No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnenieGone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings No-Boil Enthusiast! After plenty of discussion and questions, decided to finally post my No-boil Hefeweizen recipe. The idea is to post and discuss no-boil recipes/techniques here not to debate no-boil brewing. I already know it works (at least for this recipe). Below is the recipe used including details. Feel free to share your own experiences. I will post other potential recipes also. Enjoy and Happy Brewing!

No-Boil Hefeweizen v4
3lbs - DME Pilsner
3lbs - DME Wheat
1oz - Sterling Hops (10min)
1pk - WLP300 Hefe Yeast
RO - 3.75gal
ABV = 5.8% (1.059 - 1.015)
IBU = 14

Bring hops to boil in about 1 pint RO water for 2min then turn off heat and rest for 5-10min. Mix in DME with 3.75gallons RO (or preferred water) with .25tsp Gypsum/.5tsp Calcium Chloride into a sanitized fermentation vessel. Add boiled hops through sanitized strainer or just add. Pitch yeast. Total time = 15min including clean-up.

And remember to sanitize the shizit out of everything!

Last edited:
No-Boil Belgian IPA (not brewed)
3lbs - DME Golden Light
3lbs - DME Wheat
1pk - Belle Saison Yeast
1oz - Cryo Citra (2min)
1oz - Cryo Eukenot (WP20min)
1oz - Cryo Citra (DH 10days)
1oz - Cryo Eukenot (DH 10days)
RO - 3.75gal
ABV = 6.8% (1.067 - 1.016)
IBU = 52
Boil hops in RO water and add through sanitized SS strainer.

DH added at day2 fermentation. Start cold crash at day 7 or 8.

Last edited:
No-Boil French Saison (not brewed)
2lbs - DME Pilsner
2lbs - DME wheat
1.5oz - Tettnang (15min)
.5oz. - Tettnang (5min)
1pk - WLP590 French Saison Yeast
RO - 3.25gallons
ABV - 4.5% (1.045 - 1.011)
IBU - 27

Last edited:
No-Boil Rye IPA (Not Brewed)
3.3lbs - Briess LME Rye
2lbs - DME Golden Light
1oz - Cryo Citra (2min)
1oz - Cryo Eukenot (WP 20min)
1pk - OYL-200 Tropical
2oz - Loral (DH 10days)
RO - 3.5gal
ABV = 6.2% (1.057 - 1.007)
IBU = 69

Last edited:
No-Boil Coco Porter (Not Brewed)
2lbs - LME Briess Porter
1.5lbs - DME Golden Light
1lbs - DME Wheat
1oz - Northern Brewer (15min)
1pk - Safale 04 English Yeast
2oz - Coco Nibs (secondary 10days)
(maybe coffee??)
RO - 3.5gal
ABV = 4.8% (1.050 - 1.013)
IBU = 23

(Edit: Looking into an overnight mash of speciality grains. Then mix all in AM. This would still adhear to the 'spirit' of the No-Boil/quick brew project.)

Last edited:
No-Boil Hefe
20181225_151126.jpeg

Never tried a no boil batch but your post makes me want to give it a try. What is your favorite recipe of the ones posted above? (And assuming this question doesn't create an unintended debate about boil vs no boil, what do you see as the biggest difference in end result vs boiling, if anything)

Never tried a no boil batch but your post makes me want to give it a try. What is your favorite recipe of the ones posted above? (And assuming this question doesn't create an unintended debate about boil vs no boil, what do you see as the biggest difference in end result vs boiling, if anything)
I've only done the Hefe. 1st batch I sent some out on the FotHB (Home brew trade thread). It was refered to as "exquisite". Once I said it was a no-boil, they were floored. I've never done an AG Hefe so I have zero comparison. But it does taste as good or better then many retail versions I've had. It was a bit sweet so changed the hop from saaz to Sterling. Last batch was too thin so settling on a 3.5-3.75gal batch.

We had a very busy year so this idea just came to me. Think IPAs/Porters might be tougher to get right but for a 15-30min brew day willing to try.

Let me know if you give it a go!

Last edited:
@afro_lou and @TwistedGray are the ones which commented. Not bragging but trying to help folks such as yourself. [emoji106]

Nice recipes! Going on the to-do list, for sure. Now that I’ve got the system streamlined, I’m actually brewing a lot more often! Had to wait for the kids to get a little more self-reliant, but it’s been worth the wait. Might have to get in on that HBFOTD one of these rounds... [emoji16]

Has anyone tried to brew an all-grain No-Boil NEIPA? I'd be interested in tips/suggestions.

My plan is to heat the wort to 175 and just whirlpool the hops for 20-30 minutes, skipping the boil completely -- since there are no hops added during the boil. (I'll use 2-row for the base instead of my regular pilsner to help keep the DMS away.)

I've seen a lot of DME recipes, but I have to believe it would work with all-grain too, right? Or is there a reason most of the no-boil recipes are using DME? I'm not opposed to using DME (I recently made a partial mash BIAB with 1/2 DME & LME and it turned out good) -- it would certainly shorten my brew day.

Also not seeing LME in the no-boils, so I am guessing people are worried it won't mix in well enough or something?

I'm trying to dial-in my all-grain NEIPA, and I can't do a full boil on my kitchen stove (which I use in the winter). If I don't have to boil, then I bet I could get two kettles up to 175 and end up with 6 gallons into the fermenter.

Thoughts?

Has anyone tried to brew an all-grain No-Boil NEIPA? I'd be interested in tips/suggestions.

Your ideas are well worth trying. I did a PM porter where I heated water to 180F. I added speciality grains about 120 and removed at 180. Boiled hops for a few min on the side. It came out drinkable but a bit ashy and certainly nothing special.

I've been thinking about setting up a specialty grains mash at night to 160F. Put in grains, turn off heat and just air cool over night for an AM No-Boil. Plan on trying this for the stout and dubbel.

As far as the hop thing, needs more research aka experimental data. Thinking more about it I not going to boil any longer then 15min on any hops bittering or not, then go from there.

My NEIPAs will be easy since I'm not boiling hops at all. But it'll be all DME which is the idea, keeping brewing under 30min or so of our time.

Last edited:
Hi piano thanks for the recipes. I am a no boil enthusiast too! I am glad you started this thread. I posted heavily on the other thread about All Grain no boil sanitation considerations. I posted charts and fought off naysayers etc. But these recipes are clever. I have personally posted on thread after thread helping newbies Etc, understand that DME is created through Wort being boiled to powder. As such it would require no boil for sanitization. I've sent people in the direction of basic Brewing radio and their 15-minute Ales, but I've never actually brewed with DME or seen anybody test the theory of pure sanitization out of the bag. I'm so glad you have tested it with that Hefeweizen. All Grain no boil has some other considerations. The biggest one being stability. I had to make a no boil for Thanksgiving last year because I was late and wanted my pumpkin beer. Now it could have been the no boil pumpkin, and I think it likely was, but it went downhill fast.

DME doesn't have that problem. It has already been boiled, massively at that. I recently started a thread considering extract Brewing because Palmer and zchef wrote every recipe in Brewing classic styles in extract. And if you don't have that book, I suggest splashing out the five bucks for it on Google. I've been on the edge of buying 50 lbs of bulk DME but I think this might take me over the edge. I made it clear that I don't like Brewing but I love to drink beer. And I can't help but see something like this as a great way to keep a pipeline going. You Brew all the time and make awesome beers. You are nowhere near Lazy like me what's up with you and no boil? As long as the spoon has been sanitized and fermenter should be pretty straight forward.

As an idea to add partial mash grains, maybe, heat 1, 2 or 3 gallons up to 170 with specialty grains in the whole time. Squeeze grains and add that water to fermenter. Cool it with top off water and dme. Or maybe do a small side whirlpool with the grains like the hops?

Brother, DME 100% needs to be sterilized with heat. Yeast and bacteria are in the air at all time at the the factory and will end up on the DME. The reason it doesn’t ferment in the package is due to the lack of moisture.

The problem with no boils is sterilization. You can certainly pasteurize the wort at temps above 175 and hold it there for 30-45 minutes. But holding it at the temp for that long will take longer than it would to crank up the heat and boil it for 10 mins to kill everything. No boils can certainly be done but sterilization truly needs to be taken into account

I'm definitely NOT an AG no-boil guy. I'm a 10g cooler, clarification, calculate water chemistry, sparge kind of guy. Doing an AG Dubbel this morning...going on 5hrs now.

The No-Boil Hefe was a shot in the dark and turns out really good. So thats what got me thinking about other styles. 30min of my time max that's the challenge here. Doing any high temp mash would be out unless starting the night before.

Brother, DME 100% needs to be sterilized with heat. Yeast and bacteria are in the air at all time at the the factory and will end up on the DME. The reason it doesn’t ferment in the package is due to the lack of moisture.

The problem with no boils is sterilization. You can certainly pasteurize the wort at temps above 175 and hold it there for 30-45 minutes. But holding it at the temp for that long will take longer than it would to crank up the heat and boil it for 10 mins to kill everything. No boils can certainly be done but sterilization truly needs to be taken into account
I refer you to the above craft beer experts who have tried. Thoughts/theory and reality are 2 different things. Done 3 hefe's now with zero infections/off flavors. Did you read everything before posting? I said that about sanitation.

I refer you to the above craft beer experts who have tried. Thoughts/theory and reality are 2 different things. Done 3 hefe's now with zero infections/off flavors.
Like I said. It can be done. The risk of infection is there with a no boil. You’ve either been lucky or you’ve held it at the correct temp for long enough to kill wild yeasts/bacteria’s. It’s not theory I’m providing. This is science of single cell organisms. It’s what louis pasteur became famous for and saved countless lives from drink unsterile milk.

I recently brewed a no boil two gallon batch.
I heated two quarts of water to near boiling and mixed in 12 ozs. of light dme. I then added 2/3 oz. of homegrown goldings to steep for 30 minutes. Then I mixed in another pound of light dme and added six quarts of cold water and pitched S-189.
It went from 1.041 to 1.010 in three days. While not my best beer it did turn out good.

Like I said. It can be done. The risk of infection is there with a no boil. You’ve either been lucky or you’ve held it at the correct temp for long enough to kill wild yeasts/bacteria’s. It’s not theory I’m providing. This is science of single cell organisms. It’s what louis pasteur became famous for and saved countless lives from drink unsterile milk.
I double dog dare you to try No-Boil Hefe v4 per instructions.

For the record he didn't give a **** about milk. He was researching why beer spoils.

Last edited:
I recently brewed a no boil two gallon batch.
I heated two quarts of water to near boiling and mixed in 12 ozs. of light dme. I then added 2/3 oz. of homegrown goldings to steep for 30 minutes. Then I mixed in another pound of light dme and added six quarts of cold water and pitched S-189.
It went from 1.041 to 1.010 in three days. While not my best beer it did turn out good.
I believe that's a key here. Are these award winner recipes?? Probably not. Is my Hefe recipe a traditional 1580 German authentic recipe? No. Does it taste good to great? Yes! 15min brew that taste good to great?? Oh yeah!!

I didn’t claim he cared about milk, just stated that because of him countless lives were saved from drinking unsafe milk. Lol
Have you watched "How Beer Saved the World?". It's on Amazon Prime. Discovery Channel did it like 12yrs ago. It's my bible. Think it cost a couple bucks but what the hell.

Maybe a mod could turn this into it’s own genre, instead of a topic on General Homewbrew Discussion.

I’m thinking of trying a BIAB full volume/No Boil/No Chill.
I dropped this link in another thread, and it intrigued me.
He did a smaller batch, but it worked out (apparently), so I’m sure scaling it up to a 5 gallon would produce similar results?

Edit: Also, he put all the hop additions into the mash.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/content/no-boil-experiment
I hope you duplicate the results. The 2nd part of no-boil for me is fast brewing. 30min or less. 15min optimum from gathering to cleanup. Any kind of large scale heating obviously requires cooling and takes way more time then I want to spend experimenting. Please post any results. There seems to be interest here about that style of brewing.

Op requested this not be a no boil debate thread. I started a thread for that and we should ask mods to post these good questions there. If you dont mind go over to that thread and ask these questions there, I would be happy to discuss that there. It doesnt feel right here.

Pianoman the all grain no boil rocks too. Cant wait to give no boil dme a try. A neipa no boil recipe was just posted, it looks sweet.

Last edited:
I hope you duplicate the results. The 2nd part of no-boil for me is fast brewing. 30min or less. 15min optimum from gathering to cleanup. Any kind of large scale heating obviously requires cooling and takes way more time then I want to spend experimenting. Please post any results. There seems to be interest here about that style of brewing.
He let his chill overnight, which I thought was interesting.
You’d basically add a day to your fermentation schedule, but you would save time on the brew day still (an hour or so), by losing the boil.

He let his chill overnight, which I thought was interesting.
You’d basically add a day to your fermentation schedule, but you would save time on the brew day still (an hour or so), by losing the boil.
That's good news! I plan on mashing speciality grains for a stout/dubbel and cool overnight maintaining the 30min or less work time goal. This where I get more concerned with infections.

Did you use pitching temp water? Was dme in sealed factory or bulk? I wonder if a bulk bag of dme could have more sanitation considerations. Maybe vacu seal it when I get it.

yep and sealed and controlled temp as usual for me

Actually thinking about ensuring everything is in lbs increments or brewing 2 beers if not to limit air contact.

HAHA!! 2 beers or 3 in 15min!! Woot Woot!!

Last edited:
Woot, woot, I'm on the train, hoping for beer nirvana. Maybe little small batches of different types. Get the old mr beer kegs going. With a canner. You could go nuts. Prime in the can.

I am thinking worse case I heat 2 gallons or whatever with the dme to 160 at the most. It will pass 145, 150, 155 on the way. Thats the rationale in a nutshell. Then chill with top off. I probably wont though. Once I taste one good hoppy beer I will be like a wild animal starved for food, srsly. Tearing through brewing classic styles.

As a final thought all grain no chill has a marvelous fresh grain taste to it. I wonder if that hefe has some of that fresh taste and could in fact taste better than a boiled one? I have never used dme but why would essentially double boiling it make it better?

A few years back when I was getting started with beer brewing, I was feeling a little frustrated with extract beers being too dark, and I needed a fast batch for company. I mixed hopped lme right in the fermenter and pitched when the filtered tap water warmed to room temperature. It turned out okay, and was drinkable. I like the idea of using hop teas you’ve outlined. One never knows just how hoppy or even what hops are used in pre hopped lme from what I’ve seen anyway.

A few years back when I was getting started with beer brewing, I was feeling a little frustrated with extract beers being too dark, and I needed a fast batch for company. I mixed hopped lme right in the fermenter and pitched when the filtered tap water warmed to room temperature. It turned out okay, and was drinkable. I like the idea of using hop teas you’ve outlined. One never knows just how hoppy or even what hops are used in pre hopped lme from what I’ve seen anyway.
Water chemistry is so important to the outcome. Kiosk RO seems consistent. $2/5gal is well worth it imho.

Back