New wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclaughlinpr

Reaction score
Looking to get a new wort chiller and don't really know what the best one is. I know there are a few types but don't know where to start. I brew small batches five gallons or less, use extract and all grain, and have a hard time cooling it in a timely fashion. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

For that setup, you want a basic immersion chiller. http://morebeer.com/search/102204 <---- these are examples of your typical setup (you wouldn't need more than 25' for a partial boil batch.

All wort chillers function as basic heat exchangers - you just run cold water through the copper chiller and it rapidly cools the wort (faster if you stir the wort so the wort runs across the cold coils.).

If you want to save some money, you can DIY. It took me about 30 minutes to make mine using this method:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can DIY a nice immersion chiller. In 2012 the parts cost me about $45 for a 20 ft chiller.
Faucet -to- male garden hose adapter $6 (swap out the faucet aerator)
Female garden hose-to- 3/8 barb adapter $9
3/8 in ID x 10 ft vinyl tubing $5
2 screw clamps $1.50
20 ft 3/8" copper tubing, Lows or HD $22
they sell 50 and 20 ft of tubing

If you want to make it much more efficient for a little more money, get a second 20 ft length of tubing and some T and L sweat fittings. Cut 10 ft and coil it to sit inside the previous kettle coils. Join coils in parallel with the fittings. Take the remaining 10 ft and coil it to sit in an ice pre-bath. You have 1.5 times the heat exchange area, a shorter run than 50 ft, and a greater temp differential between the ice bath and hot outlet.

The ice bath is very helpful getting from 100F to 70F when your faucet water temp is 55 to 60F. It increases the temp differential.

Two 25 ft coils is more effective than one 50 ft coil.

Back