New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be silly, but something I do when im trying to decide on what hop combos to use from my inventory is to just type different combinations into Untappd and see what ratings the beers with them generally have.
That’s not a bad idea. How do you search by hops in Untappd?

That’s not a bad idea. How do you search by hops in Untappd?
I just type the combos into the search bar see what comes up. Or alternatively, go through the beers of breweries that I love and see what they’ve put together.

It might be silly, but something I do when im trying to decide on what hop combos to use from my inventory is to just type different combinations into Untappd and see what ratings the beers with them generally have.
That's exactly what I did! I found some 4.1's for El Dorado/Strata which was my original idea. That could be interesting because the two hops share very few descriptors. El Dorado: pineapple, pear, watermelon, stone fruit. Strata: strawberry, passion fruit, grapefruit, bubblegum, sage.

I do like the idea of going into a well respected brewery's untappd page and searching specific hops for ideas though, I'm going to see what inspiration I can get that way.

Random question: Has anyone tried doing a 3 week primary (kegging at 21 days) with a NEIPA? Are there any drawbacks to this if soft crashing, dry hopping, and cold crashing just before kegging?

Random question: Has anyone tried doing a 3 week primary (kegging at 21 days) with a NEIPA? Are there any drawbacks to this if soft crashing, dry hopping, and cold crashing just before kegging?
As long as your good about o2 and you wait until the final days to dryhop, no issue

Hi guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Great thread btw!
I'm hoping you'll help me wrap my head around issue that's bugging me for quite some time.

For the background I've been brewing for 8 years, won a few competitions, one of my NEIPA even scored 50 points.
Two years ago I've switched my cold side process from brew buckets to unitanks.
And that's what's im strugling with. Despite big DH addition beers seems to have muddled hop aroma

Let me describe my process for my last two batches (2x Double NEIPA) :

1) whirpool 1oz/1gal - targeting 6 gallon in uni. Fermentation with A38 + ALDC

2) after fermentation and diacetyl brake i soft crash beer to 11 c (52f), wait 48h and dump/harvest yeast.

3) at the tail end of fermentation I close blow off and let the pressure build up to around 6 psi.

4) Add dry hop via Brewtools dry hopper - total of 12 oz in 2x6 oz charges 24h apart

5)I rouse the hops from the bottom port for 2 days with co2

6) drop DH after 2/3 days and set cold crash - 1 c under pressure - 10 psi

7) close transfer to co2 purged keg via brewtools inline filter

The beers are fine no signs of oxidation but it seems that aroma i somewhat muddled not as bright as I want.
Could it be that with my current setup I'm overextracting hop aroma?
Beers smell super fruity after 1st DH, but after second one the aroma seems to be worst.

Most recent batch was Nelson/Citra Lupo/Riwaka combo - the aroma was fine up to 2 weeks in the keg, week 3 onwards - its a general fruit salad smell.

Attachments

• 20220819_152905(0).jpg
    20220819_152905(0).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi guys,
I'm hoping you'll help me wrap my head around issue that's bugging me for quite some time.

For the background I've been brewing for 8 years, won a few competitions, one of my NEIPA even scored 50 points.
And that's what's im strugling with. Despite big DH addition beers seems to have muddled hop aroma

2) after fermentation and diacetyl brake i soft crash beer to 11 c (52f), wait 48h and dump/harvest yeast.

3) at the tail end of fermentation I close blow off and let the pressure build up to around 6 psi.

4) Add dry hop via Brewtools dry hopper - total of 12 oz in 2x6 oz charges 24h apart

The beers are fine no signs of oxidation but it seems that aroma i somewhat muddled not as bright as I want.
Beers smell super fruity after 1st DH, but after second one the aroma seems to be worst.

Most recent batch was Nelson/Citra Lupo/Riwaka combo - the aroma was fine up to 2 weeks in the keg, week 3 onwards - its a general fruit salad smell.
The colder you go the harder you need to rouse, I'd up the temps see if you notice a difference.

Tried that once - the beer had really harsh mouthfell, and imo i blew hop aroma into the head space. I try to avoid rousing too much since than.
Also I've put valve between end tc and 90 to get more hops in tank and not in the elbow.

Tried that once - the beer had really harsh mouthfell, and imo i blew hop aroma into the head space. I try to avoid rousing too much since than.
Also I've put valve between end tc and 90 to get more hops in tank and not in the elbow.
If you dont have enough aroma you are not extracting it, with colder temps it takes longer and you can speed it up by rousing, the little bit you blowoff is more then made up with the amount you gain.
Its a balancing trick between time temp and movement.

If you dont have enough aroma you are not extracting it, with colder temps it takes longer and you can speed it up by rousing, the little bit you blowoff is more then made up with the amount you gain.
Its a balancing trick between time temp and movement.
Also I believe with smaller tanks you are better off doing multiple small shots and burps vs 1 long one.

Here's a crazy idea: how about grinding up the hop pellets in a coffee grinder before throwing them in? Maybe that would eliminate the extraction problems at cold temperatures?

Last edited:
Anybody use safale s33 for a hazy and have good results? Wanted to brew on a whim tomorrow with buddies and it's the only yeast I could find remotely close

Used it once...just once. Very poor attenuation left mine way to sweet for me.
Damn the attenuation is the reason I grabbed it. I'll mash around 150 and see what I get also gonna keep it around 67 for fermentation heard it can get banana at higher Temps

Last edited:
Anybody use safale s33 for a hazy and have good results? Wanted to brew on a whim tomorrow with buddies and it's the only yeast I could find remotely close
S33 is Belgian isn’t it? Why waste a brew day and pitch an incorrect for style yeast. Your better off mashing high and throwing us05.

Granted that I have 3 kids 4 years old and under, but I’ll never waste my time, money, and/or opportunity to make a great beer by sacrificing on yeast

S33 is Belgian isn’t it?
Its marketed that way yes. Several peeps in the Treehouse thread were using it in a blend at one point with S04 I think which is why I tried it once myself. However, not sure where on HBT it is but Im pretty sure that the origins of S33 is NOT belgian at all IIRC.

S33 is Belgian isn’t it? Why waste a brew day and pitch an incorrect for style yeast. Your better off mashing high and throwing us05.

Granted that I have 3 kids 4 years old and under, but I’ll never waste my time, money, and/or opportunity to make a great beer by sacrificing on yeast
05 has over attenuated way too much for me and always stays moderately clear for me. They were selling s33 as a tropical aroma hazy yeast according to morebeers description

Its marketed that way yes. Several peeps in the Treehouse thread were using it in a blend at one point with S04 I think which is why I tried it once myself. However, not sure where on HBT it is but Im pretty sure that the origins of S33 is NOT belgian at all IIRC.
Yeah and none of their beers taste anything like treehouse lol I’m going to say if the manufacturer puts it out as a Belgian strain, chances are they believe it can throw phenols

**** maybe I should just grab some s04. Dgallo have you actually used s05 for a hazy and had good success?

I have Voss kveik on hand too dry but that's another yeast I've had trouble building haze with in the past and over attenuation. Really wish my lhbs had verdant ipa in stock would have made this much easier

Last edited:
I’m going to say if the manufacturer puts it out as a Belgian strain, chances are they believe it can throw phenols
Not true- there's plenty of Belgian yeasts that don't throw phenols, whereas eg far more British yeasts are phenolic than the US yeastbanks would have you believe. S-33 seems to be a derivative of the old EDME homebrew yeast - which makes it the Fermentis equivalent of Windsor, it's definitely British in character.

Not true- there's plenty of Belgian yeasts that don't throw phenols, whereas eg far more British yeasts are phenolic than the US yeastbanks would have you believe. S-33 seems to be a derivative of the old EDME homebrew yeast - which makes it the Fermentis equivalent of Windsor, it's definitely British in character.
Well one thing is for sure, I don't remember ANY resemblance of Belgian character from that yeast when I used it in a NEIPA. Can't imagine ruining (IMHO) a belgian dubbel with this yeast that fermentis says its good for.

Thanks for the info. That’s terrible marketing on their part then.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. That’s terrible marketing on their part then.
Not really. I have no doubt that some Belgian breweries are using S-33 and thus it can be said to be a "Belgian" yeast. It would be entirely in keeping with the deep links between British and Belgian brewing, which are ignored by people who mistakenly think that "Belgian = phenolic" and "British=non-phenolic".

Hi guys,

How much CO2 rousing are you doing? Over-rousing will strip aroma. It’s not talked about enough… Lastly, when polyphenols/protein drop, flavor/aroma become more clear. Adding fining agents will help this happen faster.

Back