NHC / NHBC 2020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHA/BA decided last night to postpone the NHC first round site judging scheduled for this weekend. I'm on the site coordinating team in Indy. There's no word yet on the fate of the overall competition and if this weekend's sites will be rescheduled, but I imagine something will be posted this weekend. These regional sites bring in 80-100 judges and 30+ stewards. It's no small affair.

I really hope they stick to a "postpone" move and not an immediate cancel. I realize the severity of this outbreak, but if there is someway to judge these beers in a safe way, I hope they at least explore it.

Damn, that sucks!! I get why they did it, but still sucks. Was really looking forward to this. Depending on the length of the post pone period, I wonder if they'll make everyone resubmit their entries.

Philadelphia judging was supposed to take place the first weekend in April but I can't imagine that is going to happen at this point. I was really happy with my 2 entries this year too!

Damn, that sucks!! I get why they did it, but still sucks. Was really looking forward to this. Depending on the length of the post pone period, I wonder if they'll make everyone resubmit their entries.

I would think they will just scrap the entire competition and refund everyone their entry fees. I'm sure a lot of people don't have any more of the beer they submitted at this point.

I would think they will just scrap the entire competition and refund everyone their entry fees. I'm sure a lot of people don't have any more of the beer they submitted at this point.
That's my thought too. Unless something drastically changes in regards to Covid-19, I don't even see the conference happening. I'm holding out buying my ticket until I at least hear something from them.

We already knew based on the posts above, but it's been confirmed...

upload_2020-3-13_16-18-22.png

upload_2020-3-13_16-18-46.png

Even though the HBC is 3 months out, I'll be shocked if it isn't cancelled. There is too much uncertainty, and would think attendance would be down. Down to the point of it makes little sense. We will see, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even though the HBC is 3 months out, I'll be shocked if it isn't cancelled. There is too much uncertainty, and would think attendance would be down. Down to the point of it makes little sense. We will see, but I'm not holding my breath.
I suspect that you're correct. All sorts of conferences are being cancelled right now for the coming months. Registration just opened recently, and i'm sure the numbers are very low.

I suspect that you're correct. All sorts of conferences are being cancelled right now for the coming months. Registration just opened recently, and i'm sure the numbers are very low.
Plus there won't be the competition final judging / results portion to draw people in either.

Back