No fermentation after re pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew4you

Reaction score
Well, I’m about to toss this batch of cider. I had no activity after 3 days with temps of 60-65. I measured gravity and no change from OG of 1.060. I raised 5 degrees and aerated again. After a few hours of no activity I made a new yeast started and re pitched. My yeast is red Star premier Blanc, stored in a fridge and is good till 2021. I used fresh from Machado Orchard in Auburn Ca. The jug said pasteurized with no added sugar. It didn’t contain preservatives as far as the label showed.
I’m pretty sure the batch is no good. I am just wondering if I did something wrong or just shouldn’t use their juice. Any ideas or a possible save is appreciated.
Thank you
Sam

I'm hoping one of the cider makers can jump in and help troubleshoot.

After 3-4 days you should see some signs of fermentation, some krausen, foaming, little bubbles, cloudiness.

Don't dump it yet, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, let it be. Some fermentations can be slow to start and very quiet.

Are you sure there are no sorbates in there?

Put some of the yeast in a cup with some fresh apple juice or grape juice. Stir well to make sure enough oxygen gets dissolved in the juice and wait for a couple of days. Yeast needs enough oxygen to reproduce.

I'm hoping one of the cider makers can jump in and help troubleshoot.

After 3-4 days you should see some signs of fermentation, some krausen, foaming, little bubbles, cloudiness.

Don't dump it yet, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, let it be. Some fermentations can be slow to start and very quiet.

Are you sure there are no sorbates in there?
Call the orchard and ask if they treat their cider with either potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate. Some CA cider mills do that.

I’m gonna keep it and use as a learning experience. I was planning on calling to ask questions about their cider. I have another cider in fermentation, could I siphon some off to use as kick start. I used a degasser to aerate it when I repitched. It’s a grocery store one I have used before with great results. I’ve always used the premier blanc from red star. I just ordered ec 1118 since it seems to be a popular yeast among cider makers and sounds like it will fit my flavor pallet.

Last edited:
Call the orchard and ask if they treat their cider with either potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate. Some CA cider mills do that.
Orchard said they press directly into containers to sell. No pasteurization or additives of any kind.
The grocery store batch is already fermenting away and the pint of juice with yeast is showing signs of fermentation. As soon as it gets going I will aerate original must and pitch. I’ll keep updating as I see changes and what I’ve done.

Just so everyone knows my cider Started showing signs of fermentation two days ago and is still readily fermenting. I warmed some apple juice and pitched yeast in a mason jar. I then added raisins that I boiled and mashed up in water. That little jar was active in 30 minutes. I let it go over night, I aerated must and poured it in. Thank you for all your help!

Back