No action starter help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I've made two starters using smack packs. I've had no airlock action. Current starter is a cup of extra light dme and 4 cups water with a smck pack (smacked and sat 12 hours) then pitched @ about 80f and stored at 70f for 24 hours. I have no action at all. Cn i save by aerating and adding yeast nutrient? Any advice helpful.

Just as with your full batch, don't let the airlock be a determining factor of anything. In fact, most would say don't be an airlock on your starter. Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/stop-putting-airlocks-your-starters-104529/

And honestly, you won't see the same, intense activity with a starter that you will with a full batch. I never see much activity with my starters.

Like other's have said...DON'T go by arilock activity for ANYTHING...

Besides that the ONLY thing to look for with starters is a line of creamy yeasts at the bottom of the flask...You can't even use krauzens to judge if it is done...Some the krauzen comes and goes mas rapidly, if it forms one at all...

This is ALL that matters.

starter5.jpg

Have you been swirling your starters often? That will tremendously help yeast propagation!

Yep, swirl every 6 hours or so. I think i'm doing it right, just expected more off gassing. And i didnt aerate it before pitching either. Not paniking, i have a pack of dry notty here in case i get no ferm on the batch. Just warmin up to this starter thing. I've had great luck with the dry stuff for years, dont know why i'm even using a starter. I guess it just one of those things that brewers do and i dont wanna be left out. I'm sure you guys understand.

Back