New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had a Treehouse beer for a long time. A friend just gave me some fresh Haze. I have to say that I don't really like the hop character a ton. It has a very kind of geranium character that sometimes comes in hoppy beers. Is that what their hoppy beers taste like now? What causes that? I've never made a beer with that flavor.

I haven't had a Treehouse beer for a long time. A friend just gave me some fresh Haze. I have to say that I don't really like the hop character a ton. It has a very kind of geranium character that sometimes comes in hoppy beers. Is that what their hoppy beers taste like now? What causes that? I've never made a beer with that flavor.
I hate to be that guy, but their beer hasn't been the same for awhile. Haze was my favorite beer for a long time, but it's been lacking lately. Julius too. Almost seems watered down.

I hate to be that guy, but their beer hasn't been the same for awhile. Haze was my favorite beer for a long time, but it's been lacking lately. Julius too. Almost seems watered down.
Is it there quality went down or everyone else’s went up? I always ask myself that question.

I do feel that it certainly has lost its wonder and I haven’t felt the need to trade for it in a while.

Is it there quality went down or everyone else’s went up? I always ask myself that question.

I do feel that it certainly has lost its wonder and I haven’t felt the need to trade for it in a while.
That's why I said I hate to be that guy lol. I used to stand in line. I get it. But I could care less to take the trip anymore. I enjoy the environment, but I have no desire to "get the haul".

Quality has definitely gone down. Once in awhile they’ll put out a beer that is astonishingly good, and it’s a reminder of what their beer tasted like years ago. IMO when they put out a good batch it’s better than anything else on the market. By far. Unfortunately most of the time it’s missing that signature TH yeast profile or it tastes like a vegetable.

I was having this same discussion with a couple friends recently. I have no idea if their quality went down or not, but I'm certain that many breweries across the country and beyond have not only caught up, but in some, (many?), cases surpassed them.

Riwaka can be awsome as a single hop if you get good Riwaka with not too much diesel notes.

Quality has definitely gone down. Once in awhile they’ll put out a beer that is astonishingly good, and it’s a reminder of what their beer tasted like years ago. IMO when they put out a good batch it’s better than anything else on the market. By far. Unfortunately most of the time it’s missing that signature TH yeast profile or it tastes like a vegetable.

I was having this same discussion with a couple friends recently. I have no idea if their quality went down or not, but I'm certain that many breweries across the country and beyond have not only caught up, but in some, (many?), cases surpassed them.
Nate said they literally taste every batch and don't put out inferior product, but at this point I just don't know. My palate can not be that good, and I feel like an ass saying that their beer doesn't live up to what it was, but I truly feel that way.

Nate said they literally taste every batch and don't put out inferior product, but at this point I just don't know. My palate can not be that good, and I feel like an ass saying that their beer doesn't live up to what it was, but I truly feel that way.
I believe this was said awhile ago, and in a time when he was vocal about brewing every batch himself.

Green, Julius, and Congress Street when I first had them in 2015 were life changing. Part of the reason why I got into homebrewing. Now, those beers aren't even a shell of what they used to be.

it does have a kind of vegetal taste. that's the geranium note i was talking about. it's a very strong perfumy, vegetal kind of character. Maybe it comes from dry hopping with hops high in geraniol or something.

Green, Julius, and Congress Street when I first had them in 2015 were life changing. Part of the reason why I got into homebrewing. Now, those beers aren't even a shell of what they used to be.
Congress St was a game changer around 2015. Now I could care less about it. Sounds horrible to say!

Anybody try 2022 cashmere yet? On sale for 5 bucks a lb rn on YVH which seems too low?

Last edited:
It’s the 2021 (edit: 2020) for $5. I had it in a commercial lean WCIPA the other day (w Idaho 7 and mosaic) and I was really impressed with it. Had a vanilla sweet coconut thing worked really nicely, reminded me of sabro when its done well.

Last edited:
It’s the 2021 for $5. I had it in a commercial lean WCIPA the other day (w Idaho 7 and mosaic) and I was really impressed with it. Had a vanilla sweet coconut thing worked really nicely, reminded me of sabro when its done well.
Actually it is the 2020 that is $5 per lb and the 2021 is for $10 per lb.

For those that have not see it, here is the YVH Black Friday page:
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/pages/bfcm2022

Congress St was a game changer around 2015. Now I could care less about it. Sounds horrible to say!
Congress St was unbelievably good back in the day. I gave up on Trillium years ago. I thought they were the best for awhile. Other Half did Congress St for a freaky Friday and it was amazing. Sad that someone else makes your beer better than you do.

Congress St was unbelievably good back in the day. I gave up on Trillium years ago. I thought they were the best for awhile. Other Half did Congress St for a freaky Friday and it was amazing. Sad that someone else makes your beer better than you do.
I was a bigger fan of vicinity st. but I agree. I thought their yeast profile was better than anyone at the time yet it still let hops shine. JC was even a HBT member which for me elevated them even more lol

Trillium has popped up at a distro place around me in reading pa. They got cans of Congress street and the whatever under whatever under whatever under whatever pales. Was kinda shocked to see it

I get trillium in southern CA pretty consistently for some reason for the last ear or so. I’ve had a half dozen all solid, nothing great. Other half made it out here only once that I know of, also solid (it was a 4.5% hazy) so didn’t seem like a fair assessment.

Just had a dry hop fail using Coastal Haze. Fermentation was complete. I chilled down to 55F for 3 days. Dry hopped this morning and this evening I had to put on a blowoff, as I think it kicked off fermentation again. I guess 55F isn't cold enough for coastal haze!

Just had a dry hop fail using Coastal Haze. Fermentation was complete. I chilled down to 55F for 3 days. Dry hopped this morning and this evening I had to put on a blowoff, as I think it kicked off fermentation again. I guess 55F isn't cold enough for coastal haze!
Whoa. I use Coastal Haze all the time, and I've never had a re-fermentation. I used to DH at 65F, but I've been soft crashing to at least 50F lately. Most of the time to 40F, to make sure it's all out of suspension. How long was your primary?

Man, I just had some tree house over thanksgiving. Julius, Juice Machine, Moment of Clarity, Human Condition, Trail, and a few others. I still think its fantastic. And its not just their IPAs. I remember going to Monson and being told I could buy 4 cans of Haze, 3 of doppleganger, etc., and it was several trips before they finally had julius available. Now I look at their menu and its overwhelming.

I go about once a year. I wouldn't trust my taste buds to notice a difference between a beer I drank this year and one I drank a year ago. There's so much that goes into my impression of a beer, anyway.

Man, I just had some tree house over thanksgiving. Julius, Juice Machine, Moment of Clarity, Human Condition, Trail, and a few others. I still think its fantastic. And its not just their IPAs. I remember going to Monson and being told I could buy 4 cans of Haze, 3 of doppleganger, etc., and it was several trips before they finally had julius available. Now I look at their menu and its overwhelming.
This post was better in Monson.

Went in pretty good on the YVH black Friday sale. Got some lupomax citra and cashmere and finally picked up a lb of hallertau blanc since I wanted to mess with that for a bit now.

Whoa. I use Coastal Haze all the time, and I've never had a re-fermentation. I used to DH at 65F, but I've been soft crashing to at least 50F lately. Most of the time to 40F, to make sure it's all out of suspension. How long was your primary?
Actually, it looks pretty dead this morning. I guess it might have just been a ton of CO2 coming out of solution? That doesn't usually happen so much for me, but I did crash it down for like 3-4 days under pressure, so maybe it just had some stored up CO2 that came out.

Actually, it looks pretty dead this morning. I guess it might have just been a ton of CO2 coming out of solution? That doesn't usually happen so much for me, but I did crash it down for like 3-4 days under pressure, so maybe it just had some stored up CO2 that came out.
That's most likely it. I do get some bubbling after dry hopping, but it doesn't last very long. Coastal Haze has been my go-to neipa yeast for awhile now. Love it.

That’s most likely it. Once the pellets open up, there’s so many nucleation points. If it were hop creep, it would take a day or so to take off and then Continue for 3 days or so

I've been wanting to revisit dry hopping early during fermentation. I haven't really done it for a few years and I know its mostly out of favor in the thread.

But some of the best breweries around me are North Park BC and Alvarado St - they both get a fruity hop pungency on the aroma that really stands out, some of the best I've had! So I've been reading up on their process and interestingly both publicly talk about dry hop products at the start of fermentation. NPBC suggests dissolving incognito in the fermenter before yeast pitch and Alv St likes knockout hops (It sounds like he means adding hops to fermenter before pitching) with aromazyme.

Cool techniques that I'm excited to try out. I've got some incognito and I think that's gonna be the best way to use it for a hazy. Also, I think I'll use 2 oz of citra lupomax at yeast pitch in my next batch.

So sorry no results to report at this point but I thought ya'll might be interested in trying out some of these too. I plan to still dry hop again after cold crash in both of these cases.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to revisit dry hopping early during fermentation. I haven't really done it for a few years and I know its mostly out of favor in the thread.

But some of the best breweries around me are North Park BC and Alvarado St - they both get a fruity hop pungency on the aroma that really stands out, some of the best I've had! So I've been reading up on their process and interestingly both publicly talk about dry hop products at the start of fermentation. NPBC is suggests dissolving incognito in the fermenter before yeast pitch and Alv St like knockout hops (It sounds like he means adding hops to fermenter before pitching) with aromazyme.

Cool techniques that I'm excited to try out. I've got some incognito and I think that's gonna be the best way to use it for a hazy. Also, I think I'll use 2 oz of citra lupomax at yeast pitch in my next batch.

So sorry no results to report at this point but I thought ya'll might be interested in trying out some of these too. I plan to still dry hop again after cold crash in both of these cases.
I’m assuming they feel comfortable doing that due to low polyphenol content in the spectrum/incognito and they are using the fermentation as a way to distribute the product in the beer.

I like north park, I think there modern west coast beers are great. Def interested to see how it comes out

Last edited:
Latest all Citra, Coastal Haze. Best one yet 🍻 Soft crashed to 40F, dry hopped and let free rise to 50F for 48 hrs.
20221128_224511.jpg

Latest all Citra, Coastal Haze. Best one yet 🍻 Soft crashed to 40F, dry hopped and let free rise to 50F for 48 hrs. View attachment 806592
Looks delicious!! Curious, what's the reason for letting it rise back up to 50° for 48 hours after dry hopping?

I recently read something by Jannish where he dry hopped at 39° I think, but kept it at that temperature.

I was just planning on giving that a try on the pale ale I'm going to brew. As a test I've got three empty kegs "chained" together, waiting. I just need to find a day to brew. Was going to be Tuesday but that got postponed. Next possible open day is Friday.

Looks delicious!! Curious, what's the reason for letting it rise back up to 50° for 48 hours after dry hopping?

I recently read something by Jannish where he dry hopped at 39° I think, but kept it at that temperature.

I was just planning on giving that a try on the pale ale I'm going to brew. As a test I've got three empty kegs "chained" together, waiting. I just need to find a day to brew. Was going to be Tuesday but that got postponed. Next possible open day is Friday.
Trying to keep hops in suspension and speed up extraction a bit. Extraction happens slower at lower temps, but the hops fall out of suspension faster. I don't have the ability to circulate hops without disturbing trub, so this is the best I can do at the moment.

But some of the best breweries around me are North Park BC and Alvarado St - they both get a fruity hop pungency on the aroma that really stands out, some of the best I've had! So I've been reading up on their process and interestingly both publicly talk about dry hop products at the start of fermentation. NPBC suggests dissolving incognito in the fermenter before yeast pitch and Alv St likes knockout hops (It sounds like he means adding hops to fermenter before pitching) with aromazyme.

A year old now, but Kelsey discusses his process a bit here: North Park
I haven’t listened to it in a while, but the pod may contain a few nuggets. I do recall his method was initially based on practical considerations of mixing the incognito into the wort post-fermentation.

So, I haven't used bru1 yet but I got some now and wanna use it in my next neipa, my last one was simcoe citra nectaron hot side and citra nectaron cold side. I currently have citra, mosaic, galaxy, and bru1 on hand so was thinking a combo of those. Any suggestions on where to use, or not to use the bru1?

So, I haven't used bru1 yet but I got some now and wanna use it in my next neipa, my last one was simcoe citra nectaron hot side and citra nectaron cold side. I currently have citra, mosaic, galaxy, and bru1 on hand so was thinking a combo of those. Any suggestions on where to use, or not to use the bru1?

Premium Sauce

I’m assuming they feel comfortable doing that due to low polyphenol content in the spectrum/incognito and they are using the fermentation as a way to distribute the product in the beer.

I like north park, I think there modern west coast beers are great. Def interested to see how it comes out

Green cheek makes the best mordern west coast ipa that I’ve tried. I don’t know if you had a chance to try them but definitely should check them out.

Green cheek makes the best mordern west coast ipa that I’ve tried. I don’t know if you had a chance to try them but definitely should check them out.
I’ve only ever had their haziest. I personally like them much better than monkish. Monkish always has some level of astringency that I don’t particularly care for.

Thanks for the heads up about their modern west coast ipas. I’ll look in some of the groups and trade for them

Last edited:
Has anyone added extra dry hops to the keg in a mesh bag? I just ruined a beer doing this. I dry hopped in my conical with the first charged for a few days. Then chilled and dumped the hops. I then added 10oz of hops in a mesh sack to a completely purged keg and closed transferred the beer. Kegging went perfect. The next day I took a pour to check and the beer is brown. I haven’t oxidized a beer in YEARS. I’m thinking it was the mesh bag that was sanitized with starsan. Any ideas? I was convinced this beer was going to be a banger!

Back