New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been such a good thread, I learned a lot of information to make my NE style IPA, Thanks everyone who wrote in on this. Cheers!

IMG_0091.jpg

Can not wait to brew a version of this very soon ordering some lbs of hops here soon just for acouple versions of this to be on tap

Transferred into the dry hop keg on Wednesday (Day 11). Ended up with by far our best yield yet, we filled the dry hop keg to the top with 5 gallons of beer.

Jumped to the serving keg today (Day 13). Ended up with 4.7 gallons packaged beer (based on weight). The picture below is about half of what was left behind in the dry hop keg. When I opened the lid I was hit with the most amazing hop aroma I've ever smelled!

Currently carbing at 30 psi, will drop to serving pressure after 24 hours and pull the first glass around Day 16 (Monday).

Dropped the pressure down to 10 psi and pulled a sample. Very little carbonation so far, but the color and aroma are outstanding. Tasting very tropical and dank (maybe even more dank than I was expecting) with Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy (1 oz each for flameout and whirlpool / 1.5 oz Citra, 1.0 oz Mosaic, 0.5 oz Galaxy for both dry hops).

Picture below shows natural sunlight on left and normal house lighting on right.

Took the first sample today after 36 hrs at 30psi. Not quite carbed fully but I backed it down to 10 psi so I don't overshoot. Citrus aroma and flavor is massive on this one. Its got a nice grapefruit bite, too. I need to brew it again in the next week or two. It won't last long.

20160514_101329.jpg

20160514_100826.jpg

I've decided to dedicate a good portion of my brewing capacity to single hopped versions of this beer. 100% Citra will be kegged this week and I just brewed up a 100% Nelson version today. I love to base so much that it seems like the perfect beer to really get to know individual hop characteristics. Mosaic, Galaxy or Equinox will likely be next.

Anteater8 - The version in my pic was Mosaic, Galaxy, and Citra. I just bought Enigma, Kohatu, and Moteuka for the next version. I never brewed with these, so hopefully it turns out good. I still will target OG 1.068, but will use all Golden Promise as the base malt. I liked this recipe so much that I want to play with hop varieties more over the summer.

So, my first attempt at this style resulted in an IPA that I like very much, but it wasn't as good a representation of this style as I intended. I attribute that to:

1. Heavier mouthfeel than intended. I definitely got the "softness" and "smoothness" I was shooting for which tells me my water chemistry is close, but it was missing that light, juicy thing. Juicy in flavor and aroma, but too "big" for lack of a better word. I think I just went a little high on the OG (1.070) and too heavy on the flaked oats. Lesson learned there.

2. I also think I carbed too high. Just by reflex, I carbed to where I usually carb Pales and IPAs, around 2.6-2.7 vols. I think that's too high for this style from the samples I've had. For those of you that seem to be hitting the mark on this style, what level are you carbing to?

3. Visually, it's a beautiful beer, slight haziness, but way clearer than the pictures I'm seeing in this thread. I, also just by reflex, threw whirlfloc in without thinking about it. Well, I can tell you one thing: I now know for sure that whirlfloc does its job and does it well. This is as clear as this beer could possibly be with as much flaked grains as I used and using no other fining method.

Anyway, it's still a very nice beer, but I'll be making some changes next time around.

Dan

Kegged mine a week ago. First AG attempt. Very low on sg so I lengthened the boil. Wound up with 5gal in fermenter at 1.052. Played around with the hops a bit. But overall brew day was ok.

No access to 1318 or Conan so I used. S04. Knew it may affect the final product.

Dry hop at day 5 and again at day 9. Cold crashed due to hop residuals and dry hop being whole leaf.

Today is day 21 and pulled a sample. Darker than a typical IPA but not cloudy/hazy. Nose is excellent. Taste is decent but may need another week.

Oh and I broke my hydrometer and I'm not sure of Fg. First world problems I guess. Horrible glass choice I know. Just working it out. Now back to my killer saison.

Overall a success View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463343350.296711.jpg

Kegged mine a week ago.

No access to 1318 or Conan so I used. S04. Knew it may affect the final product.

Today is day 21 and pulled a sample. Darker than a typical IPA but not cloudy/hazy. Nose is excellent. Taste is decent but may need another week.
View attachment 354551

What was your recipe again? That looks darker than I would expect.
So I am trying to figure out if it was related to grains, yeast or both.

What was your recipe again? That looks darker than I would expect.
So I am trying to figure out if it was related to grains, yeast or both.

Way darker than I expected. I used a half lb of carared. My SRM looked really low so I tried to increase with that but maybe too much.

Way darker than I expected. I used a half lb of carared. My SRM looked really low so I tried to increase with that but maybe too much.

Yup, that will do it and combined with flocculant yeast you got a clearer and darker version of this beer. Probably still delicious.

So as I prepare to brew this recipe on Saturday, I am preparing my water.
Using BrunWater and my base profile to start with, I end up with the following :
Ca: 114.1
Mg: 21.5
Na: 66.3
SO4: 100.2
Cl: 179.8
Bicarbonate: -7.0

Does this look alright? I wanted to get the Cl and SO4 close to the recommended.

Should I run with it?

Took the first sample today after 36 hrs at 30psi. Not quite carbed fully but I backed it down to 10 psi so I don't overshoot. Citrus aroma and flavor is massive on this one. Its got a nice grapefruit bite, too. I need to brew it again in the next week or two. It won't last long.

Don't we reach a point where we cross over from hazy to turbid? It may smell and taste great, but that looks really un-appetizing...sludgy. YMMV.

So as I prepare to brew this recipe on Saturday, I am preparing my water.
Using BrunWater and my base profile to start with, I end up with the following :

Does this look alright? I wanted to get the Cl and SO4 close to the recommended.

Should I run with it?

Personally, I think you are a fair amount higher than I have gone with sodium and chloride. My sodium is usually only in the 20 range and chloride is usually closer to 140. Are you adding salt, or are you using water that goes through a water softener to arrive at those numbers??
Water from a water softener is not the best way to go if that is the case.

Don't we reach a point where we cross over from hazy to turbid? It may smell and taste great, but that looks really un-appetizing...sludgy. YMMV.

I think tastes and perspective vary - so, whatever someone likes.... that is great as far as I am concerned.
Personally..... I do not like lots of yeast left in these kinds of beers. I love the hazy, full bodied beer that comes from flaked grains, heavy late hop additions, polyphenols from dry hopping during late primary fermentation and slightly higher pH's. For me - that is where I want the haziness coming from. I don't really want it from yeast. I am not going to any lengths to filter or clarify the yeast out.... but, I do let yeast settle out, and I do use conan which drops better than 1318. Personally, it is not as much "the look" of some yeast in the beer....... I just find when it gets excessive, it throws the taste and balance off (for me).

I brewed this one on Sunday and went high with my Cl as well, I ended up with different numbers than you though. Started with 100% RO water;

Ca: 97.3
Mg: 12.0
Na: 36.1
SO4: 100.0
Cl: 179.9
Bicarbonate: -21.0

For salt additions BruN' Water gave me;

Gypsum: 0.35g/gal
Epsom Salt: 0.46g/gal
Canning Salt: 0.27g/gal
Calcium Chloride: 1.04g/gal

Also needed a touch of lactic acid to get it down to 5.4 pH. It's bubbling away in my basement right now so I have no idea if this was a good idea or not.

@Braufessor
Regular well water / no softener
I added salts to get to these numbers and I went that high with chloride because a level of 180 was recommended by PeteNMA in an earlier post and then agreed to by you.

I just went back into Brunwater and changed some stuff to give:
Ca 146
Mg 22
Na 27
SO4 100
Cl 176

Is this better than before?

@Braufessor
Regular well water / no softener
I added salts to get to these numbers and I went that high with chloride because a level of 180 was recommended by PeteNMA in an earlier post and then agreed to by you.

I just went back into Brunwater and changed some stuff to give:
Ca 146
Mg 22
Na 27
SO4 100
Cl 176

Is this better than before?

Yeah - that looks better.... the Sodium was the number I found more of a potential concern that the chloride. I have not personally gone that high on calcium or Chloride..... but, you don't know if you don't try the boundaries.

Yeah - that looks better.... the Sodium was the number I found more of a potential concern that the chloride. I have not personally gone that high on calcium or Chloride..... but, you don't know if you don't try the boundaries.

Ok.

I must have misunderstood that post from way back when you agreed with PeteNMA.
You must have been agreeing with the ratio and not necessarily the chloride and sulfate numbers themselves

Personally, I think you are a fair amount higher than I have gone with sodium and chloride. My sodium is usually only in the 20 range and chloride is usually closer to 140.

Some perspective re: chloride

Malt will typically add 250-400ppm chloride just from the grain itself. Lets just say it adds 300ppm for the sake of argument. So in the finished beer it will be either 440 or 470ppm chloride...does anyone believe that will make any difference whatsoever in the beer???

Concentrate more on an approach (heavy Cl, heavy SO4, or balanced) and mash/kettle pH. Much more important flavor drivers.

I think alot of what we see here are people's samples or first pull from the keg, only 24-48 hrs in. I bet alot of those same beers will look great a few days/pints later.
I prefer the hazy/cloudiness of this style more than a clear IPA. but yea, i agree otherwise, the hop vomit look can be a bit un-appetizing.

Ok.

I must have misunderstood that post from way back when you agreed with PeteNMA.
You must have been agreeing with the ratio and not necessarily the chloride and sulfate numbers themselves

I have used that much Cl before with great success, but I get it all from calcium chloride, I don't add canning salt as it pushes up the sodium, and my tap water comes with about 25ppm sodium already so I don't want to add any more to hoppy beers.

I have used that much Cl before with great success, but I get it all from calcium chloride, I don't add canning salt as it pushes up the sodium, and my tap water comes with about 25ppm sodium already so I don't want to add any more to hoppy beers.

This was exactly what I did when I went back and changed things around.
I removed a good portion of the pickling salt and replaced with calcium chloride.:mug:

I brewed this one on Sunday and went high with my Cl as well, I ended up with different numbers than you though. Started with 100% RO water;

Ca: 97.3
Mg: 12.0
Na: 36.1
SO4: 100.0
Cl: 179.9
Bicarbonate: -21.0

For salt additions BruN' Water gave me;

Gypsum: 0.35g/gal
Epsom Salt: 0.46g/gal
Canning Salt: 0.27g/gal
Calcium Chloride: 1.04g/gal

Also needed a touch of lactic acid to get it down to 5.4 pH. It's bubbling away in my basement right now so I have no idea if this was a good idea or not.

That is essentially what I add, too.
0.36g/gal Gypsum
0.46g/gal Epsom salt
0.27g/gal Canning salt
1.07g/gal CaCl

Ca 99
Mg 12
NA 28
SO4 100
Cl 180

Both batches I've done with that have tasted great.

In case anyone is interested - this is the blonde ale I make:
OG = 1.042

45% 2 row
45% golden promise
2.5% each of Wheat, honey malt, cara 20 and flaked barley

Hops = 1oz. of liberty at 30 minutes, 1 oz. liberty at 5 minutes

PH = 5.35

Ca = 65
Sulfate = 75
Chloride = 65

I go 75% RO, 25 % Hard tap water. Lactic acid to hit 5.35-5.40

Mash = 152

** Something like Centennial Blonde recipe would be a great one too probably.

Just looking for a light, easy drinking beer that takes no dry hop and makes a nice pile of clean yeast for harvesting. People drink the hell out of this beer though - I can never keep it on tap. I like it myself, wife likes it and guests tend to demolish it.

What is the batch size that you use for this beer? I am going to try it out for my first generation of yeast. Just so I can get the same hop profile. I like to make 6 gallons but not sure if that would be stretching the 2 oz of hops too thin.

What is the batch size that you use for this beer? I am going to try it out for my first generation of yeast. Just so I can get the same hop profile. I like to make 6 gallons but not sure if that would be stretching the 2 oz of hops too thin.

I am usually making 6.25 gallons or a bit more of this beer when I make it. It is not a hoppy beer at all. But it is a real easy drinking blonde ale.

I will be transferring this to dry hop keg tonight. Washing the yeast and throwing in on a stir plate to brew a second batch on Saturday. I didn't add anything to the water in the first batch but will do 2:1 cacl:gypsum on the second and see how it will affect flavor

Hey Braufessor, do you do any cold crashing at all at any point?

No..... have not bothered with cold crashing in 5-6 months probably. I do put my fermenter up on counter for 1-2 days before transferring to dry hop keg, and I use SS Brew Buckets that have a conical type bottom, and I use Conan as opposed to 1318........ So, I have most stuff settled out and undisturbed when I transfer to dry hop keg.

No..... have not bothered with cold crashing in 5-6 months probably. I do put my fermenter up on counter for 1-2 days before transferring to dry hop keg, and I use SS Brew Buckets that have a conical type bottom, and I use Conan as opposed to 1318........ So, I have most stuff settled out and undisturbed when I transfer to dry hop keg.

Thanks for the input! One other question I had is... How long do the super tropical aromas and tastes last in your beers? I dry hopped a recent batch with all Galaxy, and it was amazing. After about 2-3 weeks in the keg, and then they start to drop off and smell/taste like more traditional hops.

Back