New Zealand Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eetu

Reaction score
My local shop has stock full of 2017 NZ hops and I was planning on making a pilsner and an IPA. I've never used any NZ hops before, so this is going to be somewhat a shot in the dark.

I think I'll do 100% pilsner malt as I want it to be really crisp and make the hops shine.

-----

17L / 4.5gal

Targets:
OG 1.048
FG 1.009
ABV 5.2%
IBU 40

100% Weyermann Pilsner Malt

90min - 10g / 0.35oz Motueka
20min - 50g / 1.75oz Pacifica
Steep 10min - 40g / 1.4oz Motueka

Yeast - Saflager W-34/70

-----

Out of all the NZ hops Motueka and Pacifica looked like the ones most suitable for a pils. Might also be wise to just single hop it, but haven't had huge success with my SH beers. Except for my Galaxy IPA.

Thoughts?

Motueka is awesome in Pilsners. It’s referred to as Saaz B as it’s parentage is mostly Saaz. It adds this interesting line character that as is obvious can taste good in this kind of beer.

Motueka makes a nice single hop beer.
Ive done it several times with a basic ale malt as a smash and in another brew i added some toffee malt.

My local shop has stock full of 2017 NZ hops and I was planning on making a pilsner and an IPA. I've never used any NZ hops before, so this is going to be somewhat a shot in the dark.

I think I'll do 100% pilsner malt as I want it to be really crisp and make the hops shine.

-----

17L / 4.5gal

Targets:
OG 1.048
FG 1.009
ABV 5.2%
IBU 40

100% Weyermann Pilsner Malt

90min - 10g / 0.35oz Motueka
20min - 50g / 1.75oz Pacifica
Steep 10min - 40g / 1.4oz Motueka

Yeast - Saflager W-34/70

-----

Out of all the NZ hops Motueka and Pacifica looked like the ones most suitable for a pils. Might also be wise to just single hop it, but haven't had huge success with my SH beers. Except for my Galaxy IPA.

Thoughts?
Hahaha, I just bought exactly the same combination and wanted to brew a pils with it as well. Now I ran out of pilsener malt and will use mo instead. I will use mj California lager for it.

Back