New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently brewed an adaption of the recipes I found in this thread, and I experienced significant hop burn that never really settled out of the beer. I ended up splitting 16oz of Citra and Nectaron between the whirlpool and dry hop. Thinking I should have backed off on the whirlpool hops? Any ideas?

Next time I am going with DGallo's suggestion to back off on the whirlpool hop in favor of dryhopping.

Everything about the beer was good, other than that burn in the back of the throat. Thx in advance!

-Mark

View attachment 824992

I don't see acid on your brew sheet.

Usually that is caused by forgetting to acidify sparge water and you extract polyphenols (tannins) from the grains. Most common flaw in craft IPAs. The problem seems to present more in highly hopped beer so it is also possible pH went too high after dry-hopping (hops increase pH) and you extracted polyphenols from the hops too.

I don't see acid on your brew sheet.

Usually that is caused by forgetting to acidify sparge water and you extract polyphenols (tannins) from the grains. Most common flaw in craft IPAs. The problem seems to present more in highly hopped beer so it is also possible pH went too high after dry-hopping (hops increase pH) and you extracted polyphenols from the hops too.

it's very hard in practice to get tannins from the grains. If this astringency isn't present in any of their other beers that is definitely not the issue. I've seen judges note sparge related issues on scoresheets with hop related astringency and it drives me crazy because it's obviously not the issue in heavily hopped beers when there's a much more likely cause.

It's 100% hop related, either hop polyphenols or an increase in pH with the dry hopping.

Not so hazy IPA report:

9 lb 2 row
5 lb pils
3 lb flaked wheat
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

1 oz Amarillo 15 min (13 IBU)
1 oz Strata 5 min (7 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
1 oz Strata whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
2 oz El Dorado whirlpool (175 for 30 min)
4 oz Strata dry hop
2 oz El Dorado dry hop
4 oz El Dorado lupomax dry hop
2 oz Amarillo dry hop
2 oz Amarillo lupomax dry hop

Whirlfoc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

Imperial Juice gen 1

75:225 sulfate chloride

O.G. = 1.070
F.G. = 1.019
ABV = 6.7%

1691532879135.png

I decided to try a few newish things on this batch.
1. later boil additions
2. reduce WP to 4 oz and increase DH to 14 oz
3. dry hop after soft crashing without raising temp back up
4. using whirlfloc and gelatin to reduce hop burn
5. bump CaCL up to 225

Clearest NEIPA I’ve ever brewed, probably not passable for a hazy. Pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma. Pine, strawberry, pineapple, mango taste. Finishes just slightly bitter. The flavors are definitely pretty cool and kind of unique. Mouthfeel is medium but comes across crisp and almost slightly drying. Overall its decent and interesting IPA but I wouldn't call it a NEIPA, more like a fuller bodied modern west coast IPA.

For what its worth I've brewed probably 30 or 40 of these and have gotten medals for 6 of them, but most of those medals were for recipes that used way less hops and no soft crashing or fining agents. Those NEIPAs were really good but not perfect so I've been putting a lot of time into experimenting on how to make them better. It seems like every new technique I try makes no difference or even sends me in the wrong direction. Bit of a rant, sorry. I still wonder what I can actually do to improve, but my next batch is definitely going to be a 'back to basics' NEIPA.

Not so hazy IPA report:

9 lb 2 row
5 lb pils
3 lb flaked wheat
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

4 oz Strata dry hop
2 oz El Dorado dry hop
2 oz Amarillo dry hop

Whirlfoc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

Imperial Juice gen 1

O.G. = 1.070
F.G. = 1.019
ABV = 6.7%

View attachment 826700

1. later boil additions
5. bump CaCL up to 225

Clearest NEIPA I’ve ever brewed, probably not passable for a hazy. Pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma. Pine, strawberry, pineapple, mango taste. Finishes just slightly bitter. The flavors are definitely pretty cool and kind of unique. Mouthfeel is medium but comes across crisp and almost slightly drying. Overall its decent and interesting IPA but I wouldn't call it a NEIPA, more like a fuller bodied modern west coast IPA.

For what its worth I've brewed probably 30 or 40 of these and have gotten medals for 6 of them, but most of those medals were for recipes that used way less hops and no soft crashing or fining agents. Those NEIPAs were really good but not perfect so I've been putting a lot of time into experimenting on how to make them better. It seems like every new technique I try makes no difference or even sends me in the wrong direction. Bit of a rant, sorry. I still wonder what I can actually do to improve, but my next batch is definitely going to be a 'back to basics' NEIPA.
Yeah, def looks more the process of a modern west coast ipa. Beer sounds like it should produce a nice “clearer” beer. Sounds and looks good to me

Last edited:
Looks like a very good "Juicy IPA". (In my mind "modern west coast IPA" means the trend toward 100% Pilsner grist IPAs). I am a bit surprised that beer does not have more haze given the large amount of Wheat, use of Imperial Juice and the amount of hops. Would the gelatin have that big of an impact?

I helped to brew a batch of an Hazy IPA for a local brewery that is know for Hazy IPAs. This is their own recipe, and each time I have seen it on tap it has dropped clear after a few weeks. This is at a pilot location, and they brew most of their Hazies at a central brewery. I believe the yeast they use is a blend of London III and Chico, but we used a pitch that came directly from the main brewery and it is the same blend they use for their Hazies. I have wondered if it is just something about the equipment at the pilot brewery.

Yeah, def looks more the process of a modern west coast ipa. Beer sounds like it should produce a nice “clearer” beer. Sounds and looks good to me
How so? Gelatin is more of a west coast process, but even that is something I picked up on this thread to try to speed up conditioning time. My west coast recipe uses pretty different grain, water, and yeast.

Looks like a very good "Juicy IPA". (In my mind "modern west coast IPA" means the trend toward 100% Pilsner grist IPAs). I am a bit surprised that beer does not have more haze given the large amount of Wheat, use of Imperial Juice and the amount of hops. Would the gelatin have that big of an impact?

I helped to brew a batch of an Hazy IPA for a local brewery that is know for Hazy IPAs. This is their own recipe, and each time I have seen it on tap it has dropped clear after a few weeks. This is at a pilot location, and they brew most of their Hazies at a central brewery. I believe the yeast they use is a blend of London III and Chico, but we used a pitch that came directly from the main brewery and it is the same blend they use for their Hazies. I have wondered if it is just something about the equipment at the pilot brewery.
I think you nailed it with the term Juicy IPA. I was definitely surprised by the appearance as well, but also how it much it seemingly impacted the flavor and mouthfeel. It's weirdly crisp for finishing at 1.019.

How so? Gelatin is more of a west coast process, but even that is something I picked up on this thread to try to speed up conditioning time. My west coast recipe uses pretty different grain, water, and yeast.
Yeah I just meant the specific process of using the gelatin. I personally think cold side finings have no purpose in a hazy unless you’re using it prior to dryhoping. I know people will disagree.

I also believe that some people do not get their finings evenly mixed and their beers don’t clear much so they incorrectly assume that it won’t clear a hazy but when it’s mixed evenly, it certainly will and will pull aroma and flavor compounds out

Last edited:
Im very surprised by that beers appearance! Wheat, London ale three, and a huge DH yields very reliable haze in my experience. I guess you could have had some oats.
The flaked wheat was supposed to be flaked oats lol, I scooped from the wrong bin by mistake.

dry hop after soft crashing without raising temp back up
This might have been the key here IMHO. What temp did you crash to and then DH at? I typically crash to 50 and keep it there for 36 hrs before letting it freerise back to 56-57 and then DH. Letting as much yeast drop out to the bottom as you can seems to have been the key for me. The beer will clarify a good bit at this time too. But the DH will haze it up a good bit. Just thinking that even though you DHd 14oz of hops, perhaps the yeast dragged down that haze so to speak. So it seems this is perhaps more process driven rather than grain bill comp IMHO. In my limited experience the Haze seems to come primarily from the DH.

The flaked wheat was supposed to be flaked oats lol, I scooped from the wrong bin by mistake.
While Ive never used flaked wheat, I've done hazy with only white wheat malt as the adjunct + base malts. It stayed hazy to the bitter end. Not sure if this is the reason for it being clear

This might have been the key here IMHO. What temp did you crash to and then DH at? I typically crash to 50 and keep it there for 36 hrs before letting it freerise back to 56-57 and then DH. Letting as much yeast drop out to the bottom as you can seems to have been the key for me. The beer will clarify a good bit at this time too. But the DH will haze it up a good bit. Just thinking that even though you DHd 14oz of hops, perhaps the yeast dragged down that haze so to speak. So it seems this is perhaps more process driven rather than grain bill comp IMHO. In my limited experience the Haze seems to come primarily from the DH.
I soft crashed to 60 for 48 hours and added the hops at that temp. I didn't want to go much cooler because I've had hops completely drop out in the 50's and not add much aroma.

I used to soft crash to 50 and let it rise back to 60 before adding hops, but learned from this thread that doing so could kickstart fermentation again and be counterproductive. Results were good with that method though, and they were also good before I started soft crashing at all.

using whirlfloc and gelatin to reduce hop burn
I just now noticed this. gelatin? Ive used whirlfloc in every beer Ive brewed with no bad effects on haze. But I've never used gelatin which is also a clarifier right? Didn't know it had any effect on hop burn. Interesting.

This might have been the key here IMHO. What temp did you crash to and then DH at? I typically crash to 50 and keep it there for 36 hrs before letting it freerise back to 56-57 and then DH. Letting as much yeast drop out to the bottom as you can seems to have been the key for me. The beer will clarify a good bit at this time too. But the DH will haze it up a good bit. Just thinking that even though you DHd 14oz of hops, perhaps the yeast dragged down that haze so to speak. So it seems this is perhaps more process driven rather than grain bill comp IMHO. In my limited experience the Haze seems to come primarily from the
https://omegayeast.com/haze

Been a bit since I checked into this thread but just transferred my latest hazy (“In My Tree”) to serving keg and at least partially quick carbed it. Initial taste is a hair harsh but when it settles out this is going to be my best one yet. Did a classic citra mosaic galaxy this time.

View attachment 826801
You have a gigantic hand :D

This is probably more for the new WCIPA thread but as we are discussing it here now I'll bring it up.

I have almost zero experience with fining agents.
I tried one time with an expired pack of gelatin that didn't work very well.
I don't have access to Biofine so I picked up a product from Young's called clear it.
It's a 2-step process of kiesolsol followed by liquid gelatin but it says on the package mix thoroughly.
This sounds like a source of oxidation for me or is there some way to mix it and avoiding oxygen?
Or mixing is not really neccessary as long as it's spread evenly over the top?? 🤔

Not so hazy IPA report:

9 lb 2 row
5 lb pils
3 lb flaked wheat
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

4 oz Strata dry hop
2 oz El Dorado dry hop
2 oz Amarillo dry hop

Whirlfoc 10 min
Yeast nutrient 10 min

Imperial Juice gen 1

O.G. = 1.070
F.G. = 1.019
ABV = 6.7%

View attachment 826700

1. later boil additions
5. bump CaCL up to 225

I don't use gelatin because I'm vegetarian but I've biofined my NEIPAs before and had minimal reduction in haze, most of them stayed completely turbid actually.

Been a bit since I checked into this thread but just transferred my latest hazy (“In My Tree”) to serving keg and at least partially quick carbed it. Initial taste is a hair harsh but when it settles out this is going to be my best one yet. Did a classic citra mosaic galaxy this time.

View attachment 826801
where'd you get the galaxy from? Any notes of "bad galaxy" (plastic/peanuts/extreme astrigency) or were you pretty happy with the lot you got?

where'd you get the galaxy from? Any notes of "bad galaxy" (plastic/peanuts/extreme astrigency) or were you pretty happy with the lot you got?
Got them from Yakima Valley and was a bit nervous from comments in this thread. Smell was good though. I did keep use a little less ratio of Galaxy to the others but still 3 oz in the DH (none in whirlpool).

I didn't notice any bad flavors in that initial taste. The flavor was very much like you would expect form a NEIPA. Lots of citrus and a bit of dank flavor. There was a bit of astringency/harshness to it, but I have found that isn't uncommon right away. It's not fully carbed yet and on my last couple it took a day or two for the harshness to mellow out a bit. Even as is it was plenty good.

This was the malt bill and water profile from “even sharks need water” it’s really good, light and fluffy. Different than what I usually prefer which is 30-40% oat - thick and chewy. I used all Nelson and riwaka which was interesting. It’s ALL sweet fruit - ripe honey dew melon and even banana. Goood but missing some hoppy balance, honestly I wouldn’t use just this combo again.

Edit: But I could see it being a great fruity base to add some interest on top. (Simcoe, Columbus, chinook or others)

I Followed the recipe put out by Verdant pretty much, except upped the hopping rates a bit. WP was 4 oz riwaka 2 oz Nelson. DH we 4oz riwaka 8 oz Nelson.
IMG_4838.jpeg
IMG_4841.jpeg

Last edited:
This was the malt bill and water profile from “even sharks need water” it’s really good, light and fluffy. Different than what I usually prefer which is 30-40% oat - thick and chewy. I used all Nelson and riwaka which was interesting. It’s ALL sweet fruit - ripe honey dew melon and even banana. Goood but missing some hoppy balance, I wouldn’t use just this combo again.
Nelson/Riwaka is one of my favorites. My heart breaks lol

While Ive never used flaked wheat, I've done hazy with only white wheat malt as the adjunct + base malts. It stayed hazy to the bitter end. Not sure if this is the reason for it being clear
I find flaked adjuncts drop out in a neipa. I don't use them at all anymore. Straight 2 Row/Pilsner and White Wheat. Sometimes a touch of Carafoam, but I actually think it's unnecessary given the amount of wheat. I used upwards of 25% Flaked Oats/Wheat and still had the beer clear up by the end.

I find flaked adjuncts drop out in a neipa. I don't use them at all anymore. Straight 2 Row/Pilsner and White Wheat. Sometimes a touch of Carafoam, but I actually think it's unnecessary given the amount of wheat. I used upwards of 25% Flaked Oats/Wheat and still had the beer clear up by the end.
In my personal experience, it’s more so the dry hop schedule that affects the haze stability rather than the grain bill. Dry hopping during active fermentation will act as a clearing agent. I only dry hop after fermentation is complete.

In my personal experience, it’s more so the dry hop schedule that affects the haze stability rather than the grain bill. Dry hopping during active fermentation will act as a clearing agent. I only dry hop after fermentation is complete.
Flaked malts actually can cause clearing versus malted grains Since flaked grains are inmalted their protein chains are longer, and therefore have more weight. Since they have more weight, they tend to bind to more polyphenols during fermentation, gaining even more weight, eventually they will drop out due to this

I too only dry hop after fermentation is complete. Soft crash to 50F for 24-48 hours, DH 24-48 hours, then package.

Grain bill, hop selection and yeast, IMO, are 3 big components of stable haze. For instance, for the same grain bill and yeast, Citra and NZ hops, especially, stay hazier than Mosaic, by themselves. Anything flaked for me drops quicker than malted wheat. YMMV, but that's been my observation over the last 5-6 years of tweaking this recipe.

A local brewery confirmed they were having issues of clearing when using heavy amounts of flaked adjuncts. They've since cut way back.

Flaked malts actually can cause clearing versus malted grains Since flaked grains are inmalted their protein chains are longer, and therefore have more weight. Since they have more weight, they tend to bind to more polyphenols during fermentation, gaining even more weight, eventually they will drop out due to this
I rarely use flaked malts in this style , had a couple of batches that oxidized. But I totally agree with you.

I too only dry hop after fermentation is complete. Soft crash to 50F for 24-48 hours, DH 24-48 hours, then package.

Grain bill, hop selection and yeast, IMO, are 3 big components of stable haze. For instance, for the same grain bill and yeast, Citra and NZ hops, especially, stay hazier than Mosaic, by themselves. Anything flaked for me drops quicker than malted wheat. YMMV, but that's been my observation over the last 5-6 years of tweaking this recipe.

A local brewery confirmed they were having issues of clearing when using heavy amounts of flaked adjuncts. They've since cut way back.
Totally agree.

Just tapped my newest hazy ipa at 8.2%. Simcoe cryo and Nelson in the whirlpool and Freestyle Nelson and Nelson CGX as the dryhop. Great beer!View attachment 827004
Looks killer - can we got some details? Numbers, percentages, rates, times etc? I feel like I’ve made so many iterations of my beers with so many little experiments I kind of loose track of what’s great!

Back