)

0.50oz Apollo FWH
1.00oz Mosaic at Flameout
4.00oz Citra at 180F for 60 min whirlpool
4.00oz Mosaic at 180F for 60 min whirlpool
1.00oz Simcoe at 180F for 60 min whirlpool
2.00oz Citra on Day 2
1.00oz Apollo on Day 3
1.50oz Mosaic on Day 3
1.00oz Simcoe on Day 3
2.50oz Citra on Day 7 in dry hop keg
2.50oz Mosaic on Day 7 in dry hop keg
1.00oz Simcoe on Day 7 in dry hop keg

9.75# Golden Promise
1.25# 2-Row
1.25# Flaked Wheat
0.75# Dextrose

Mash at 152F for 60 min
Boil for 60 min
6gal post boil volume
5.5gal into fermenter

1318 yeast

0.50oz Apollo FWH
2.00oz Citra on Day 2
1.00oz Apollo on Day 3
1.50oz Mosaic on Day 3
1.00oz Simcoe on Day 3

Have you found the point of diminishing returns with all those hops? My typical batch has 12 oz and seems to be plenty. Experimented with trying to get by with 8 and I just don't like it the same as 12.

Have you found the point of diminishing returns with all those hops? My typical batch has 12 oz and seems to be plenty. Experimented with trying to get by with 8 and I just don't like it the same as 12.

Visually, this is probably the best looking beer I've done. Whether that's due to the massive amount of hops, I don't know.

Flavor-wise, I don't think the huge amount of hops helped. In fact, it seems like that rawness you get when you first keg a NEIPS beer stuck around longer than when I only use 16oz. It's probably not helping that I have 6oz still in the keg. The beer is still good but it's got more bite than I normally like.

I have always done the 4 x 3 ounce additions and liked the results.... but, I kinda of wondered the same thing. I have a batch going now where I am doing 4 additions, and each is:

2 ounce Citra
.5 ounce Galaxy.

Figured I would kind of scale back a half ounce at a time per addition to see if/where I found a fall off. Should be kegging it in 4-5 days.

I have always done the 4 x 3 ounce additions and liked the results.... but, I kinda of wondered the same thing. I have a batch going now where I am doing 4 additions, and each is:

2 ounce Citra
.5 ounce Galaxy.

Figured I would kind of scale back a half ounce at a time per addition to see if/where I found a fall off. Should be kegging it in 4-5 days.

I guarantee you will be able to tell the difference between 1 and 2 oz/gallon in the dry hop. I don't know if going over 2 adds more flavor or not.

2 ounce Citra
.5 ounce Galaxy.

I was trying to get by with getting two batches out of each pound of hops I buy (when doing single hop versions). I don't think 4x2 oz is enough though.

I just kegged a version I did with 90% 2-row and 10% crystal 15L. I used NO kettle hops of any kind. The resulting beer is plenty dry and very smooth. I used 12 oz of dry hops, all in one addition: 4 oz each of denali, eureka! and citra. I used 1318 for the second straight time. Both of my 1318 beers have a weird fermentation character that I am not a fan of. I think I will go back to WLP095 or GigaYeast Conan. They are my favorite yeasts so far.

This beer has a kind of weird "keg-hop" flavor. I mean that it has the flavor I get when I add hops to the keg in a sack. I don't like the flavor when I do that most of the time. It has a weird strong dank/vegetal character that shows up every time I keg hop. Maybe it is the Eureka. I guess it must be, as I've used citra and denali with none of this dank/veg before. it needs to mellow out and settle before passing final judgment, but I think I am going to do the classic C:M:G 1:1:1 again with either WLP095 or GigaYeast Conan.

I have been thinking of using WLP002 though as well. I just did a Deschutes Jubelale clone that has an incredibly delicious yeast profile using WLP002. I like the lower attenuation too.

I've started seeing information on these beers being called Milkshake IPA's?
It looks as though theres an addition of fruit at times, small amounts of lactose and sometimes a vanilla bean?

Can anyone shedsome light on this alternative NEIPA style.

I've started seeing information on these beers being called Milkshake IPA's?
It looks as though theres an addition of fruit at times, small amounts of lactose and sometimes a vanilla bean?

Can anyone shedsome light on this alternative NEIPA style.

Yes, do some googling of tired hands brewing/omnipollo. There's a podcast out there with some details. Apple puree during boil for permanent pectin haze, lactose for unfermentable sweetness, and then conditioned on various fruit purees with vanilla beans. I just brewed one on Friday that will be like this, inspired by the Pineapple Milkshake version they just released.

Yes, do some googling of tired hands brewing/omnipollo. There's a podcast out there with some details. Apple puree during boil for permanent pectin haze, lactose for unfermentable sweetness, and then conditioned on various fruit purees with vanilla beans. I just brewed one on Friday that will be like this, inspired by the Pineapple Milkshake version they just released.

boiling apple puree?? wtf?!
call me ignorant, but wouldn't this make for a beer that could have some acetaldehyde??

9.75# Golden Promise
1.25# 2-Row
1.25# Flaked Wheat
0.75# Dextrose

Mash at 152F for 60 min
Boil for 60 min
6gal post boil volume
5.5gal into fermenter

1318 yeast

0.50oz Apollo FWH
2.00oz Citra on Day 2
1.00oz Apollo on Day 3
1.50oz Mosaic on Day 3
1.00oz Simcoe on Day 3

I've been wondering about Maltodextrin. Do you think it helps you achieve body? Better than carapils?

9.75# Golden Promise
1.25# 2-Row
1.25# Flaked Wheat
0.75# Dextrose

Mash at 152F for 60 min
Boil for 60 min
6gal post boil volume
5.5gal into fermenter

1318 yeast

0.50oz Apollo FWH
2.00oz Citra on Day 2
1.00oz Apollo on Day 3
1.50oz Mosaic on Day 3
1.00oz Simcoe on Day 3

Also, why use the dextrose and dextrine? I guess that seems like a waste to try and dry it out but then add dextrin in to keep it from attenuating.

I dunno man, but it's definitely what they do. Only for the haze though, so it's not necessary. I didn't do it in my batch.

Here's the podcast: Episode 59 w/ Jean

http://www.stealthisbeer.com/episodes/

yeah, i don't think i'd be keen to do that. not only for weird flavors being present, but the fact that apple puree probably isn't the easiest to get hold of anyway.

share your results when you can on here, or pm me. i'd be interested to see.

i have surgery upcomin,g but i think i might make an attempt first up, once im back in action (probably 2 months or so)
my thoughts were peaches lactose and no specialty malts (just pilsner/flaked oats/ wheat and possibly malted oats)
1 Vanilla bean, mash low to keep it dry-ish, and use lactose to beef it up a bit.

Also, why use the dextrose and dextrine? I guess that seems like a waste to try and dry it out but then add dextrin in to keep it from attenuating.

This comes up a lot. I can see it two ways at least:

If you add dextrose and a dextrine malt, you are trying to remove malt flavor while keeping the alcohol the same. At the same time, you are trying to increase body/mouthfeel.

If you add dextrose and Caraplis, you are trying to remove malt flavor while keeping the alcohol the same. At the same time, you are trying to increase body/mouthfeel and head retention (Carapils claims to increase all 3 and ordinary dextrine malt may/may not do all three.)

Another option is to just add dextrose. This is done to reduce malt flavor while keeping the alcohol level the same.

So, I brewed this with my new HERMS setup. Mash @154, hop stand for 1 hour at 160. Followed the revised recipe with 1.06 OG. Due to travel, couldn't fit in the desired hop/fermentation schedule. Fermented out for 14 days with no dry hop. Tasted, and it was phenomenal. So I decided to dry hop it according to the first dry hop schedule in the recipe, but didn't get around to getting it off the hops for another 12 days.

I just kegged it (oxygen-free), and the hop bitterness overwhelm and are harsh. I suppose this is from sitting on the hops too long. Has anyone else experienced this? Next time, I think I'll try for natural carb. via spunding valve, and a total fermentation time of 10 days (racking to serving keg after day 6). Thoughts?

If you add dextrose and a dextrine malt, you are trying to remove malt flavor while keeping the alcohol the same. At the same time, you are trying to increase body/mouthfeel.

If you add dextrose and Caraplis, you are trying to remove malt flavor while keeping the alcohol the same. At the same time, you are trying to increase body/mouthfeel and head retention (Carapils claims to increase all 3 and ordinary dextrine malt may/may not do all three.)

Another option is to just add dextrose. This is done to reduce malt flavor while keeping the alcohol level the same.

I have added lactose in the past and didn't the last couple of times and imo it does add what is missing.

I've been brewing for about 8 years, on and off, and over the past 2 years I've felt like I've made a lot of really good beers. But my first shot at Braufessor 's recipe here ....wow. I can't get over how good this is. I kegged it about 8 days ago and I've already shared 750s with neighbors, coworkers, and family at every opportunity. I like to tweak recipes to make them my own but this is damn near perfect. Thanks Braufessor!

I guess I didn't realize dextrose cut malt flavor. I thought it was more geared towards yeast and attenuation.

Sorry if it's been covered but has anyone tested the ph of the top commercial examples? The sour IPA I have on right now gave me some process ideas for executing these juicy IPAs.

I have added lactose in the past and didn't the last couple of times and imo it does add what is missing.

Yeah, lactose brings something that I've yet to get from any other source. The one beer I used lactose in had the best mouthfeel of any beer I've ever made. But it also had a little too much sweetness. I used 0.5# lactose. I need to work on this a little to figure out how to keep that mouthfeel but reduce the sweetness.

I just use maltodextrin to achieve my desired FG. I know my efficiency and attenuation and without maltodextrin, I will come in around 1.010. For me, that is too low for this style. So I'll add maltodextrin to boost up the FG and tweak the fermentables to keep the OG in check.

I'm going to try mashing at 156 to see how that affects my efficiency and gravities.

Back