No Chill Zombie Dust Correction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfBrewing

Reaction score
Greetings fellow brewers. :mug:

At the local homebrew meetup, I tried a Zombie Dust clone, and it was amazing. Once I figured out that he keeps his doors locked at night, I figured I'd just brew up my own batch.

The issue is, I am a no-chill brewer (for tons of reasons I won't get into). So I'm trying to convert this beer's hop schedule to match. Normally I don't give it much thought, but I'd like to match this one as close as possible while still using no-chill methods. Here's the recipe. I got it from him, but it matches a popular one on here.

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.073
FG: 1.018
Bitterness (IBU): 93.8
Color (SRM): 10.7
ABV: 7.2%

Grain/Sugars:

11.75 lb Two-row (US), 81.7%
1.13 lb Munich (US), 7.9%
0.50 lb Carafoam, 3.5%
0.50 lb Crystal 60L, 3.5%
0.50 lb Weyermann Melanoidin, 3.5%

Hops:

0.75 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) 90 min, 33.1 IBU
1.25 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) 15 min, 27.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) 10 min, 20.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) 5 min, 11.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) 1 min, 2.4 IBU
3.00 oz Citra (AA 14.1%, Pellet) dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

London Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

For no-chill, I always just toss all flavor hops in the no-chill vessel. This seems to be a popular method. However, I'm struggling with how to estimate the IBU contribution.

The internets suggest to calculate as an addition from 10 minutes all the way up to 25 minutes, depending on who you are listening to.

I read an aussie post that actually lab tested the IBU contribution, and he said 25-30 minutes equivalent.

If I assume it acts like a 25 minute addition, then 4 oz of citra in the cube will give me the right bitterness. If I assume it acts like a 10 minute addition, then I need to add some FWH or 60 min additions.

Any thoughts or experience on how to estimate the IBU contribution from no-chill cube hops?

Doing no-chill myself and wondering about this for all my brews. Just posting to keep an eye on this thread and see what people have to say.

Latest posts

Back