No activity in airlock after 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostdragon

Reaction score
So, this is my batch of home brewing, ever.

Two days in to the process. I can hear bubbling / sparkling from my 5l / 1.3 gal container but the airlock shows no activity. I've double-sealed the lid and secured it with duct tape all around as a third, so there is literally no possibility of gas moving through any other route.

Or there'a a tiny leak somewhere.

The receipe was made for 5l container, so there shoukd be no issues with scaling.

Should I MacGyver something more or just let it be for a few week?

let it go a couple more days and take some gravity readings. With out knowing all the other variables about your process and yeast that's about all can be said.

You need to get a hydrometer. It's the only way to know for sure. Then you won't need to seal the top at all, just a covering to keep the bugs out.

Second on the hydrometer. Also, you should be degassing at least once a day during the 1st 7 days of the ferment. You can do that by either gently shaking or stirring until there are no more bubbles.

I also do not use an airlock (just cover with a tshirt) until I have transferred to secondary (around day 7 typically).

Alright, I somply waited, and now, after almost a week it has started to bubble like crazy. It was just slow to start, and now I get a bubble or two every ten seconds.

A guy recommended adding more honey after two weeks to keep the reactions going, and since I do want sweet mead, should I do that or just wait a month instead, kill the yeast and then add?

mead is patience, i would let the thing bubble and bubble, is there airlock activity? then that means it's brewing, if its slow fermenting i would add a 1/4 teaspoon of nutrient and energizer to give it some energy, but that is all i would do, maybe some of the wiser clansmen can add better advice , but thats what i would do, skol.

mead is patience, i would let the thing bubble and bubble, is there airlock activity? then that means it's brewing, if its slow fermenting i would add a 1/4 teaspoon of nutrient and energizer to give it some energy, but that is all i would do, maybe some of the wiser clansmen can add better advice , but thats what i would do, skol.

Yeah, the airlock finally shows some serious activity.

Latest posts

Back