Newbie Here!! - First Brew - Bock Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASassyBeerChick83

Reaction score
Hey! Hey! Hey!!

Newbie here!!

Setting up for a Bock Beer.

Anyone have any suggestions? Using a home-brew kit that I purchased with a glass bottle.

New to the World of Brewing & any Help would be Great!!

Peace & Love

Welcome to the hobby! What bock kit are you brewing? Does it use lager yeast, or is it a bock kit with ale yeast? Knowing that'll help to give you the right advice. Also, do as much reading, researching and brewing as you can. :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Welcome to the hobby! What bock kit are you brewing? Does it use lager yeast, or is it a bock kit with ale yeast? Knowing that'll help to give you the right advice. Also, do as much reading, researching and brewing as you can. :mug:

image-3262702763.jpg

The Malt.

image-423168301.jpg

The Malt.

image-3630336249.jpg

The Sugar.

What do you think? We chose the bock and received the malt & sugar in the kit...

And information would help!

🍻Cheers!🍻

Peace & Love

The type of yeast the kit has is a major factor. Bocks typically use lager yeast, which would mean you need to maintain a temp in the low 50's, whereas an ale is typically 60-68 degrees depending on the strain. Bocks can be fermented with ale yeasts, it just takes the right one. Because the temps are lower for lager yeasts, they require advanced equipment to maintain those temps. Some people use dedicated refrigerators, or maybe the new cool brewing cooler. Ales can be kept at the proper temperature using a simple swamp cooler. In my opinion, a bock is a difficult beer to start out with. HBT is great for finding any information related to brewing. The advanced search feature works great. Welcome to the hobby. Good luck and cheers.

Oiy... Bock a hard beer to brew... From the ingredients I have posted, do I have the correct ingredients to get a bock beer brewing? Or should I go back to my Headbrewing Headquarters to exchange the Bock for a Pale? Oiy...

Any thoughts would help!!

Peace & Love.

Hi ASBC. Ales are usually a better bet for a first brew than a lager. A pale ale is a good choice for a first brew, but so are darker beers like a stout (the fuller flavor covers up any flaws in the beer).

Look at the top of this forum for some sticky threads - you'll find lots of good info there to help get you started. As I suggested in your other post, reading the first two chapters of www.howtobrew.com is a great help, too.

If you want to see it happen, you can go to basicbrewing.com and order some instructional dvds, too.

Good luck!

I think if you have an ale yeast and a way to maintain the temp of the fermenting beer towards the low end of the yeast's range you will be fine with the Bock. If you have the lager yeast, then swapping the brew for your first go might be a good idea. Whatever you choose, you will end up with beer!!! Welcome to the hobsession! :mug:

+1 to what OClair said. The ale yeast you should have no problems as long as you can keep the temps where they need to be (which likely isn't all that big a deal).

Oh and RDWHAHB! That's the best advice any brewer can have.

Oiy... Bock a hard beer to brew... From the ingredients I have posted, do I have the correct ingredients to get a bock beer brewing? Or should I go back to my Headbrewing Headquarters to exchange the Bock for a Pale? Oiy...

Any thoughts would help!!

Peace & Love.

I think Oclair made a good point, you can brew that kit using ale yeast and make a nice beer. Lagers aren't hard, they just require the ability to control temps and keep them low, ~50 for active fermentation, 40 or below for lagering. For a first brew, ale yeast is the way to go, it's a lot less sensitive to temps, a lot less finicky, and the best part is that an ale is finished in a few weeks or so, a lager takes a lot longer in general. :mug:

I think Oclair made a good point, you can brew that kit using ale yeast and make a nice beer. Lagers aren't hard, they just require the ability to control temps and keep them low, ~50 for active fermentation, 40 or below for lagering. For a first brew, ale yeast is the way to go, it's a lot less sensitive to temps, a lot less finicky, and the best part is that an ale is finished in a few weeks or so, a lager takes a lot longer in general. :mug:

When I purchased the kit, I received a Muntons World Class Malt can in my kit. I opened the top of the lid and found a silver package - I am assuming the yeast - however, I have read and re-read the can - and I have no idea what type of yeast has been included in the kit.:confused: I am assuming that I can use the yeast that came with the kit to brew the Bock Brew??:confused: I also received instructions from my beer brewing headquarters - a step by step process... I want to work slowly here - since this is my first time beer brewing. :mug:

Yo, guys! :ban: Any help here or suggestions. I am so excited!!

Peace & Love. :mug:

image-2536136819.jpg

This is my beer set-up.. I forgot to include this pic..

See what ya think and let me know!!

Peace & Love.

When I purchased the kit, I received a Muntons World Class Malt can in my kit. I opened the top of the lid and found a silver package - I am assuming the yeast - however, I have read and re-read the can - and I have no idea what type of yeast has been included in the kit.:confused: I am assuming that I can use the yeast that came with the kit to brew the Bock Brew??:confused: I also received instructions from my beer brewing headquarters - a step by step process... I want to work slowly here - since this is my first time beer brewing. :mug:

Yo, guys! :ban: Any help here or suggestions. I am so excited!!

Peace & Love. :mug:

I'd go for a name brand dry ale yeast like Fermentis or Danstar. Munton's yeast is notoriously not so well received. For that beer, I'd use Fermentis Safale us-05, very nice, clean yeast, very temp tolerant, and makes a great beer.

You keep mentioning Homebrew HQ, and you're in TX... is that the Homebrew HQ on Coit in Dallas? My brother lives right down the road from there, I've heard good things about that place.

I'd go for a name brand dry ale yeast like Fermentis or Danstar. Munton's yeast is notoriously not so well received. For that beer, I'd use Fermentis Safale us-05, very nice, clean yeast, very temp tolerant, and makes a great beer.

You keep mentioning Homebrew HQ, and you're in TX... is that the Homebrew HQ on Coit in Dallas? My brother lives right down the road from there, I've heard good things about that place.

;) Sweet! I will look for Fermentis or Danstar while I am out. Am I needing to go back to the beer brewing store:eek:nestar: to purchase these items or can these items be found at a store - such as Whole foods or Central Market? :confused:

:eek:nestar: The store I chat about is the Homebrew HQ on Coit. Yes! I love it!! It's a small store with a lot of Awesome :cool: people who work there. I have only been there a couple of time - hence I just started this process... Sweet that your bro lives here!! :D

Peace & Love.
:mug:

;) Sweet! I will look for Fermentis or Danstar while I am out. Am I needing to go back to the beer brewing store:eek:nestar: to purchase these items or can these items be found at a store - such as Whole foods or Central Market? :confused:

:eek:nestar: The store I chat about is the Homebrew HQ on Coit. Yes! I love it!! It's a small store with a lot of Awesome :cool: people who work there. I have only been there a couple of time - hence I just started this process... Sweet that your bro lives here!! :D

Peace & Love.

You'll have to go the the brew store to get those yeasts. Go for the us-05, that's the 'Chico' or 'Sierra Nevada' strain, it's a very good yeast. And yeah, I've heard some great things about HBHQ, I was just talking to another member from your area about it earlier today because my bro wants to start brewing. He said it's a great store, very reputable, been there like 25 years. Having a good store like that close by is really helpful, I live 15-20 mins from both Northern Brewer and Midwest and while I shop at Midwest a lot, I still love the little HBS right up the road.

You'll have to go the the brew store to get those yeasts. Go for the us-05, that's the 'Chico' or 'Sierra Nevada' strain, it's a very good yeast. And yeah, I've heard some great things about HBHQ, I was just talking to another member from your area about it earlier today because my bro wants to start brewing. He said it's a great store, very reputable, been there like 25 years. Having a good store like that close by is really helpful, I live 15-20 mins from both Northern Brewer and Midwest and while I shop at Midwest a lot, I still love the little HBS right up the road.

Okay. Deal. It sucks that it closes so early.. :( That's it's only downfall. I was just there on Saturday buying my pot to start cook! ;) I might just scoot on over there again - - -because I really want to get this going. Maybe i can start later this week or over the weekend. ;) I prefer getting all of the advice that I can to help me out with the first beer. I will work on getting these yeasts for the brew! :tank:

Thanks, again for the help!

Peace & Love.

I prefer getting all of the advice that I can to help me out with the first beer.

That's a really good plan. I wish I would've done more than watch the DVD that came with my equipment kit before I did my first batch! It was good beer, but there's a lot to learn about the hobby and it really helps to have a site like this one.

That's a really good plan. I wish I would've done more than watch the DVD that came with my equipment kit before I did my first batch! It was good beer, but there's a lot to learn about the hobby and it really helps to have a site like this one.

LOL!! :mug: Our kit didn't even come with a DVD. Luckily, we have some good friends that live in Dallas - near us - who have been brewing for a while. That's who we got the idea from. Then we started drinking a lot of different beers and I have finally decided to get going on this!! :mug: I have learned, with my hubby being on another blog he uses, that I needed to start getting some advice. My hubby is a gardener! We have a vegetable garden outback and love to have tastings and cook-outs! :tank:

Any who - I just need help and some advice and knew that this would be a good place to start! :) I want to eventually get into using my own extracts and making my own brew! :mug: And then, the science of it all... I am not a nerd :eek: just curious of the world of brewing!!

Well, I have made a decision here... After much consideration to the Texas heat, I have decided to purchase a small refrigerator in time being to keep my beer brewing at a constant. I thought I might not be able to brew here in Texas... It's so hot and not many of us have basements...

Wanted to throw that idea out to you guys.. See what you thought.. At least I could regulate the temps better than an 80 degree house on 100 degree weather...

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Cheers!

I live north of Dallas, and the fermentation fridge is the best money spent!

I think that the fridge is a better fit for me because I can have room for more than one 5 gallon carboy... Do you think? That way, if I start with my Bock brew then I can start a different blend for the second and then get another 5 gallon jug... I can have two brewing beer brewing at the same time... Then, I can at least store bottle up top and in the door...

However, I do think that if I am good at this --- we shall see in about a month... ;) then I should buy the keg-orator.... Ha! :rockin:

Let me hear your opinions!! Really thinking this weekend will be my weekend!! Pricing Fridges on Wednesday!! ;) Brewing possibly Saturday or Sunday --- Fridges for fermenting!? Let me hear your opinions! :p

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Well, I have made a decision here... After much consideration to the Texas heat, I have decided to purchase a small refrigerator in time being to keep my beer brewing at a constant. I thought I might not be able to brew here in Texas... It's so hot and not many of us have basements...

Wanted to throw that idea out to you guys.. See what you thought.. At least I could regulate the temps better than an 80 degree house on 100 degree weather...

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Cheers!

Very good call! :mug:

Don't forget you'll need a temperature controller with the fridge though for your fermenting; using the stock thermostat in the fridge will not be sufficient.

If you use ale yeast to start though, you can buy your fermenter in a water batch with a wet t-shirt over it to help keep it cooler; I did this at first and it is very effective in keeping the temp of the fermenter anywhere from 3-5 degrees cooler than ambient IME.

Good luck.

Sure... The t-shirt method could definitely work here... However... I live in a 50+ year old house and it just doesn't cool real well... That's why I am looking into different options... I may have to start to the tub-o-water with a west t-shirt, water bottles and a fan... Could totally do this in my set-up... I have the room... Or if I were smart... And having the money... I should just buy a fridge and either put it on a timer or constantly check the temperature...

.... Goodness.... I need a.... Beer ;)

Peace. Love. & Beer.

.... Goodness.... I need a.... Beer ;)

:mug: I have an old house too, built in 1923 or something like that. It's hard to keep a steady temp any time, but the swamp cooler deal works really well. I don't do the t-shirt or fan, just a large rubbermaid tote (18gal?) full to the same level as the beer in the carboy, start everything off at your ferment temp and adjust with frozen bottles.

Here is a link to a blog I did on maintaining temps, there's some pics of the various swamp coolers I use. One's even just an old ale pail for 3 gal carboys.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
:mug: I have an old house too, built in 1923 or something like that. It's hard to keep a steady temp any time, but the swamp cooler deal works really well. I don't do the t-shirt or fan, just a large rubbermaid tote (18gal?) full to the same level as the beer in the carboy, start everything off at your ferment temp and adjust with frozen bottles.

Here is a link to a blog I did on maintaining temps, there's some pics of the various swamp coolers I use. One's even just an old ale pail for 3 gal carboys.

I started reading your blog... Not down but find it interesting... Talked to a friend who brewed like 10 batches.... Said he fermented here in Texas... Dallas.... Just found out he used to brew some beer... Told me that he just fermented in a dark cool room... Our bedroom is the coolest temperature wise and we have a closet that goes way back... I know it's cool in there because we have 3 pups and 2 of them sleep in there to keep them cool and it's dark. ;)

I will update on my temps as I begin the brewing my first batch :)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers!

Question....

There are a lot of abbreviations that are being used that I have no idea what they are called or used for... Can I have some help??? I know as I go I will pick up the lingo... But most of the acronyms... I have no idea what they stand for... :D

:)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers!

Question....

There are a lot of abbreviations that are being used that I have no idea what they are called or used for... Can I have some help??? I know as I go I will pick up the lingo... But most of the acronyms... I have no idea what they stand for... :D

:)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers!

Which ones are you wondering about?

Welcome to the hobby, Homebrew HQ is a great place. Kelly is a great teacher, my first brew was muntons nut brown from there. I would recommend getting Papazians book, he gas great beginner recipes. Also look into joining NTHBA. Its the local brewclub. Good Luck

I also use a storage tote with ice bottles and a t shirt, just keep a good eye on it in the summer.

Greetings!

I have taken some of y'alls advice and began reading How to Brew by John Palmer. Good stuff already. :) Learning a lot and I have been watching threads. :)

After much time, thought, advice... I am still torn about my first brew... I know that I need a fridge but I think that I have a place in my house that I can put into a large laundry hamper-like bucket in. I am going to place my carboy into it and fill the bucket with water. I have a fan that I am going to use to cool the top. I just do not see where in my small (about a 1000 sq. ft.) house where I can fit a fridge at this point. :cross: However, I believe that in time, I will Rock this Beer Brewing ;) and maybe I can step up my game as I learn so much more!

Still looking for the rest of the supplies that I need for the brew - hopefully I can start it up this weekend! Sunday, perhaps! :) heading to the Home Brew store to pick up these supplies this week. :ban:

I am getting excited to start doing this!! I think it's gonna be great! So much to learn but it's gonna be an experience! And that's what I want! To experience & learn!

So here's to you guys!
Cheers! :mug:

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Hi!!! Thank You!! I am excited to begin brewing! I think it's going to become one of my most favorite hobbies!

I also use a storage tote with ice bottles and a t shirt, just keep a good eye on it in the summer.

Yes, I think the hubby and I have decided to get a huge laundry basket with handles on the sides - like of like a bucket a keg would be stored in. :D Place the bottle in the bucket and use wet t-shirts to keep it cool. I have a dark closet in our bedroom and it's the coolest spot in the house.

It's gettin' hot here in Texas. Hopefully the rain comes and cools it off for us. ;)

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Which ones are you wondering about?

Hi!

Ummmmmm...... I don't know right now... I just learned what AAU was this morning. Just learning little bits at a time. So glad that there is a place like this!

As soon as I see something that I can't figure out, I will let ya know! Asking Questions is Always Good... ;)

Peace. Love. & Beer.

I live in the AZ desert and my house is about 80F right now. I use a large rubbermaid tub with water halfway up my Ale Pale (although up to the beer level would be better). I swap out frozen water bottles varying in size (between 1 and 2 liters) twice a day and can easily get under 62F this way with no fan and no t-shirt. You have a good plan and if you keep that temp under control you will end up with good beer! :mug:

OClairBrew said:
I live in the AZ desert and my house is about 80F right now. I use a large rubbermaid tub with water halfway up my Ale Pale (although up to the beer level would be better). I swap out frozen water bottles varying in size (between 1 and 2 liters) twice a day and can easily get under 62F this way with no fan and no t-shirt. You have a good plan and if you keep that temp under control you will end up with good beer! :mug:

Whew! Arizona must be a hot one right now!! I heard you guys set record temperatures... It definitely get ls like that here in Texas... We are only in June!! I think that is what I am gonna do to start off.. I am close to my brew shop so I might just shimmy down that way and see what I can find.

I need a thermometers... Do you recommend any? I have a cooking thermometer to test the water temperature while it boiling and what to bring it back down to.. Do I need anything else?

Also, anyone - do I need to get a calculator that measures the gravity to the alcohol content of the beer? If there are any threads on that part, I would greatly appreciate it!

Peace. Love. & Beer.

I need a thermometers... Do you recommend any? I have a cooking thermometer to test the water temperature while it boiling and what to bring it back down to.. Do I need anything else?

Also, anyone - do I need to get a calculator that measures the gravity to the alcohol content of the beer? If there are any threads on that part, I would greatly appreciate it!

Peace. Love. & Beer.

I use floating milk thermometers for most things. You can get them at your LHBS (local home brew supplier :D ) for ~$5. I'd also get a hydrometer for measuring gravity and calculating ABV. The formula for ABV is simple; OG-FG x 131.25 = %ABV.
I'd also recommend some type of software. I use BeerSmith 2, but for a long time I used BrewPal for the iPhone. $1.99 for the app and it has pretty much everything you need to design recipes. Software also helps when brewing kits, IMO. You can put in all the ingredients and it'll give you some guidelines and expected results. :mug:

"5. Rehydrate the dried yeast. Although many people skip this step with fair results, re-hydrating it assures the best results. While you are waiting for the brew water to boil, rehydrate two packets of dried ale yeast. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105°F, 35-40°C), preboiled water into your sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and wait 15 minutes.

image-363102858.jpg

image-3302601758.jpg

Next, "proof" the yeast. Start by adding one teaspoon of malt extract or table sugar to a small amount of water (1/4 cup, for example) and boil it to sanitize. (A microwave oven is good for this step.) Allow the sugar solution to cool and then add it to the yeast jar. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight. Check after 30 minutes, it should be exhibiting some signs of activity - some foaming and/or churning. If it just seems to sit on the bottom of the jar, then it is probably dead. Repeat the rehydration procedure with more yeast. (See Chapter 6 - Yeast, for more info.)"

Okay... Found this info. in John Palmer's "How to Brew" ;) I wanted to ask... Am I actually going to go this far with the yeast as it is here or do I need to just dump into the carboy? Or is this more for adding extracts and such? Trying to stay on the easiest path to start... Just keep reading information and learning new things. :)

Peace. Love. & Beer.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I use floating milk thermometers for most things. You can get them at your LHBS (local home brew supplier :D ) for ~$5. I'd also get a hydrometer for measuring gravity and calculating ABV. The formula for ABV is simple; OG-FG x 131.25 = %ABV.
I'd also recommend some type of software. I use BeerSmith 2, but for a long time I used BrewPal for the iPhone. $1.99 for the app and it has pretty much everything you need to design recipes. Software also helps when brewing kits, IMO. You can put in all the ingredients and it'll give you some guidelines and expected results. :mug:

Luckily! I am on my way to the brew shop soon!! Gonna stop and pick up a thermometer.. I have an app, actually that I have already downloaded to help with the calculations....

Let me ask this... Maybe I am missing something here.. But how do I test the gravity levels? How will I read the alcohol content? And what instrument will I use to do this?

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Luckily! I am on my way to the brew shop soon!! Gonna stop and pick up a thermometer.. I have an app, actually that I have already downloaded to help with the calculations....

Let me ask this... Maybe I am missing something here.. But how do I test the gravity levels? How will I read the alcohol content? And what instrument will I use to do this?

Peace. Love. & Beer.

A hydrometer is the tool used to measure gravity. It'll have ABV% markings too, but those are potential and not actual ABV% and only used in distilling. For beer, take a reading for OG (original gravity) after the boil and chill, before pitching and write it down. When the beer is finished, tags a few FG (final gravity) readings over three days. That's your FG. To calculate ABV%, see the formula in my last post.

As for 'proofing' dry yeast, I don't. I do rehydrate, and then pitch the rehydrated yeast. You can proof if you want, but you don't have to. In fact, you don't really 'have to' rehydrate either, you can just pitch dry by evenly sprinkling the yeast over the wort after aerating.

You need a hydrometer and test jar to use it in (maybe these came with your kit?)
http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1079
http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1083
and a "thief" or turkey baster to pull wort from your bucket or carboy:
http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1091

Check to see if any of these came with your kit.

I don't much like the floating thermometers, but if you use one, DO NOT DROP IT INTO THE WORT! They tend to sink like a rock, hit the bottom of the pot, and break. Lower it in gently. I use a ThermaPen, but any metal proble type thermometer will be good enough.

While you are at the LHBS, pick up some StarSan sanitizer. Before brew day, mix up a gallon in a gallon jug (use distilled or RO water, not tap), and then put some into a spray bottle - enormously useful for quick sanitization.

I agree you don't need to worry about the proofing of the yeast, but do rehydrate it, and aerate the wort well before pitching the yeast.

Software if useful as you get farther into brewing and BeerSmith 2 is great - it's what I use. But for your first extract brew, you really don't need it. Just follow the brewing instructions that came with your kit. The place you may want to vary from those instructions is fermentation. The kit instructions usually say to ferment for a few days or a week. Most of us have found that we get better beer by leaving it on the yeast for at least a couple of weeks - some leave it even longer.

One thing you might want to pick up, and this is completely optional depending on how much money you want to spend, is a large (6.8 or 7.9 gallon bucket) for fermenting. I see that your kit has a large bucket with a hole at the bottom for dual use as a fermenter and bottling bucket. That's the way I did my first beer and it worked out fine. But there is always the possibilty of a leak during fermentation from the spigot, and if you are going to have the bucket submerged in a tub of water, bacteria can get up into the spigot. Not likely they will get into your fermenting beer, but it just increases the chance of leaving something in that spigot to infect your beer when you use the spigot for bottling.

Back