New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for him, he definitely has a great product. I’ve been floating the idea around of contract brewing. It’s a big decision, with having 3 under 5 years old and being the insurance carrier for the family, not to mention the facility is like 50-60 minutes from my house. It would certainly be a great opportunity but with the way life is right now, there’s been quite the back and forth with how feasible it would be for us as a family currentl
Good for him, he definitely has a great product. I’ve been floating the idea around of contract brewing. It’s a big decision, with having 3 under 5 years old and being the insurance carrier for the family, not to mention the facility is like 50-60 minutes from my house. It would certainly be a great opportunity but with the way life is right now, there’s been quite the back and forth with how feasible it would be for us as a family currently
I would totally buy your product. You are a far superior brewer than most I know. And I’m referring to procesional brewers.

Yep he's just recently made a few NEIPA cans available to the public for the first time, the last few were brewed and sold at Living Haus. They just announced the physical brewery/taproom space for Brujos in Portland which will start doing can releases in October and open to the public in spring '24.
I visit Portland every summer.🔥

My collab the warbler is out in cans. Can’t lie, feels good to see my logo on the label.

It is out in distro through Uptown Beverage. Keep an eye out
View attachment 820524

Would you mind sharing the hop rate and schedule for this? Looks Awesome!
I'm brewing this weekend and was going to go 100% Nelson but was thinking about splitting it with citra or nectron then I saw this!
Perfect! Actually any info about the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

CAE1994B-7507-4066-873A-7D5356DB6DCF.jpeg

Super happy with this beer.
Mosaic, citra, New Zealand cascade
Ctz in the boil.

I know the new crop of Galaxy just got released, but has anyone brewed with it yet or are going to brew with it soon? I'm really hoping that it gets back to where it was in 2015-2017. So much tropical fruit. I'm not willing to waste anymore money and batches of beer on a hop that's only but a shell of its former self.

I know the new crop of Galaxy just got released, but has anyone brewed with it yet or are going to brew with it soon? I'm really hoping that it gets back to where it was in 2015-2017. So much tropical fruit. I'm not willing to waste anymore money and batches of beer on a hop that's only but a shell of its former self.
yeah someone here needs to be the guinea pig!!! Trillium finally put headroom out again so I'm assuming that means that they're finally happy with the galaxy they got

Are you still running that blog and analysing beers?
I'm still planning to run the blog and continue analyzing beers but I have three kiddos now and just haven't had the time. I'm hoping to dive back into it for 2024! Thanks for reading :)

I'm still planning to run the blog and continue analyzing beers but I have three kiddos now and just haven't had the time. I'm hoping to dive back into it for 2024! Thanks for reading :)
Ah cool, I know exactly what you mean!

Yakima is at least always pretty good to me when I need to return bad hops, hered to hoping they're fire though
I do really hope so. This year Galaxy is said to be good. Would be great if yvh got some solid quality

While there was most likely a lot of bad galaxy out there I think people also tend to underestimate its power and do not hone in their dry hop practices for this particular hop which can be very impactfull even in tiny amounts

While there was most likely a lot of bad galaxy out there I think people also tend to underestimate its power and do not hone in their dry hop practices for this particular hop which can be very impactfull even in tiny amounts
That could be some of it but I think it’s very telling that trillium released headroom this year, probably their most sought after ipa that uses 8lb/bbl of mostly Galaxy, for the first time in 3-4 year due to the poor quality Galaxy they were receiving

Last edited:
That could be some of it but I think it’s very telling that trillium released headroom this year, probably their most sought after ipa that’s 100% that uses 8lb/bbl of Galaxy, for the first time in 3-4 year due to the poor quality Galaxy they were receiving
Yes agree. I've had pretty great results from Galaxy 2022 so very curious to see if the new crop is that more amazing

I've been brewing with Galaxy since the 2015 crop, so I'm pretty well versed. I used to brew an all Galaxy hazy on the regular that all my friends loved and won multiple comps with. It was essentially a cheat code to deliciousness. I noticed a decline around 2018. Galaxy has be crap for me ever since. I refuse to buy it until a few people have brewed with it and can confirm it's back to the explosive tropical it used to be. Headroom is a good indicator that Galaxy is back, but Trillium gets the pick of the litter when it comes to hops.

I've been brewing with Galaxy since the 2015 crop, so I'm pretty well versed. I used to brew an all Galaxy hazy on the regular that all my friends loved and won multiple comps with. It was essentially a cheat code to deliciousness. I noticed a decline around 2018. Galaxy has be crap for me ever since. I refuse to buy it until a few people have brewed with it and can confirm it's back to the explosive tropical it used to be. Headroom is a good indicator that Galaxy is back, but Trillium gets the pick of the litter when it comes to hops.
I got alot of pineapple from my lot, def tropical and with a certain unique light dankness thats hard to describe, no diesel more good cannabis

My 2022 galaxy from yakima smelled good but came out a bit too grassy. It was decent but not that level galaxy was at when it first blew up

Hi guys, long time reader but first time poster here! Been following the thread for a time now and wanted to say thanks for all of the great tips!

I've noticed that alot of you guys seem to be using spelt and I've been meaning to give it a try. Do you think this recipe would work? Omitting the oats all together? Or should I go for a 10% addition of oat malt as well?

80% pilsner
20% spelt

Whirlpool 7,5g/l of CTZ
Dry hop 15g/l of Citra and Citra cryo

Hi guys, long time reader but first time poster here! Been following the thread for a time now and wanted to say thanks for all of the great tips!

I've noticed that alot of you guys seem to be using spelt and I've been meaning to give it a try. Do you think this recipe would work? Omitting the oats all together? Or should I go for a 10% addition of oat malt as well?

80% pilsner
20% spelt

Whirlpool 7,5g/l of CTZ
Dry hop 15g/l of Citra and Citra cryo
Yeah Either 80/20 or 70/20/10 would work fine. Just avoid dryhoping during fermentation with spelt or oats. The high protein % will increase hopburn risks

Where did you read this?
I’ll find you one of the articles shortly but it’s pretty readily available if you search it.

Hopburn is the combination of polyphenols and proteins which get bound together by the yeast. So increased hoping rates during fermentation in combination with high protein grainbills will increased hopburn. Thats also why hopcreep results in increased hopburn.

It’s the main reason breweries are dryhoping after fermentation, post crashing yeast, and at lower temps.

Last edited:
I agree with Dgallo, I’ve heard many respected brewers talk about it - and it fits my experience too - the protein in oats especially grabs onto polyphenol more so than just wheat. Too much and it’s hop burn, but just the right amount and it makes for a really nice effect that my favorite versions of this style have. So I prefer these beers with lots of oats. (And spelt fits this category too more so than white wheat). But I’d be happy to read some articles on the topic if you want to do the publication search

I agree with Dgallo, I’ve heard many respected brewers talk about it - and it fits my experience too - the protein in oats especially grabs onto polyphenol more so than just wheat. Too much and it’s hop burn, but just the right amount and it makes for a really nice effect that my favorite versions of this style have. So I prefer these beers with lots of oats. (And spelt fits this category too more so than white wheat). But I’d be happy to read some articles on the topic if you want to do the publication search
There’s definitely a balance but the may cause of hopburn is dryhopping heavily during fermentation or at warmer temps when yeast is still active. If you use a high protein grainbill and dryhop heavily during active fermentation or at temps that yeast can be active the hopburn will be exacerbated due to the higher protein amount.

Now you can use a high protein grainbill, which I personally do (20-30%) but dryhop after softcrashing and in the low-mid 50*f and have very little hopburn, if any at all

I thought hop creep happened more when fermenting at cooler temps. Will def look for more info. I never go that high on protein anyways, usually 10%.

I thought hop creep happened more when fermenting at cooler temps.
Hop creep happens anytime hops are added at a temperature where yeast are active and present as the enzymes in the hops make sugars available to the yeast. When dryhoping during fermentation, the hopcreep just becomes part of primary fermentation so it kinda goes unnoticed and people think they just got better attenuation than they expected.

Hop creep can become a bigger issue with diacetyl production if proper process and cold storage isn’t in place if you dryhop post fermentation

Wonder why the new harvest is so inexpensive. Maybe it isn’t moving too fast as people are nervous about the quality. Or maybe it is the quality
Yeah whenever something goes on sale this fast I get nervous.

Yeah whenever something goes on sale this fast I get nervous.

Totally plausible but could also be an attempt to get our business back after several years of high-variance lots 🤷 They got me to bite! Being lucky to fairly regularly get beers from The Veil featuring galaxy, I would really like to brew with it.

For what its worth, I’ve had decent luck using galaxy with no wheat/oats and verdant. Good luck & be sure to report what you get.

I plan on dusting off a recipe I used to brew regularly from 2016-2017 that used pretty much all Galaxy. It always turned out fantastically tropical. If I can get it to taste 75% as good, I'll be happy. I'll report back when I've brewed it.

Totally plausible but could also be an attempt to get our business back after several years of high-variance lots 🤷 They got me to bite! Being lucky to fairly regularly get beers from The Veil featuring galaxy, I would really like to brew with it.

For what its worth, I’ve had decent luck using galaxy with no wheat/oats and verdant. Good luck & be sure to report what you get.
From what I can remember treat by treehouse is a heavily galaxy dry hopped beer and the 4 pack of jumbo treat I just had was absolutely fantastic

Wonder why the new harvest is so inexpensive. Maybe it isn’t moving too fast as people are nervous about the quality. Or maybe it is the quality
Ha, I thought the exact same thing when a friend sent me the link. Think people have been burned too often by galaxy. Personally I'm done with it.

Ha, I thought the exact same thing when a friend sent me the link. Think people have been burned too often by galaxy. Personally I'm done with it.
I have never brewed with Galaxy. For several years it was hard to come by and selling for $40+ per lb. It seems like every commercial beer I have had over the past few years with Galaxy is harsh. I generally avoid ordering beers that feature Galaxy. It is because I don't like Galaxy, or because everybody has been brewing the bad Galaxy recently? $15 per lb is hard to beat, but I am sure I could find a dozen hops at YVH for $20 per lb or less that I know I will enjoy.

BTW, I am pretty sure YVH knows that if you order a 1 lb of their First Friday sale hop, you will likely order more hops as well. Shipping is the same for 4 lbs as it is for 1 lb. It is generally not that great of a deal if you only order 1 bag after shipping costs. It would be $27 for me. I don't brew enough to purchase multiple bags of a hop like Galaxy.

I have never brewed with Galaxy. For several years it was hard to come by and selling for $40+ per lb. It seems like every commercial beer I have had over the past few years with Galaxy is harsh. I generally avoid ordering beers that feature Galaxy. It is because I don't like Galaxy, or because everybody has been brewing the bad Galaxy recently? $15 per lb is hard to beat, but I am sure I could find a dozen hops at YVH for $20 per lb or less that I know I will enjoy.

BTW, I am pretty sure YVH knows that if you order a 1 lb of their First Friday sale hop, you will likely order more hops as well. Shipping is the same for 4 lbs as it is for 1 lb. It is generally not that great of a deal if you only order 1 bag after shipping costs. It would be $27 for me. I don't brew enough to purchase multiple bags of a hop like Galaxy.

I have to agree. While I haven't gotten too much hop burn in Galaxy on commercial brews, maybe about 30%, last 2 years have been really bad and it's been almost every other Galaxy beer that had hop burn. Same with Vic Secret, with a couple of exceptions.

I completely understand those of you that have been burned 🤓 by galaxy one too many times to try again, but I have issues! I f-ing love this hop. Though I kinda love them all.

This beer from The Veil is an all galaxy beer that is “triple dry hoppped” and it’s stupid good. I recognize they may well get to pick, though not sure anyone can with Aussie hops? But a lot of my HB interest/enthusiasm is in the fun of trying emulating pro brews I really love. I have no intention of ever going pro.

IMG_0931.jpeg

Back