New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dgallo I saw a certain honorable mention for a pale ale in a local competition I judged in over the weekend. Unfortunately I was at a different table, wish I could have tried it!
Thanks man! Looks like there was an error at our table. The site and presentation have me listed at HM but my score sheet and cover of my score sheet show I was awarded 3rd place. I emailed them for clarification and waiting to find what the final consensus is. Either way I’m really happy that I was able to score well with an all Columbus pale ale using my own homegrown hops (only equivalent to using 4.25 oz of t90).

What tables did you judge?

i really like using it in the hop stand. i use around 2/3oz / gal. probably less would be ok. that's just what i started with and really enjoyed it.
That seems like it would be super high. It says it's highly concentrated. I was hoping for like a 2oz DH instead of say 6-8oz T90 pellets. I guess I'm dreaming...

That seems like it would be super high. It says it's highly concentrated. I was hoping for like a 2oz DH instead of say 6-8oz T90 pellets. I guess I'm dreaming...
i mean, you might be right. i've only used it like 3 times since it's not always available, and i used it in the hop stand. i don't know if it would work in dry hop. maybe. my memory of it was that it was very thick and resinous. it's worth a try i guess. i might have been using way more than i "need"

i mean, you might be right. i've only used it like 3 times since it's not always available, and i used it in the hop stand. i don't know if it would work in dry hop. maybe. my memory of it was that it was very thick and resinous. it's worth a try i guess. i might have been using way more than i "need"
Just trying to save money on the DH lol.

My last Citra Neipa was a 6oz DH, which I'm vey happy with, but I'd love to cut down the $ and the absorption.

Thanks man! Looks like there was an error at our table. The site and presentation have me listed at HM but my score sheet and cover of my score sheet show I was awarded 3rd place. I emailed them for clarification and waiting to find what the final consensus is. Either way I’m really happy that I was able to score well with an all Columbus pale ale using my own homegrown hops (only equivalent to using 4.25 oz of t90).

What tables did you judge?
Oh nice! I judged Pale Bitter European, and American Porter & Stout.

Thats just cryo but not pellitized, pain in the butt to work with
yeah, i was worried about using it in the dry hop. it's so clumpy and resinous. i thought it might just sit there, especially if it's going into cool/cold beer. I'd use it in the hop stand. I think it might be stronger than cryo too.

yeah, i was worried about using it in the dry hop. it's so clumpy and resinous. i thought it might just sit there, especially if it's going into cool/cold beer. I'd use it in the hop stand. I think it might be stronger than cryo too.
Looknat the AA value you'll have an idea about strength vs cryo pellet or pellets

BTW, if you have not seen it, this post from Mike Tonsmeire has some interesting "data" about hops and combos. It is an analysis of Untapped ratings of beers from Sapwood Cellars. I would not put too much weight into the analysis given that it is based on Untapped ratings, but I thought it was an interesting glimpse into some of the hops and hop combos that are performing for Sapwood.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2022/11/best-best-hops-according-to-untappd.html

Last edited:
Anyone brew with 22’ Galaxy? I see there’s a flash sale for 14.50/lb and interested but I’ve read some comments about “nutty” Galaxy. Anyone have any from YVH this season and have good experience?

Last edited:
My jaw dropped when I saw the price. But then I thought, “maybe it sucks this year?” I have a bunch in my fridge I haven’t tried yet.

Last edited:
No experience. my jaw dropped when I saw the price. But then I thought, “maybe it sucks this year?”
That was my thought as well. I also wondered if maybe the last few years of subpar Galaxy really hurt the demand and they were sitting a ton of it and wanted to try to move it

I sent YVH an email a bit ago asking why Galaxy has fallen off a cliff. I got a response stating that the wildfires they had affected crops there for a long time. Who knows though? I brew small batches (1.5G) and I do have some 2022 Galaxy. I could take one for the team, but probably won't get to it for a few weeks.

Going to brew a TIPA strength version on Sunday and want to try the Hochkurz mash again to increase fermentability so the beer doesn't peace out on me in the 30's again like it did the last time I tried a TIPA. I'm kinda struggling with getting the right schedule with step mashing so what would be a good one? I'm thinking 145F for 30 minutes, 159F for 45 and a 15 minute mash out. How does this sound? Aiming for an OG of 1.097 and FG of 1.020. Will be using Verdant yeast. I'm struggling to get my head around the times for each step as the last time I tried it I think my lower rest was too long and the beer finished at 1,012 and was just too low. Going for the hop schedule of Riwaka, Nelson and Citra from @Dgallo TIPA thread.

@Dgallo How would you split up 4 oz Nelson, 4 oz Riwaka, and 6 oz Citra in a ~7% NEIPA?
I’d probably use the Riwaka and Citra hotside then Citra/Nelson dryhop.

Hotside
2:1 Riwaka/Citra

Dryhop
1:1 Nelson/Citra.

What would be even more perfect if you also had/have 2 oz of Citra LUPOMAX or cryo. Then the dryhop ratio would be;

Dryhop
1:1:0.5 Nelson/Citra t90/Citra cryo

Hotside

Dryhop

What would be even more perfect if you also had/have 2 oz of Citra LUPOMAX or cryo. Then the dryhop ratio would be;

Dryhop

Interesting. Mind sharing your thought process?

My initial thought was to go mostly Citra hotside and DH with the Riwaka/Nelson.

Interesting. Mind sharing your thought process?

My initial thought was to go mostly Citra hotside and DH with the Riwaka/Nelson.
Kinda a mix between experience and preference. I believe the genuine “true hop” character that Riwaka has shows it’s self better on hot side. This is a combo I use fairly often. I also like to use my dank, earthy, resinous, pithy citrus type hops on the hotside and my “bright” hops in the dryhop.

Hotside

Dryhop

Dryhop

Thanks for sharing! I saw this just moments too late and went with 1:1:1 ratio, I'll report on the results in a month or so.

Hotside

Dryhop

Dryhop
Good advice. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the question.

Pity this didn't come about before I brewed my TIPA yesterday. I kept back most of my Riwaka for the dry hop. Planning to go with 6oz Riwaka and 4oz each of Nelson and Citra. Citra will be a combination for Lupomax and T90. Never used Riwaka before so unsure what's the best use of it.

Pity this didn't come about before I brewed my TIPA yesterday. I kept back most of my Riwaka for the dry hop. Planning to go with 6oz Riwaka and 4oz each of Nelson and Citra. Citra will be a combination for Lupomax and T90. Never used Riwaka before so unsure what's the best use of it.
Yeah I've never used it either, so I wasn't really thinking earthy/dank based on the YVH description of "sweet fruit, powerful citrus aromas of pink grapefruit, fresh and zesty aroma". I'm thinking it should be nice in the dry hop.

Well Mr. Kimmich likes your way:

(Sorry for the FB links, couldn't find #56 elsewhere.)

It’s going to make a fine beer regardless.

I am still working from my 2021 Riwaka (I got 3 lbs of it since it was exceptionally hard to get at that time). All 3 bags of mine, probably from the same lot, were very NZ “hoppy”, with pithy grapefruit.

@Anteater , I meant that I tend to use those types of hops hotside. Riwaka falls under the Hoppy, Pithy citrus to me.

My only comment on this video.....why does a man from new england have a terrible towel in the video. Couldn't bring myself to watch the video...traitor. lol

Because of course he's from Pittsburgh.

I had these in memory because I too was recently deciding how to use my Nelson. I couldn't bring myself to "waste" it hotside though, so I went with I7 and Chinook, 3 lb/bbl Nelson added near terminal, and a hint of other NZ hop oils after.

Because of course he's from Pittsburgh.

I had these in memory because I too was recently deciding how to use my Nelson. I couldn't bring myself to "waste" it hotside though, so I went with I7 and Chinook, 3 lb/bbl Nelson added near terminal, and a hint of other NZ hop oils after.
That had to be a major nelson bomb. How’d it come out?

Just got back from NZ where I was working for the week. Called into NZ hops to try and buy from the source - glad I did. 500g each of Nelson, Taiheke, Nectaron & Motueka. Was really cool being in the region and driving through all the towns that the hops are named after. Not to mention the hops were basically half price. Tried some really good beers while I was there also with a standout being a nectaron / motueka pale ale. There definitely seems to be more of a regional flavour to the beers I had which was great to see, certainly a lot more than when I was last there pre-covid. Looking forward to using these hops in a few hazies & WC style beers soon.

Sample yesterday 15 days post-brew was still a bit green and under-carbed, but it's certainly Nelson-forward! I'll post up more info when it's ready.
Def interested to hear how it turns out

I actually just brewed a double NEIPA on Saturday;

Hotside
1:1 Galaxy/Strata cryo

It’s still undecided but..
Dryhop
2 : 1.5 : 1.5 Citra LUPOMAX/Galaxy/Nelson

Just got back from NZ where I was working for the week. Called into NZ hops to try and buy from the source - glad I did. 500g each of Nelson, Taiheke, Nectaron & Motueka. Was really cool being in the region and driving through all the towns that the hops are named after. Not to mention the hops were basically half price. Tried some really good beers while I was there also with a standout being a nectaron / motueka pale ale. There definitely seems to be more of a regional flavour to the beers I had which was great to see, certainly a lot more than when I was last there pre-covid. Looking forward to using these hops in a few hazies & WC style beers soon.
Can I ask what brewery you got the one ale ale from?

It’s going to make a fine beer regardless.

I am still working from my 2021 Riwaka (I got 3 lbs of it since it was exceptionally hard to get at that time). All 3 bags of mine, probably from the same lot, were very NZ “hoppy”, with pithy grapefruit.

@Anteater , I meant that I tend to use those types of hops hotside. Riwaka falls under the Hoppy, Pithy citrus to me.
Hope so. I pretty much went with your schedule on your TIPA thread but scaled the rate to around 14oz dry hop. Out of curiosity, is your brewing schedule different for a TIPA compared to as DIPA? As in would you still dry hop and keg in the same time scale or do you leave the beer sit in the fermenter longer to condition before dry hopping?
I was all set to keep to my usual schedule of soft crashing around day 12-14, transfer to dry hop keg and carry on as normal, but was talking to a friend of mine from my brew club and he said I'd need to leave it in the fermenter for a good few weeks to let the alcohol heat settle. He's got me thinking and wondering now as I'd rather, dry hop and keg as normal and leave condition in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Got some 2022 Riwaka today so will mix that with my 2021 Riwaka I got from Yakima.

Back