No airlock activity after 3 days - Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last Friday I brewed northern brewer's three hearted ale kit. I nailed the gravity reading at 1.064 and brought down the wort to proper temp before adding in the water and yeast to the bucket. I used the provided wyeast and allowed it to expand (smackpack) for 3 hours prior to pitch. It has now been 3.5 days and I still don't have any airlock activity. The brew has been at a steady 72-73 temp range in a sanatized ale pail with a bubble style airlock. Paranoid?

Any insight would be awesome!

Greg

How old was the smak pak? Smak paks normally dont contain enough yeast for certain styles of beer.

Normally you need a starter for the smak paks. Give it another day and then pitch a dry yeast appropriate to the style.

Is it in a pail? You might have a leak somewhere that is allowing your CO2 to escape. Have a look inside and see if there is a krausen forming. As well, you can push down on the lid a little to get a couple of bubbles through the airlock. You'll see the liquid climb up the center tube as a result of the slightly negative pressure you just created. If it drops right away, you have a leak.

Fingers said:
Is it in a pail? You might have a leak somewhere that is allowing your CO2 to escape. Have a look inside and see if there is a krausen forming. As well, you can push down on the lid a little to get a couple of bubbles through the airlock. You'll see the liquid climb up the center tube as a result of the slightly negative pressure you just created. If it drops right away, you have a leak.

I just looked inside and there isn't really a krausen. When I push on the top of the bucket, the water rises, and when I let go, it falls back down. I may just have a leak....

I plan on pitching a new yeast tomorrow hopefully..

Greg

Before you pitch a new yeast, check the sg today and see if any fermentation is/was going on. Sometimes it goes along without a bubble, and suddenly it's done. It's worth a try to check the sg, and if it's the same, go ahead and pitch yeast tomorrow.

Greggy said:
I just looked inside and there isn't really a krausen. When I push on the top of the bucket, the water rises, and when I let go, it falls back down. I may just have a leak....

I plan on pitching a new yeast tomorrow hopefully..

Greg

If there's no krausen, there likely isn't any activity. For the seal test, you have to push down hard enough that a few bubbles go through the air lock. This will produce a negative pressure in the pail and pull the liquid back a little ways through the air lock. Be gentle, you don't want to suck the liquid INTO the fermenter.

In this case, I think Yoops and Vorlauf are on the right track.

A hydrometer reading is the best method to see what is or isn't going on.

Yes, it's fermenting! It's probably pretty close to done. Seal it back up and wait another week!

Edit- and try to keep it in the 68 degree range if you can.

YooperBrew said:
Yes, it's fermenting! It's probably pretty close to done. Seal it back up and wait another week!

Edit- and try to keep it in the 68 degree range if you can.

Funny you say the 68 temp range. That's exactly what it is at now.

Greg

Back