Noob IPA recipe...F.G. seems high???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDBREW26

Reaction score
So...I decided to try my own IPA recipe. Considering I have done one kit maybe this was a bad idea. The O.G. was 1.062 and the F.G. was 1.021. So that would make this brew 5.38 ABV. It has been in the primary for 10 days. I am thinking the F.G. is too high. Heres the recipe.

6lbs Pale DME
1lb Amber DME
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Crystal Malt
2tsp Gypsum
.25 oz Each of Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus(FWH)
.25 oz each of Amarillo and Columbus (60 min)
.5 oz each of Amarillo and Centennial (10 min)
.5 oz of Amarillo (5 min)
.75 oz of Centennial (5min)
1 oz cascade Dry hop

Yeast: White labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

So... what do you think..is the F.G. too high????

Yes, it's too high and it's not done yet. You should expect it to be around 1.012 or so. Either let it sit for a while, or gently swirl it a bit to rouse the yeast, and keep it at 68 degrees or so.

:off:
(By the way- why the FWH and the gypsum? just curious. Never seen that in an extract batch before. How did you do the FWH with the extract batch?)

Thanks I'll give it a swirl.

Well I kind of merged 2 recipes and the one had gypsum in it.

And for the FWH(which I might have done this totally wrong or I might not even understand the concept) I steeped the grains at 155 for 30min and threw in the hops while steeping the grains. If I'm not understanding FHW please correct me.

Thanks I'll give it a swirl.

Well I kind of merged 2 recipes and the one had gypsum in it.

And for the FWH(which I might have done this totally wrong or I might not even understand the concept) I steeped the grains at 155 for 30min and threw in the hops while steeping the grains. If I'm not understanding FHW please correct me.

Ok, thanks for explaining it. I wasn't understanding what you meant. I never used gypsum in extract brewing (I have hard water), so I was wondering why it was added. FWH means "First Wort Hopping" and I add the hops with my first runnings out of my mash tun. I didn't realize you steeped it with the grains. Very interesting- let us know how it turns out! Thanks! :mug:

I just wanted to add, if you have the temperature swinging more than 8-10 degrees F, that may shock the yeast and slow down the fermentation. I would roust the yeast, (gently rock the carboy/bucket) to re-suspend them and try to keep the temp nice and even around 68F.
I know it's hard keeping billions of workers happy, but you got to do it.

I checked the specific gravity today and it did not change it is still 1.021. I think I'm stuck.

I read that racking the beer to the secondary may put the yeast back to work because due to the oxygen from siphoning. I would imagine swirling would do the same....right??? Any advice??

On the bright side the brew tastes great.

Don't rack to secondary, you will lose all the yeast that has settled out. Just swirl the carboy/bucket to get the yeast back into suspension. Let it sit for another week and then check it. You should be fine.

Back